• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crabcakes'n'redwings

Brad May clears waivers

Rate this topic

I liked him as a person, but he just isn't a great option right now for this team.

We need a real enforcer that can actually skate, shoot, punch and check. Brad May did what he could, but his time has passed.

The only NHLer that really fits that criteria is Milan Lucic.

Lucic is not an enforcer.

He's a Grade A spotpicker.

Who cares?

I would prefer to remove the whole staged fighting out of the game anyway. Ericsson's fight was a perfect example of what it should be (I'm not talking about the fight itself but how it came to fruition).

Yes, you have to make dollar-for-dollar moves.....or.....make multiple moves to make your 9th-place, cap-max team a little bit better. Going into next season, what is he gonna do---- say "we can't do anything, we're at the cap" or make moves to improve the situation? I am going to lean toward the latter. Holland has grown complacent lately-- if we aren't bringing back a reclamation project (Bertuzzi, Williams-- and I am pleased with Bertuzzi's play) it's just sit back and do the bare minimum.

At some point, you have to look at it and say, "well, I like these players....but it isn't working out. I might actually have to make a significant player trade." When was the last time the Red Wings did that? Stuart was picked up for draft picks...in 2008. When was the last time a decent contributor was dealt for a decent contributor? Would that be Jason Williams for Kyle Calder (and I know its a strech to call Calder a decent contributor).....but good God. Make a move, Holland.

While I know this is just a thinly veiled 'trade Filppula' post, I'm going to respond as if it wasn't.

Try not to let your disappointment in the way the season has gone thus far cloud your judgement. Reactionary, panic-mode change-just-for-the-sake-of-change never works.

First, you're ignoring the changes that have already been made. Helm, Ericsson, Leino, Howard, Eaves, and Miller are also new this year. Not too bad considering our limited budget. Valuable roleplayers to replace our aging ones, a potential top 4 d-man, and possible goalie of the future. So Leino didn't work out, and Ericsson isn't looking too hot right now. They were still moves made with the intent on keeping the machine running.

Two, without all the injuries, this year would not be so bad. Yeah, that's just speculation...but so is proposing trades. You can't say definitively that any trade we could possibly make would make any difference either.

Three, we will likely have a decent amount of cap space next summer. Making trades now while hamstrung by the cap would not really be the smartest move, long term. Better to wait for the offseason when we have more options, and have had more time with a healthy team (hopefully) to evaluate where we really are, what we really need, and what we can really do. Missing the playoffs, if it happens, is not the end of the world. Think about it: Bad cap year + bad injury year + lot of new young players + some key players less effective than expected (due to age, fatigue, whatever...). Most teams, no matter the sport even, in the same situation wouldn't even be thinking of a possible playoff berth. We still have a damn good chance of making it. Says a lot about the quality of this organization.

Thanks for being one of only a few in recent history willing to routinely invite tough guys to fight you for the good of the team, May. That takes balls and I for one appreciate it. Sadly, this team just isn't good enough to have a guy like you on it at this time of year. I hope it doesn't bite them, and I hope your example inspires the rest of the wings through the rest of the season and hopefull, playoffs. Here's hoping you get to raise that Cup again.

:lol:

Who cares?

I would prefer to remove the whole staged fighting out of the game anyway. Ericsson's fight was a perfect example of what it should be (I'm not talking about the fight itself but how it came to fruition).

I could say the same about your take on staged fighting. Who cares?

Most fans of hockey fights like the staged fights. Every now and then someone ******* about them, unfortunately, but I think most fans don't mind.

Guest micah

Staged fights are an important part of enforcing. Nothing says "Fear me, I'm a willing and capable fighter" more than fighting the toughest guys in the league seemingly without cause. If you notice that a guy fights Brashear for fun, you know he's willing to break your head if you mess with one of his teammates.

If May weren't known as a frequesnt and willing fighter, he wouldn't have been able to prevent the cheap stuff that noted hockey experts Mike Babcock and I noticed he prevented.

I could say the same about your take on staged fighting. Who cares?

Most fans of hockey fights like the staged fights. Every now and then someone ******* about them, unfortunately, but I think most fans don't mind.

I don't "mind" the staged fighting but if I was out there I wouldn't want to be bothered to fight the other guys enforcer simply for a muscle flexing contest. I get it, you punch people. I would be more afraid to see the guy knock someone's head off during play and know that the next shift it could be me if I touch the puck. And I would be much more afraid to play aggressive when I know the guy is not only going to be aggressive back, but if I get too aggressive the guy is just going to drop them and try to knock my lights out.

But that is just me.

Micah: get over the "expert" crap. You and I both know your appeal to authority is garbage when the same authority contradicts himself when an enforcer is not in the picture.

Don't misrepresent my position now. I have no problem with fighting in the NHL and believe it has its place. Such as when May went after some Colombus nobody after he was taking liberties and running the Wings. But I don't think talking to the other team's enforcer before a faceoff or during a game just to fight and show everyone that you can fight has any point to it. And I think May brought other things to the team than him being an "enforcer".

Edited by Doc Holliday

This is really too bad. I think he could have been effective in the playoffs like Drake was. If we make it that is.

If we had stayed healthy, I think he would have been more valuable than Miller. Actually, we probably never would have gotten Miller. The thing is, we have top 6 injuries, and Miller is capable of being plugged into a hole pretty much anywhere in the lineup. He might not score, but he can at least occupy the ice. May couldn't - he fills one specific roll, but he does it pretty well.

Best of luck to you Brad.

I hope Brad stays and goes to mentor the kids in GR. Hopefully we'll get in the playoffs and he gets one last shot at a run with the senior team. As people have said before we need a Brad may type guy on the team, its just we need the 27yr old version.