• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Jeff Carter Obliterates Anssi Salmela

Rate this topic

Guest micah
Yup - I'm a firm believer that the NHL/NHLPA should get rid of these football styled shoulder pads/elbow pads that have hard plastic caps...What was worn by guys like Shanny/Chelios should be standard for each player - no exceptions!

Agreed 100%. Other than the helmet (and perhaps a chest plate), there should be no hard material on pads at all. Armour should be hard. Pads should be soft. I like the shoulder pads that Cheli and Shanny wore - neither avoided physical play due to their lack of 2" of foam plus a plastic cup.

LOL - I recall Marty McSorely wearing just the old style soft cups with no padding at all, held together with what appeared to be shoestring. Old Marty logged serious minutes, played tough as nails (except for that boneheaded slash at Brasher's head), threw his whole body into hits and never seemed bothered by his lack of padding.

It is safe to play the game without hard armour, someone just has to waive the wand and make it happen.

Those guys you've mentioned were men...These guys today - meh.

yea, you're right - the guys in today's NHL are soft

:rolleyes:

The game has gotten bigger and faster... and lets not forget, pads aren't only there to protect from hits... back in the day, you had MAYBE MacInnis and one other guy that could ratchet it over 95MPH - in today's game with the composites, guys are hitting 100 MPH regularly and the leagues hardest shooters can hit 105+... you take that in an unpadded area (or even padded for that matter) and tell me how guys that are "real men" will take that...

same materials... these are the really bad ones: Douglas%20shoulder%20pads.jpg

yea - it's those Douglas' and the old TPH (I think that was the brandname) that are brutal and don't belong in the game... I used to wear those when I played as a teenager, but it was a matter of going into a gun fight with a knife back then if you didn't - they need to remove them from junior leagues on up... and teach players more respect

Guest micah
yea, you're right - the guys in today's NHL are soft

:rolleyes:

The game has gotten bigger and faster... and lets not forget, pads aren't only there to protect from hits... back in the day, you had MAYBE MacInnis and one other guy that could ratchet it over 95MPH - in today's game with the composites, guys are hitting 100 MPH regularly and the leagues hardest shooters can hit 105+... you take that in an unpadded area (or even padded for that matter) and tell me how guys that are "real men" will take that...

The game has not gotten markedly bigger or faster since Cheli and Shanny quit playing in the NHL.

Also, as F.Michael pointed out, in the context of this discussion we are talking about hard pads that a plyer might lead with while hitting - elbows and shoulders are not critical areas to protect from slapshots.

Was a joke ;) - though I will say that I have a great amount of respect for those players who don't use the bulky pads, nor use a half-shield.

Guys should be blocking shots with their shin pads - not their upper bodies...Though extra padding for the chest/back is fine - just get rid of the hard caps on the shoulders/elbows.

I was just referring to the amount of padding - not hard caps, if you look at my other posts, I agree 100% and am VERY against hard caps on shoulders and elbows... I just think the stuff Shanny wore are too ridiculous and dangerous to the player to be honest... you can be heavily padded, while not wearing "armor" so to speak...

Was a joke ;) - though I will say that I have a great amount of respect for those players who don't use the bulky pads, nor use a half-shield.

Guys should be blocking shots with their shin pads - not their upper bodies...Though extra padding for the chest/back is fine - just get rid of the hard caps on the shoulders/elbows.

fair enough - I agree, I respect the guys that are a little crazy as well, haha

As for blocking shots, you SHOULD aim for your legs, but it doesn't always work that way... like I just said, I don't agree with hard caps whatsoever and want them removed from ALL levels of hockey, but more padding doesn't have to mean hard caps

perfect example - SWD%205030%20SHOULDER%20PADS%20SR_1.jpg

Edited by stevkrause

This ^ people need to stop getting their panties in a bunch

There's a difference between "getting your panties in a bunch" and recognizing a growing issue -

Classless hit by Carter... but also a clean hit...

I'm torn on shots like these, because this was Anssi's own fault... you put your chin down and you're ASKING to get labled, but at the same token Carter didn't even TRY and aim for his chest, and very clearly went high...

Under the current rules, nothing wrong with this hit... but the league does need to do something about this, ALONG with the NHLPA educating players better on protecting THEMSELVES and not relying on the rules...

long and the short of it, I think Carter took some liberties, but did nothing technically wrong, or against the rules... code of honor, maybe, but nothing against the rules... if a suspension or fine comes from this, it will be a shame.....

