• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Playtawk

John Tavares - Still a strong Calder Trophy Candidate?

Rate this topic

John Tavares is this weeks zero. He has been held pointless his last 6 games and hasn't scored a goal in his last 12. He did, however, score in the shootout vs. Nashville, which hopefully will help his confidence... http://ow.ly/162km. Tavares has just two goals and seven points in the past 28 games, when he seemingly ran into a kryptonite wall. The Olympic break should do him wonders. Ryan Kennedy says that Tavares is still the most important rookie in the league, because his overall impact on his team cannot be measured by stats alone... http://ow.ly/15ZpR. Do you think he is still a strong candidate for the Calder trophy?

I think there are less goalies in the NHL than defensemen and forwards.

If Bruins trade Thomas, it could be Rask winning it.

So?

How many better goalies are there in the world (that are not in the NHL)? Is it any coincidence almost every teams' roster at the Olympics has NHL goalies. Russia is not bringing a single KHL goalie.

Howard would deserve it over Rask for the same reason Brodeur has deserved his Vezinas -- more games played and more wins, despite similar stats.

For emphasis: Howard is a Top 10 Goalie in the World right now.

Edited by egroen

hmm i think duchene is also a very strong candidate. leads the scoring by rookies and is playing very well and consistent.

Duchene:

40p in 58 games, 10p in last 10gp

Tavares:

33p in 59 games, 2p in last 10gp

So?

How many better goalies are there in the world (that are not in the NHL)? Is it any coincidence almost every teams' roster at the Olympics has NHL goalies. Russia is not bringing a single KHL goalie.

Howard would deserve it over Rask for the same reason Brodeur has deserved his Vezinas -- more games played and more wins, despite similar stats.

For emphasis: Howard is a Top 10 Goalie in the World right now.

Ehh... what? I meant that there are more forwards and more defensemen in the NHL than goalies. It's harder to be in the top 10 for them.

I'm just saying that if Thomas gets traded and Rask plays a lot he could well win it.

And I wouldn't say Howard is in top 10 even if he has played good this season. Or what does that "right now" mean then? I mean you could as well declare some goalie that best in the world right now after he's played a fantastic period. I think there are at least 10 better goalies than him, he's just playing good right now.

Tavares is #107 in scoring amongst forwards

Duchene is #70

Myers is #15 in scoring amongst defenseman

#69 in +/- amongst defenseman

Rask is #30 in Wins (12)

#3 in SV% (.931)

#2 in GAA (2.01)

Howard is #14 in Wins (20)

#6 in SV% (.926)

#9 in GAA (2.33)

Ehh... what? I meant that there are more forwards and more defensemen in the NHL than goalies. It's harder to be in the top 10 for them.

I'm just saying that if Thomas gets traded and Rask plays a lot he could well win it.

And I wouldn't say Howard is in top 10 even if he has played good this season. Or what does that "right now" mean then? I mean you could as well declare some goalie that best in the world right now after he's played a fantastic period. I think there are at least 10 better goalies than him, he's just playing good right now.

The Calder is not a lifetime achievement award... it is for only one season. Howard is a Top 10 goalie in the world this season, if he keeps it up. Throwing a bunch more AHL, SEL and KHL goalies into the league would not change that.

I think there are less goalies in the NHL than defensemen and forwards.

If Bruins trade Thomas, it could be Rask winning it.

I'll reserve my applause for when Rask gets the bulk of the starts in Boston. He's looked great so far but hasn't played the starters roll either so it's hard to say he's a better Calder candidate than Howard.

Historically goalies have had to post significant wins as well as great save and GAA numbers to win the Calder.

Tavares is #107 in scoring amongst forwards

Duchene is #70

Myers is #15 in scoring amongst defenseman

#69 in +/- amongst defenseman

Rask is #30 in Wins (12)

#3 in SV% (.931)

#2 in GAA (2.01)

Howard is #14 in Wins (20)

#6 in SV% (.926)

#9 in GAA (2.33)

I wasn't arguing about that. I was just saying that for goalies is much easier to be in top10 than for forwards. There are 360 forwards, 120 defensemen and 60 goalies in the NHL (basically). That's why Howard being in the top10 doesn't mean THAT much.

