• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Will Ovechkin Win His Third Straight Hart Trophy?

Rate this topic

Right now he leads the league in scoring by 10 points.

I don't see anyone really challenging him for this. Miller may be the closest contender, just because he's carried Buffalo on his back and has put up tremendous numbers.

If I'm not mistaken, Gretzky is the last guy to win 3 straight Hart Trophies, back when he won like 8 or 9 in a row in the 80's.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

He doesnt seem to be as valuable to his team as he has been. At no fault of his own. Even though he's got quite the lead in the scoring race, more than a handful of Washington Capitals have proven they can step up and contribute offensively. The Capitals seem to be able to win games at will even with Ovechkin only collecting a single assist, or not even making the score sheet atall. I realize alot of other things may factor into winning this trophy, but thats my take on it. Another thought I had on this after writing this though, was "If not him, then who??"

Crosby should win it. He is more important to his team, and a much better player.

Plus he isn't afraid of fighting, and doesn't intentional injure people.

Nice try, but your boy has tapered off a little bit.

Ovechkin has had a nice year and is playing for the team with the best record in the East.

Nice try, but your boy has tapered off a little bit.

Ovechkin has had a nice year and is playing for the team with the best record in the East.

Crosby is a winner, he'll pick it up.

He's had to carry his team so far this year trying to make up for the inconsistent Euro Malkin.

Ovechkin is the most exciting player to watch in the world right now hands down...

if he continues to produce the way he does, no reason to believe he won't take 3rd in a row...

I think for the sport as good as Crosby is, Ovechkin is much more important... He is an exciting player

Crosby should win it. He is more important to his team, and a much better player.

Plus he isn't afraid of fighting, and doesn't intentional injure people.

Not this year, but your boy is a punk.

After watching that I'm not quite sure how nothing came of it.

Edited by FunkedUp

Not this year, but your boy is a punk.

After watching that I'm not quite sure how nothing came of it.

Let's see, who has a bigger list of questionable plays? All you can come up for Crosby is he hit someone while he still had his gloves on...

Anyways, this is off topic. I just feel like Crosby can make up the point differential toward the end of the year. I don't see the Capitals staying this hot down the stretch.

Let's see, who has a bigger list of questionable plays? All you can come up for Crosby is he hit someone while he still had his gloves on...

Anyways, this is off topic. I just feel like Crosby can make up the point differential toward the end of the year. I don't see the Capitals staying this hot down the stretch.

No where did I say that Ovie was a saint. This is an instance where Crosby clearly is the 3rd man in, throwing punches with his gloves on, and then giving someone a low-blow. I think that is pretty questionable, at best.

Anyways, Crosby has had a good year, but Ovechkin is having a better one.

Biggest argument for Ovechkin is the tear that the Caps have gone on after he became captain. Leading the league in points is just icing on the cake.

edit: He also leads the league by 10 points with 4-8 less games played than the rest of the top 10.

Edited by vOrophin

It looks like a yes, but unfortunately that might put a lock on my Crosby over Ovechkin debate I like to pull... I still think Crosby's better, but I won't have much to argue about if he wins another MVP.

This thread is going to turn into an Ovechkin vs. Crosby thread in no time flat, all because one poster can't seem to help themselves.

I think Ovechkin will probably take his third straight. At his point per game ratio right now, he'd be on pace for 138 points if he'd have played all 82 games. He's undoubtedly the best goal scorer in the game, he seems to inspire his team on the ice, and he's had a hand in over one-third of all of the goals scored by his team. Also, like another poster said, their winning streak started right about the time Ovechkin was made Captain, which certainly can't hurt his case.

No other forward or defenseman has blown me away this year, but there are a few noteworthy goaltenders. Vokoun and Miller are both having strong seasons with extremely high save percentages and a handful of shutouts each.

ohhh yea and this year might be just the year for team Russia...:) perhaps an Olympic gold medal too:)...

Russia by far has the most loaded team since last Soviet Union olympic team...

Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk on the same team... holy crap lol

This thread is going to turn into an Ovechkin vs. Crosby thread in no time flat, all because one poster can't seem to help themselves.

I think Ovechkin will probably take his third straight. At his point per game ratio right now, he'd be on pace for 138 points if he'd have played all 82 games. He's undoubtedly the best goal scorer in the game, he seems to inspire his team on the ice, and he's had a hand in over one-third of all of the goals scored by his team. Also, like another poster said, their winning streak started right about the time Ovechkin was made Captain, which certainly can't hurt his case.

No other forward or defenseman has blown me away this year, but there are a few noteworthy goaltenders. Vokoun and Miller are both having strong seasons with extremely high save percentages and a handful of shutouts each.

Hey bud, I have no intention of turning this into a Crosby/Ovechkin debate. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure 90% of hockey fans say AO is better, so the argument is very invalid. The only ones around here who pick Crosby > Ovechkin are me and Carman.

Let's just say Crosby/Ovechkin together, re-revolutionized the game. Nowadays we can have this debate, and proudly consider one of them two the best. Before when there was no Lemieux or Gretzky a leading the way as generational players, we had Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr, Iginla, etc. to debate on. Ever since 05/06 we have found ourselves two guys that can lead a generation of hockey, when before we had a bunch of players in the mix for "best in the world" status. So, I'll leave it at that.

Edited by BeeRYCE

Hey bud, I have no intention of turning this into a Crosby/Ovechkin debate. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure 90% of hockey fans say AO is better, so the argument is very invalid. The only ones around here who pick Crosby > Ovechkin are me and Carman.

You misunderstood me; I was referring to another poster. I don't deny that Crosby vs. AO is a good debate, and a fair one at that; it's just that a perfectly legitimate topic, such as this one, shouldn't be ruined by a poster who, whether being sarcastic or not, insists on bringing up Crosby in every thread imaginable and starting a firefight.

Guest zackmorris

First thread I read after coming back and Carman is still blowing Crosby.

Get a room you two.

Anyway, Ovechkin will win it. What he does is obvious and when he was given the C, they went something like 36489787-1. I think the team is good without him but only for those tiny periods of time when he's out. I don't know if they could last without him.

Even when he's not getting points, he's still a huge factor in the outcome of the game more than anyone else outside of maybe Nick Lidstrom. He throws his weight around, he sets up plays, he's a nightmare to play against and even when he doesn't get his name on the scoresheet he's still influencing the game with almost every shift he plays. That's huge. He's someone you gameplan around no matter what. His attitude as well has an obvious effect on the whole team. He's the most electric player in the league when he's on the ice and it's clear the whole team feels it. That's big, and without that, who knows, they may just be another 6th place team of good players with no drive. Hell, look at their goalie, they NEED Ovechkin to offset that ticking time bomb.

If we're talking true carry-jobs, Ryan Miller has to be up there. He has no real defense and has shut the door up until the last week or so (which has been a taxing couple weeks on almost everyone in the league, just look at how horrible many good goalies have played). A goalie getting the Hart is special and it was a ******* sickening joke when Theodore got it, so it should be well earned if he wins it. He's not on Hasek's level but then again who is?

Not saying he should win, but no one is giving Daniel Alfredsson any credit. He's at almost a PPG and is carrying an otherwise pretty blah Sens team. They went on a horrible losing streak without him too, and when he came back they tore it up and won like 9 straight.

Anyone else find it a travesty that Lidstrom never won a Hart? One of the most valuable players not only of the past 20 years but ever in hockey history doesn't win one, yet Pronger does? GTFO...I guess it's just a testament to how consistent and subtle he is. We just expected it. It's still a joke though.

Edited by zackmorris