• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DetroitWhat

Team Sweden Coach Following Franzen Progress

Rate this topic

via Jamie Bell at http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=36270.html

Johan Franzen may end up at the Olympics after all.

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Swedish Olympic team coach Bengt-Ake Gustafsson has asked Franzen to contact him following Tuesday night’s Red Wings’ game against the St. Louis Blues to give him an update on his status after a lengthy absence.

Franzen, who was not originally named to Sweden’s roster, has not played in over four months after undergoing surgery to repair an injury to his left knee.

“I’m going to call him after the game and tell him how I felt,†Franzen told the Free Press, “and then talk to him after the next game.

wouldnt mind this. he would hit the wall and come out of it during the break. also would get some timing back. with the bigger ice surface he shouldnt get knocked around to bad.

i believe they are using NHL sized rinks for this olympics

Franzen playing in the olympics could be the best thing for the Wings at this point in time. He'd come back after the break already in game shape. With only 20-something games left, there isn't really much time to let our returning players take a few games to get back into the groove.

I'm torn on of whether I would want him to go or not.

If he doesn't go, it gives him more time to rest and get 100% healthy.

If he does go, it gives him an opportunity to play some high-level hockey to get back up to game speed.

If he doesn't go, it may take him longer to get up to game speed.

If he does go, there's the possibility of having a set back from pushing to play in the Olympics.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to play in the Olympics. The game isn't as physical and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sweden bow out in the QF's this year anyway. They most certainly could make the semi's but I don't see anyone beating either Canada or Russia (unless they play each other) in that round.

He'll get 3 preliminary-round games in and there's a decent chance Sweden will be one of the top 4. With that, they'd get a bye from the bottom 8 sudden-death round and then all bets are off. If they finished with a 3-4 seed, there's a fair chance they'd be out with only 4 games under his belt.

Four games would be a solid amount of playing time and would help Mule get back into his groove without the expense of costing the Wings games if his timing is uber-off over the course of the next three games.

Now that being said, all this is beyond moot if he reinjures himself while not even playing for Detroit.

Guest mindfly

Current Injuries: Modin, Kronwall

Playing but minor injured: Forsberg, Murray

I'd say there is a good chance Franzen will be in he's the go-to-guy if there is any injury.

NFM25: Remember it's single elimination, if a goalie stands on his head even switzerland could win the olympics.. it's not a best-of-7, and thats part why it's so exciting, basically any team could win with maximum luck and some game-strealing players.

Edited by mindfly

better ******* not be, neither should kronwall

Playing in the Olympics for most European players is like playing in the Stanley Cup Finals for most North American players. As devoted as our players are to the Wings, National pride takes precedence. As it should.

how incredibly LAME. put out the most skilled players but take away that extra space that really lets them shine. was BUTTMAN behind this at all?

I disagree. I always seem to enjoy the concept of using World sized ice, until about two games into the Olympics, it gets boring. On World sized ice, the game is a slower, more side to side game, whereas NHL sized ice, is a faster up and down type game. Also, you have to figure most of players from the top tier teams (Russia, Canada, US, etc) play in the NHL anyway. Why not let them play to their maximum, on the same surface they play on for 4-6 months out of the year?

Edited by RedFlag85

I personally hope he feels great after these next 2 games and goes to play in Vancouver. I know there's a risk of injury but the thought of him getting some rust, playing with other great players, and comin back in 2 weeks on a hot streak or just without any rust could be HUGE for our playoff hopes. Either way I'm hoping for the best

Can you still change the rosters? I mean Jussi Jokinen is third among the Finns in points, but he wasn't chosen...

The rosters have to be finalized on the 15th I believe. As long as the player was in the preliminary troup he can be inserted into the roster, however it can only be as an injury replacement.

Current Injuries: Modin, Kronwall

Playing but minor injured: Forsberg, Murray

I'd say there is a good chance Franzen will be in he's the go-to-guy if there is any injury.

NFM25: Remember it's single elimination, if a goalie stands on his head even switzerland could win the olympics.. it's not a best-of-7, and thats part why it's so exciting, basically any team could win with maximum luck and some game-strealing players.

I'm fully aware of the fact that its single elimination after the preliminary round. Hell, that's part of the reason I can see Sweden getting sent home early. It's also part of the reason any team could go further then they should. Of course its exciting...it's also can be over in a flash.

Playing in the Olympics for most European players is like playing in the Stanley Cup Finals for most North American players. As devoted as our players are to the Wings, National pride takes precedence. As it should.

I disagree. I always seem to enjoy the concept of using World sized ice, until about two games into the Olympics, it gets boring. On World sized ice, the game is a slower, more side to side game, whereas NHL sized ice, is a faster up and down type game. Also, you have to figure most of players from the top tier teams (Russia, Canada, US, etc) play in the NHL anyway. Why not let them play to their maximum, on the same surface they play on for 4-6 months out of the year?

Well I'm a REDWINGS fan and the Stanley Cup is more prized anyways let them rest

Guest mindfly
I'm fully aware of the fact that its single elimination after the preliminary round. Hell, that's part of the reason I can see Sweden getting sent home early. It's also part of the reason any team could go further then they should. Of course its exciting...it's also can be over in a flash.

You just said you can't see anyone beating Canada or Russia but I think every team can beat them when it's just one game.

Sweden, 8 years ago is a different story.

Not this years' Canadian or Russian squads. Also not the 2006 Sweden club.

Sweden had a pretty good team in 2002..

I will always remember how we kicked Canada's ass in the opening game of those Olympics.. one of the best games I've ever seen Team Sweden play, I was so sure we'd win gold then :(

Sedin-Sedin-Holmstrom

Forsberg-Zetterberg-Alfredsson

Eriksson-Backstrom-Weinhandl

Modin-Pahlsson-Hornqvist

Where would he go? Maybe bump Forsberg to the third line, which would mean either Weinhandl or Hornqvist sits.

And yeah I know Holmstrom on the first line looks a little stupid but I figured why not put someone there who will just get out of the way and let the Sedins do their thing?

Guest mindfly
Sedin-Sedin-Holmstrom

Forsberg-Zetterberg-Alfredsson

Eriksson-Backstrom-Weinhandl

Modin-Pahlsson-Hornqvist

Where would he go? Maybe bump Forsberg to the third line, which would mean either Weinhandl or Hornqvist sits.

And yeah I know Holmstrom on the first line looks a little stupid but I figured why not put someone there who will just get out of the way and let the Sedins do their thing?

Sedins WILL play with Weindhandl it's like written in stone, Forsberg probably won't go he's too injured.