So if wins is the important stat for goalies (Howard is 14th) that means Duchene for example is basically ahead of him, because 360/70 > 60/14. If GAA and SV% are more important, then Rask is better than Howard. Also Myers is pretty darn good at scoring amongst defensemen although his +/- isn't that good. I'm just saying that I wouldn't declare Howard the winner yet.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I'll reserve my applause for when Rask gets the bulk of the starts in Boston. He's looked great so far but hasn't played the starters roll either so it's hard to say he's a better Calder candidate than Howard.

Historically goalies have had to post significant wins as well as great save and GAA numbers to win the Calder.

Rask has also benefited from playing the weaker teams - as all backups do.

Not the case with Howard.

I wasn't arguing about that. I was just saying that for goalies is much easier to be in top10 than for forwards. There are 360 forwards, 120 defensemen and 60 goalies in the NHL (basically). That's why Howard being in the top10 doesn't mean THAT much.

So if wins is the important stat for goalies (Howard is 14th) that means Duchene for example is basically ahead of him, because 360/70 > 60/14. If GAA and SV% are more important, then Rask is better than Howard. Also Myers is pretty darn good at scoring amongst defensemen although his +/- isn't that good. I'm just saying that I wouldn't declare Howard the winner yet.

Unless you are able to show 50-60 goalies outside of the NHL that are better than Howard right now it does mean that much.

A goalie has more to do with wins than a forward does -- especially a forward getting only 17 to 18 minutes a night like Tavares and Duchene. Yes, "wins" is a team stat, but there is no denying it carries a lot of weight with the voters when it comes to the goalie position. I list it because it is very relevant to the award at hand... whether we agree or not.

As I pointed out earlier, Rask is playing a much lighter (and easier) schedule than Howard is.

Edited by egroen

Unless you are able to show 50-60 goalies outside of the NHL that are better than Howard right now it does mean that much.

A goalie has more to do with wins than a forward does -- especially a forward getting only 17 to 18 minutes a night like Tavares and Duchene. Yes, "wins" is a team stat, but there is no denying it carries a lot of weight with the voters when it comes to the goalie position. I list it because it is very relevant to the award at hand... whether we agree or not.

As I pointed out earlier, Rask is playing a much lighter (and easier) schedule than Howard is.

Still didn't undestand my point. You were saying at first basically that Howard is the only Calder contender to be in top10. Now, that's not really a good argument as he's a goalie. I dunno where are you getting this "outside of NHL" stuff. There are less goalies IN the NHL than forwards. 60 goalies, 360 forwards. That is why being in top10 amongst goalies is easier than being in top10 amongst forwards.

Also, I never said comparing Howard's win stat with Duchene's win stat. You yourself brought up Duchene's POINTS stat and that he's #70 in scoring amongst forwards while you also brought up that Howard is #14 in wins amongst goalies. Now the thing is that 360/70 > 60/14. That's why that argument isn't really that good.

Still didn't undestand my point. You were saying at first basically that Howard is the only Calder contender to be in top10. Now, that's not really a good argument as he's a goalie. I dunno where are you getting this "outside of NHL" stuff. There are less goalies IN the NHL than forwards. 60 goalies, 360 forwards. That is why being in top10 amongst goalies is easier than being in top10 amongst forwards.

Also, I never said comparing Howard's win stat with Duchene's win stat. You yourself brought up Duchene's POINTS stat and that he's #70 in scoring amongst forwards while you also brought up that Howard is #14 in wins amongst goalies. Now the thing is that 360/70 > 60/14. That's why that argument isn't really that good.

Getting into the NHL as a goalie is 6 times harder than it is for a forward -- that is the point.

There are 70-100 forwards in the NHL better than Tavares and Duchene in the NHL alone right now -- probably another dozen on top of that in other leagues around the world.

Howard is bar none a Top 10 goalie in the world right now. What goalies in the world are better than the 60 NHL goalies... let alone better than the Top 10?

It is not "easier" to be one of the best goalies in the world vs. one of the best forwards in the world.

Edited by egroen

Getting into the NHL as a goalie is 6 times harder than it is for a forward -- that is the point.

There are 70-100 forwards in the NHL better than Tavares and Duchene in the NHL alone right now -- probably another dozen on top of that in other leagues around the world.

Howard is bar none a Top 10 goalie in the world right now. What goalies in the world are better than the 60 NHL goalies... let alone better than the Top 10?

It is not "easier" to be one of the best goalies in the world vs. one of the best forwards in the world.

i think its easier to be top 10 goalies than defensemen or forwards tho. thats his point. its pretty obvious i thought