• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cupforwings

Kronwall out, Holmstrom doubtful

Rate this topic

Red Wings' Niklas Kronwall out for San Jose game; Tomas Holmstrom appears doubtful

By Ansar Khan

February 10, 2010, 2:02PM

DETROIT -- Update from Wednesday's Detroit Red Wings practice:

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall (knee) will not play Thursday against San Jose. Forward Tomas Holmstrom (bone bruise in left knee) skated for about 40 minutes before leaving. He said he felt better than the day before, but still not that good. He will see how he feels after Thursday's morning skate before determining whether he can play. But it appears doubtful.

Holmstrom expressed concern about whether he will be able to play for Sweden in the Olympics. If he can't play Saturday against Ottawa, he might have to withdraw. In which case, he likely would be replaced by teammate Johan Franzen.

"I felt pretty good to start with and then I got some pain in my knee,'' Holmstrom said. "We started doing drills and going hard, it was really sore.''

They skated with the same lines they started in Tuesday's game at St. Louis:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Filppula-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Maltby

May-Miller-Williams

Holmstrom (doubtful)

Eaves (out, sprained ankle)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Meech-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Kronwall (out, knee)

Howard (starting)

Osgood

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...wall_out_2.html

Edited by cupforwings

anyone else think kronwall is "resting" his knee for the olympics? I would sure hope not. This day to day stuff is BS either he's injured or he's not. I thought he was getting a new brace then would be ready to play?

as far as franzen playing in the olympics it is a double edge sword. He plays and get going and back in game shape, but there is always the risk of injury, especially with the playoff type atmosphere the Olympics can have.....

f*** that they both better not even play in the olympics unless theyre 150%

why is babs such a stubborn cock and keep those s***ty lines. atleast put williams on the 3rd. how is he expected to put up any points when hes playing on the 4th line

f*** that they both better not even play in the olympics unless theyre 150%

why is babs such a stubborn cock and keep those s***ty lines. atleast put williams on the 3rd. how is he expected to put up any points when hes playing on the 4th line

agree with this... If they go with the same lineup they did yesterday (to start with), I'm gonna freak out... They couldn't do s*** yesterday. Until Homer is back, they have to put Franzen with Hank and Pav... And Williams should definitely be on the third line. He does have skill and the ability to score, and is finally starting to get back in shape...

but the lines above didn't work and won't work... something has to change there

Can I just play devil's advocate on the Team Sweden situation for a bit?

Let's say Homer withdraws and Franzen plays ...

You get two extra weeks rest for Holmstrom, who get beat up more than anyone in hockey and was hurt all through the end of last year. And you get at least 3, and possibly as many as 7 games for Franzen to get his legs back, with the games spaced out pretty well over a two-week stretch.

Is there a risk in Franzen playing in the Olympics? Of course. But ... if it's something that might happen, I'm choosing the glass half full approach.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
anyone else think kronwall is "resting" his knee for the olympics? I would sure hope not. This day to day stuff is BS either he's injured or he's not. I thought he was getting a new brace then would be ready to play?

as far as franzen playing in the olympics it is a double edge sword. He plays and get going and back in game shape, but there is always the risk of injury, especially with the playoff type atmosphere the Olympics can have.....

I don't think this is the case. Kronwall would have been told by the Wings' medical staff that he couldn't play. Does the medical staff really care about the Olympics? If Kronwall was told he wasn't going to play by Babcock or Holland, do you think they care more about team Sweden or the Detroit Red Wings? Kronwall is more hurt then they want to let on to.

I really wish Holmstrom, Kronwall and Franzen(even as a reserve) all should withdraw from team Sweden - they could all REALLY use the rest and they're participation is going to hurt the Wings chances this year...

Franzen and Kronwall have been resting for much of the season. What they need is to play games to get up to speed.

If Franzen plays the Olympics it could very well help the Wings, since by the time the NHL picks back up he will have shaken atleast some of the rust off, instead of it taking 5-10 games after the break for him to get going at which point the Wings could already be out of the running.

Franzen and Kronwall have been resting for much of the season. What they need is to play games to get up to speed.

If Franzen plays the Olympics it could very well help the Wings, since by the time the NHL picks back up he will have shaken atleast some of the rust off, instead of it taking 5-10 games after the break for him to get going at which point the Wings could already be out of the running.

i actually agree with Franzen. he needs to games to get back into game shape and speed

Not sure about Kronwall, since his injury is a ?

<_< This injury bulls*** has been going on all year.

Yup

Yeah its really getting old now. I also don't like the team Sweden situation.

Ageed

This Kronwall injury is worse than they are letting on.

Oh yeah, no doubt

:ranting:

^^^^

What he said

Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

NFM25 seal of approval

seal-of-approval.jpg

If these players want to play in the Olympics so badly, they'd find a way to stay healthy.

Kronwall has himself to blame for trying to make that hit on Staal in the OT. That was s***ty timing for it, and he got hurt in the process. Careless play that resulted in an injury.

If these players want to play in the Olympics so badly, they'd find a way to stay healthy.

Kronwall has himself to blame for trying to make that hit on Staal in the OT. That was s***ty timing for it, and he got hurt in the process. Careless play that resulted in an injury.

You can't fault a guy for trying to make plays. Its not like anyone else is stepping up..