Edited by stevkrause

The game has not gotten markedly bigger or faster since Cheli and Shanny quit playing in the NHL.

Also, as F.Michael pointed out, in the context of this discussion we are talking about hard pads that a plyer might lead with while hitting - elbows and shoulders are not critical areas to protect from slapshots.

Well the game doesn't change much in under a year. But the game is definitely faster than it was about 5-10 years ago. Thanks to the new rules.

i dont know if this has been stated yet but:

i dont think the hit was "dirty" perse.

but it seemed rather late, wasnt the guy letting up after he scored a goal? decking a guy is kind of un-necessary.

Edited by kylee

to all you kids out there, you can't cut into the middle of the ice with your head down and not expect to get nailed from time to time. Keep your head up!

classic trolley tracks hit and a beauty, thats how we grew up playing the game in london ontario

Edited by redwingfan19

Guest Lidstromboli

I love the people that say "keep your head up".. when he was looking at the net while shooting.

I love the people that say "keep your head up".. when he was looking at the net while shooting.

he's scoring a goal!

it was a dumb play by jeff carter.

you can't possibly be on the defensive while scoring a goal....or can you?

To sum it up - Anssi's fault for not protecting himself - Carter's fault for a classless cheap shot AFTER the goal was already scored... more fault to Carter, but Salmela is not 100% free of responsibility for the injury...

love how ppl are calling carter classless for finishing a check. He already had samenela lined up for the hit before the puck was even in the net. It just so happens the puck went in just as they made contact

carter is know to make these hits from time to time and as our own mickey redmond says, you have to be aware of who is on the ice. If that was kronwall who made that hit people would be creaming themselves over it

yeah he hit im in his blind spot, but still a clean hit. It's one of those grey area's that the NHL needs to address in the future to if it's legal to hit a guy like that when he's vulnerable.

Edited by redwingfan19

love how ppl are calling carter classless for finishing a check. He already had samenela lined up for the hit before the puck was even in the net. It just so happens the puck went in just as they made contact

carter is know to make these hits from time to time and as our own mickey redmond says, you have to be aware of who is on the ice. If that was kronwall who made that hit people would be creaming themselves over it

yeah he hit im in his blind spot, but still a clean hit. It's one of those grey area's that the NHL needs to address in the future to if it's legal to hit a guy like that when he's vulnerable.

if you watch, the shot was already in the net when the shoulder shiver is delivered... and to one up that - maybe if he had gone after the puck instead of the hit, it wouldn't have ended up in the back of the net... he could have laid out and knocked that puck loose...

there's a difference between laying someone out as PART of the play, as opposed to doing it in SPITE of the play...

I love big hits and if you go back in this thread, I've already said, I don't see this as a punishable offense and still think Salmela should have been more heads up and was at fault for his injury as well as Carter - but to say this isn't a classless hit is laughable...

the lack of respect for fellow players in today's NHL is alarming...

Edited by stevkrause

Honestly, how would you feel if your dad or brother was in a youtube video where he was declared to be "destroyed", "killed", "obliterated", "annihilated" etc? This glorification of violence is sickening. And to respond by cheering and stating that he should have "kept his head up" -- that's sociopathic, go see somebody.

Every hit like this pulls me a bit further away from hockey. I simply don't see the joy in watching people risking other people's life and well being by acting like maniacs.

Honestly, how would you feel if your dad or brother was in a youtube video where he was declared to be "destroyed", "killed", "obliterated", "annihilated" etc? This glorification of violence is sickening. And to respond by cheering and stating that he should have "kept his head up" -- that's sociopathic, go see somebody.

Every hit like this pulls me a bit further away from hockey. I simply don't see the joy in watching people risking other people's life and well being by acting like maniacs.

Have fun on your high horse, just hope it doesn't trample a critter and you are devastated for weeks about it.

Wow. Good for you man. In all seriousness I gotta give you props for taking that stance on a hockey forum.

So this comment should be worth about 4 maybe 6 pages of discussion?

You probably shouldn't be watching hockey then. The players all accept the risk of injury by playing. Nobody here likes to see another player get hurt, but the majority of us don't feel sorry for a player who got rocked from not having his head up, a cardinal rule in hockey.

Edited by Hockeytown0001