• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

I thought this might be an interesting topic to gamers, but it might be a bit too random and narrow. Maybe no one else has experienced this.

For the past few NHL games I've had a few players that are rated highly in the game but suck terribly when I actually play with them.

For instance, Zetterberg is supposedly a really good player in NHL 08, 09, 10, yet I've almost always traded him because when I actually use him he's entirely useless. Lidstrom is another one that just always disappoints me. Hossa is another one.

On the flip side, I usually end up with really lowly rated players becoming pretty effective top liners.

Anyone else have players that are rated highly, but can't seem to do anything with them on a consistent basis?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Zetterberg has been good for me in each of those games. I insist on using him as a centre.

#3 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

I've always thought Hossa was great in NHL games. Zetterberg usually sucks, ironically because he gets knocked off the puck easily and can never score on the backhand.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#4 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

I only play as the Red Wings so I don't know much outside of them but I know Datsyuk is pretty good but other then that there average.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#5 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:55 AM

NHL out of the box does have a few issues with keeping some players from truly being utilized properly. With the right set of sliders the game becomes alot more realistic. Lids/Hank and the like become the players they really are.

Otherwise, speed kills. Get a guy with top end speed, agility and acceleration and watch him dominate the game.

Trade for Gaborik, Bouwmeester and if you can handle a right handed shooter, Iginla. They're all lightning quick.

Bouwmeester, for some insane reason, is the fastest player in the game. Why, I'll never know...but still.

#6 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

Jimmy Howard is now rated an 85 in NHL 10.
I believe he was a 73 or something along those lines when the game was first released.
Nice!

#7 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (SaCkaveli20 @ February 15, 2010 - 01:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jimmy Howard is now rated an 85 in NHL 10.
I believe he was a 73 or something along those lines when the game was first released.
Nice!

Yeah I noticed that! Sure is great to have a reliable goalie between the pipes during those tight close games!

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

It would seem that those who make the ratings absolutely love the Pens and don't feel well about the Wings. Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar are all WAY over-statted, as are several others on the Penguins. In contrast, NHL 10 is the first game in which Datsyuk and Zetterberg actually have superstar stats; aside from they and Lidstrom, the stats are terrible for the roster. Cleary is crap; Franzen is average at best; Stuart is crap; Kronwall is crap; Lebda somehow has low speed and acceleration; Ericsson is crap; Rafalski is subpar; Filppula is below-average; Helm has speed and acceleration nowhere near his real life values; and on it goes.

#9 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

Last I read a few years ago, Team Tiburon and EA ultimately staffed out a third party group who based their stats off of sometihng like USA Today's player rankings. Something like that, it's been a few years, I barely remember. It was for Madden as well but I wouldn't be shocked to hear EA doing it for NHL as well. Some of the rankings are just completely out of left field and look based on stats unless they're players the average schmoe knows about. Like the Pens.

Not to sound like a homer but if the rankings were appropriate, we'd be good enough to break the game. We'd be like the Lakers in the first NBA Street game.

Sometimes I just personally edit the stats of the Wings players to be more realistic. Like Pav needs anything to do with puck handling jacked right up, or Helm needing 99 speed/accel/agility. Etc.

#10 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Crymson @ February 15, 2010 - 08:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would seem that those who make the ratings absolutely love the Pens and don't feel well about the Wings. Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar are all WAY over-statted, as are several others on the Penguins. In contrast, NHL 10 is the first game in which Datsyuk and Zetterberg actually have superstar stats; aside from they and Lidstrom, the stats are terrible for the roster. Cleary is crap; Franzen is average at best; Stuart is crap; Kronwall is crap; Lebda somehow has low speed and acceleration; Ericsson is crap; Rafalski is subpar; Filppula is below-average; Helm has speed and acceleration nowhere near his real life values; and on it goes.

Yeah, I must say, out of all the rankings Franzen's surprised me the most. Franzen is arguably our best player, and almost certainly our best scorer. And he's only an 83 overall ranking??? But yet somehow Kirk Maltby is only 5 behind at 78?? Yeah right. I mean yeah maybe Maltby is only a 78 rank, but no way him and Franzen are only separated by 5. I made the mistake of starting a franchise before tweaking the attributes. I'm half way through my 1st season but I'm almost tempted to scrap it and start a new one with altered attributes. I'm not looking to get a huge edge or anything. I'm just going to alter them to their realistic values.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 15 February 2010 - 10:40 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (TheDetroitRedWings @ February 15, 2010 - 08:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I must say, out of all the rankings Franzen's surprised me the most. Franzen is arguably our best player, and almost certainly our best scorer. And he's only an 83 overall ranking??? But yet somehow Kirk Maltby is only 5 behind at 78?? Yeah right. I mean yeah maybe Maltby is only a 78 rank, but no way him and Franzen are only separated by 5. I made the mistake of starting a franchise before tweaking the attributes. I'm half way through my 1st season but I'm almost tempted to scrap it and start a new one with altered attributes. I'm not looking to get a huge edge or anything. I'm just going to alter them to their realistic values.

I spent a good six hours altering the stats on all of the teams to match reality; I also nerfed the stats on a bunch of the free agents, especially those who have retired.

#12 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (TheDetroitRedWings @ February 15, 2010 - 10:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm playing one with my gf and we're about 60 games in but everytime I play it I wish I would've went back and realistically adjusted the attributes of at least the Wings and maybe a few other players. I just happened to do it after and now we're too far in to go back.

I hate seeing Helm get outskated and Lidstrom make mistakes. I hate seeing Pav get knocked off the puck so easily and Franzen have such a limp noodle shot.

#13 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Whenever I have Zetterberg as a left wing in NHL 08 he rarely get points, so I either make him a RW or second line center. Franzen and Cleary suck in that game. Kronwall randomly becomes a god in it after one season, especially if you're simming.

Posted Image

#14 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Yeah in 08 LWs barely touched the puck. I dont' remember why but I remember whoever I had at LW didn't do nearly as well as whoever I had at C and RW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users