• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2010 NHL Trade Deadline Thread - March 3rd, 3:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

Yes. I am not taking away from Holland on that one.

However, when was the last time he took a 2nd round pick and traded it for a goalie who turned into a superstar? I give Sutter credit for things like that.

Well considering Holland hasn't needed to make those moves to win cups I don't see how you can hold it against him.

Well considering Holland hasn't needed to make those moves to win cups I don't see how you can hold it against him.

Point taken, but there isnt something measureable that we can rank GMs with. Holland is not solely responsible for Cups. Sutter has been in a different position because he doesn't have the scouting dept. that Detroit does.

Sutter has had to do more to make it work. Holland has tried to maintain. It's starting now, guys, to show that he's not as amazing as people made him out to be.

Point taken, but there isnt something measureable that we can rank GMs with. Holland is not solely responsible for Cups. Sutter has been in a different position because he doesn't have the scouting dept. that Detroit does.

Sutter has had to do more to make it work. Holland has tried to maintain. It's starting now, guys, to show that he's not as amazing as people made him out to be.

Let's wait to make that claim until after the season.

This has been as season that was negatively impacted more by injuries then bad signings...

I think Holland is an excellent GM, but he also has one of the best scouting departments in the league. All of the credit for those 7th round gems should be given to Hakkan Andersson (sp?). He's a masterful scout and the players over in Scandanavia fit well with the system the Wings play.

However, when was the last time he took a 2nd round pick and traded it for a goalie who turned into a superstar? I give Sutter credit for things like that.

When was the last time Sutter took someone with the 210th pick in the entry draft and that player became one of the best players in the league?

Stop cherry-picking.

Let's wait to make that claim until after the season.

This has been as season that was negatively impacted more by injuries then bad signings...

I agree with the first statement, but I think the second is up for debate.

I know better then to actually debate it, because you get alot of opinion based on emotion.

I would say that overall, I like the way the team has shaped up. The Miller aquistion is better then most of today's trades. I will say that the team made one horrible mistake in the offseason. If that one signing went the way I wanted, we still wouldn't be making a deal, but we would have had far more points in the boxscore.

When was the last time Sutter took someone with the 210th pick in the entry draft and that player became one of the best players in the league?

Stop cherry-picking.

I'm not. Trying to find rationale like yours is cherry-picking.

Regarding drafting, that's scouting, not "gm-ing."

I agree with the first statement, but I think the second is up for debate.

I know better then to actually debate it, because you get alot of opinion based on emotion.

I would say that overall, I like the way the team has shaped up. The Miller aquistion is better then most of today's trades. I will say that the team made one horrible mistake in the offseason. If that one signing went the way I wanted, we still wouldn't be making a deal, but we would have had far more points in the boxscore.

Is it really up for debate? I mean just look at the man games lost.

It's not like that number can be changed based on perspective...

Guest Crymson
Fred Modin from C-bus to LA. Maybe not done in time.

Often deadline deals are done before the deadline but not announced until afterward.

Worst trade deadline ever. I wasn't expecting anything from the Wings, but there was nothing at all today outside of Wolski really.

Don't really think that was unexpected when you had the Kovalchuk and Phaneuf deal just weeks before the deadline.. if those deals had been today it would have been more exciting.

When was the last time a Sutter "gm-ed" team won the Stanley Cup?

Again, it's not just a GM that makes a Cup winner. I made this point in another thread that Holland has been very lucky to A) inherit the team he did and B) have Hakan Andersson as his scout and C) have Mike Ilitch as his owner in the pre-cap world.