• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Octopus's Garden

Maltby's season over?

Rate this topic

If Maltby opts to have surgery, the Red Wings will not need to make any moves to clear salary-cap space for the return of defenseman Andreas Lilja. If Maltby decides not to have surgery and Lilja is cleared to play by Wings' doctors, Holland said he would need to clear about $700,000 in salary, which he would do by placing a player on waivers during the Olympic break.

Via MLive

This would not be the worst thing that could happen, no offense to Malts.

I don't think Maltby would want to end his career this way. The way I see it, if he opts for surgery then he'll be back next year. Who knows though...

This part is interesting....

Also, the club is bringing Lilja back to Detroit tonight, cutting his long-term conditioning stint one game short. Holland didn't rule out the possibility of Lilja playing Saturday night against Ottawa, but the only way that could happen is if Maltby decided by tomorrow morning to have surgery.

Lilja possibly playing tomorrow! :beerbuddy:

Edited by FunkedUp

Take one for the team, Malts.

This would be the most unselfish way to go out, and we could use a defenseman to take the lower minutes away from guys like Meech and Lebda.

most unselfish, yes. most honourable!

I don't think Maltby would want to end his career this way. The way I see it, if he opts for surgery then he'll be back next year. Who knows though...

This part is interesting....

Lilja possibly playing tomorrow! :beerbuddy:

so instead of ending his career, he takes over as the new assistant coach....many problems solved with one unselfish (yet still self serving...he's gonna need the surgery sooner or later) act!!

it smells truthy...

If and only if it solves the problem should he get the surgery. No surgery is 100% safe, or 100% effective, so he should only do it if its the best option for his recovery.

Guest micah

Classy move by the Wings. "You aren't good enough to play for us, but tell you what; instead of waiving you, you can get that surgery you need and we'll pay you until the end of the year."

Guest Howard He Do It?!

All of this LTIR talk makes sense now. I feel sorry for Maltby. This is a very tough decision to begin with and it has just been made that much tougher with the possibility of having to move players if he decides to wait on the surgery.

Classy move by the Wings. "You aren't good enough to play for us, but tell you what; instead of waiving you, you can get that surgery you need and we'll pay you until the end of the year."

preeeeeeeeeeetty much. he started the year off really well too. i thought he might have a draper-esque resurgence that#33 had a few years ago.

I love Malts to pieces, but this is probably the best for everyone. Malts gets his surgery and the team doesn't have to trade anyone.

Amazing coincidence that one of the people who would have to be moved needs surgery at the moment that we need his salary gone. The Planets are truly aligned in the favour of the Wings.

I love Malts to pieces, but this is probably the best for everyone. Malts gets his surgery and the team doesn't have to trade anyone.

Amazing coincidence that one of the people who would have to be moved needs surgery at the moment that we need his salary gone. The Planets are truly aligned in the favour of the Wings.

yes its a real "coincidence" <_< <_< <_< <_<

Can't they just give Lebda the surgery instead?

:hehe:

That's about 50k short unfortunately. Seriously though, Lebda will still be in a Wings jersey tomorrow and if the Pain Train plays, Ericsson will probably sit.

Maltby has been ok for what he's supposed to do. I think he's been pretty decent on the PK.

Sweet.

Now Lebda and Meech don't have to be moved for cap space.

Instead, they can be traded for a solid defensive D-man who makes up to 1.1M who could play with whomever is the steadiest between Lilja and Ericcsson.

Isn't that what Janik does?

Can't they just give Lebda the surgery instead?

:hehe:

lebda-tomy. where they actually put back in part of his brain...the part that runs his hockey sense.

nah....his brain will reject the donor...

EDIT: actually, its the team that needs the lebdatomy....the removal of the cancerous lebda on its roster!

Edited by deetroit dario

Sweet.

Now Lebda and Meech don't have to be moved for cap space.

Instead, they can be traded for a solid defensive D-man who makes up to 1.1M who could play with whomever is the steadiest between Lilja and Ericcsson.

1. i like your username.

2. why would anyone trade a solid D-man for 2 crappy ones? itd be nice but it wont happen. most you will get is picks (and very low picks at that).

1. i like your username.

2. why would anyone trade a solid D-man for 2 crappy ones? itd be nice but it wont happen. most you will get is picks (and very low picks at that).

1. why thank you my ghost

2. If no one would take them, then waive lebda, waive meech, THEN give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for said D-Man.