• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

XXI Winter Olympic Games Thread

Rate this topic

Medal Count  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only a few days away from the games.

I love the winter games. I like countries competing and especially like sports that you dont see that often like speed skating or skiing. Anyone else looking forward to the games?

Also who will be the final torch bearer and light the cauldron? I think it will be Wayne Gretzky. He is Canada's biggest athlete ever and to me makes the most sense. How he does it intrigues me a bit. Does he have his skates on? Does he make a hockey move and shot a puck into the cauldron, lighting it?? I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine.

Rough start to the Games: Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili Dies in Crash

The 21-year-old was clocked at 144.3 km/h while heading into the final turn when he hit one side of the wall, crashed into the other, and was hurled off the track. He appeared to hit a metal pole located on the side of the track.

Sad stuff.

What is with this *** little interpretive dance thing with suspension wires? Nothing says, "the world's best athletes competing in often dangerous sports" like some fruitcake dancing around a stage saturated in special effects.

is this your first olympics? They are always a bit fruity and done to represent "culture". This is an intro to the world of the host nation. The party is more at the closing night. I expect a lot of canadian music artists like Brain Adams and Nickelback to be there for that night.

Sad stuff.

From Toronto Star :

The CTV-Rogers Olympics consortium is defending its decision to air graphic video of Friday's tragic death of a Georgian luger.

"Too often, events covered by news organizations are tragic and shocking," said CTVglobemedia spokesperson Bonnie Brownlee. ``Our news policy is to treat graphic or disturbing images with care and restraint.

"After much consideration, we decided to make available the images of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili's run. We strongly warned audiences that they may find the video disturbing."

The Georgian luger's death was awful. Horrible. He came right off the course in midair and hit a pillar, or pole. I don't know anything about the sport but I can't help wondering why they don't have more protection or padded material to the sides. I know it might be difficult, but metal pillars? Man.

is this your first olympics? They are always a bit fruity and done to represent "culture". This is an intro to the world of the host nation. The party is more at the closing night. I expect a lot of canadian music artists like Brain Adams and Nickelback to be there for that night.

No, but I usually don't watch the opening ceremonies because it's just a big time filler. I just didn't understand THAT particular part of the performances because it was so out of place and ridiculous (yes, ridiculous even for what went on the rest of the time).

Sad stuff.

The Georgian luger's death was awful. Horrible. He came right off the course in midair and hit a pillar, or pole. I don't know anything about the sport but I can't help wondering why they don't have more protection or padded material to the sides. I know it might be difficult, but metal pillars? Man.

Yeah, I just watched the video and that was pretty bad. Who ever built and inspected that track must feel like garbage right about now.

they designed the course to be the fastest and toughest to tame but clearly they went overboard. Glad to see them raise that wall and make the changes but clearly too little, too late.

Luge/bobsled/skelton have always been a dangerous sport tho. Doesn't take long to find out why with the speed and challenging course. You don't break your bones, they shatter.

From Vancouver Sun :

The cavalry is coming. From Calgary, naturally. But not riding a steed.

After two consecutive days of problems with the Richmond Oval 2010 Olympia re-surfacing machines, including an embarrassing hour-and-a-half interruption of Tuesday’s men’s 500-metre final, a Zamboni is being transported from the Calgary Olympic Oval to ensure that no further glitches occur.

It’s expected to arrival via flatbed truck sometime today, but not before the women’s 500 metres was scheduled to run at 1 p.m. PST.