• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2010 NHL Trade Deadline Thread - March 3rd, 3:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

And a couple more from TFP...

Andrew Alberts dealt to Vancouver, Corvo traded to the Caps.

Wow, the Caps are really going for broke this year. I think they hated seeing Crosby lift the cup as much as we did.

Again, it's not just a GM that makes a Cup winner. I made this point in another thread that Holland has been very lucky to A) inherit the team he did and B) have Hakan Andersson as his scout and C) have Mike Ilitch as his owner in the pre-cap world.

So, by your "rationale" ... a GM has nothing to do with scouting, or the team playing on the ice that wins the CUP.

Ok.

WTF does the GM do? Interviews? Choose dressing room music?

Edited by stillwater

looks like the coyotes are gearing up to keep a playoff spot to generate fan interest, by trading away draft choices, and futurec considerations. They should have more than enough youth to support it though with all those crappy years they have had.

Is it really up for debate? I mean just look at the man games lost.

It's not like that number can be changed based on perspective...

I just am saying that I think there are some people who believe that the damage done by the injuries would have been greatly reduced if we had a better offseason. I know the scoring has been an issue, but not as much as the turnovers IMO. Personally losing Franzen was a killer, but nothing that should dropped us as far as it has. The real problem with this team has been the stars not pulling their weight. I still think this has to do with them dragging the players that I believe are causing defensive shortcomings that Datsyuk and Zetterberg have to compensate for.

I think that adding Miller has strengthed our team defense a ton, but how much better could we have been if we had a little bit of money when this fell apart.

It really is six of one. We have been screwed from the begining of this season. I just think if we didn't sign one guy, and didn't start in Sweden, the season might have been greatly different. If we make the playoffs, I will back off my issues. If we don't then we have to look at this as a bad offseason. Though I still think that Holland was extremely wise to take Franzen instead of Hossa.

So, by your "rationale" ... a GM has nothing to do with scouting, or the team playing on the ice that wins the CUP.

Ok.

WTF does the GM do? Interviews? Choose dressing room music?

Didn't say a GM has nothing to do either. But riddle me this, Batman....how is it that most of our gems come from Europe and are scouted almost exclusively by Andersson? Yeah, GMs have something to do with scouting, but with them, it's day-to-day operations including signings/trades. The roster that they have based on drafting is less about the GM than it is about scouting.

So, with Holland, you have a core of guys-- Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Franzen, Kronwall, Filppula, Lidstrom et all-- that are picked by Hakan Andersson. Holland is the guy who has brought in Williams, Eaves, Bertuzzi, Lebda, etc. Other players-- Draper, Maltby-- have been here longer than he's been the GM.

Lidstrom was drafted in 1989 ... before Hakan Andersson began scouting for the Wings.

Holland is also the "guy" that got Rafalski, Cleary, Lilja, Drake and Chris Osgood ... all contributors to a Stanley Cup in 2008.

Sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't make.

Look, just tell us who (or what), should have been traded and for whom (what).

My trade of the day has to be the final one of the day. The Ducks just made a great tweak to their team by bringing in another versitile defenseman. Really in terms of offensive skating defensemen, they have two of the top ten, if not top five.