• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pavel Hossyukstrom

Chelios police video

Rate this topic

When I lived in the states in the early 90s the most shocking thing for me was the drink-drive culture. Part of it is the fact that to get anywhere in America, you have to drive. And even if you don't have to drive, you'll still drive. Whereas in the UK 90% of the population lives within walking distance of a pub.

The other part was the widespread attitude of "I've only had 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 beers, I'm OK to drive" that I saw from young and old, male and female. In Britain, its mainly middle aged men and chavs/boy racers who exhibit that kind of thinking.

Thankfully this thread indicates that maybe attitudes are changing in the US.

Edited by Nev

You don't know anyone who drives after one beer? :ph34r:

Not driving at all the next day? Where do you live... the Vatican?

Anyways, drunk driving is bad - but .08 is too low.

.08 is way too low. Fiddling with the radio and talking on the phone is worse. I called this when it was first reported.

The founder of MADD talked about the limit and how it is becoming more about prohibition and generating revenue than pulling over people who are truly drunk.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

1 beer gets you drunk, but talking on your cell phone, eating, putting your make up on and texting are all ok.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
When I lived in the states in the early 90s the most shocking thing for me was the drink-drive culture. Part of it is the fact that to drive anywhere in America, you have to drive. And even if you don't have to drive, you'll still drive. Whereas in the UK 90% of the population lives within walking distance of a pub.

The other part was the widespread attitude of "I've only had 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 beers, I'm OK to drive" that I saw from young and old, male and female. In Britain, its mainly middle aged men and chavs/boy racers who exhibit that kind of thinking.

Thankfully this thread indicates that maybe attitudes are changing in the US.

Most of the people responding like that are not from the US.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Sidenote: One swedish beer is normally ateast 5.2alc% 0.5Litre (dunno how many oz and them f***ed up measurements) possibly up to 7.5alc% (some even 10-13%) while the strongest american beer in a club/pub/bar is like 4.5alc%

And most Americans will drink something like Miller Light or Bud Light which is like water.

he was probably a bit over but he coulda let him go. pulled him over for going 2mph over the speed limit? sounds like a dick to me. but yeah once you refuse to do the breathalyzer your going to jail

Edited by brett

1 beer gets you drunk, but talking on your cell phone, eating, putting your make up on and texting are all ok.

In case you haven't noticed, they've started cracking down on cell phone use as well, especially texting. Try watching the news once in a while. Once that law falls into place, what are you pro drinking and driving people gonna have to hang on to? Eating Big Macs while driving?

If one drink is enough to impair your judgment even the slightest amount... is it really worth the risk of putting other people in danger? When the s*** hits the fan, that slight impairment could be the difference between living and dying. Killing and not killing. Apparently beer is really important to a lot of people. How sad.

Edited by Broken 16

I get that people have been killed by drunk drivers, but I'm really tired of getting lectured by the holier than thou people who don't drink/barely drink about stuff like this. It seems you can't even have just one or two drinks in a normal and RESPONSIBLE setting without getting obnoxious grief these days about "ZOMG DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!" I didn't really see much details of this deal with Chelios, but I'm so sick and tired of feeling like I'm getting a guilt trip or lecture about drinking. I'm still gonig to have my fun RESPONSIBLY. If that's too hard for some over the top drinking/driving lecturers, that's not my problem. Sorry, just a rant about drinking and going out and driving in general.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
In case you haven't noticed, they've started cracking down on cell phone use as well, especially texting. Try watching the news once in a while. Once that law falls into place, what are you pro drinking and driving people gonna have to hang on to? Eating Big Macs while driving?

If one drink is enough to impair your judgment even the slightest amount... is it really worth the risk of putting other people in danger? When the s*** hits the fan, that slight impairment could be the difference between living and dying. Killing and not killing. Apparently beer is really important to a lot of people. How sad.

In case you haven't heard the proposed law banning texting makes it a secondary offense. Maybe you should try listening to the news instead of just watching it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Better stop people from drinking wine at church too. If one beer makes you drunk what does a sip of wine do? Let's just make all alcohol illegal. Easy fix. It couldn't go that bad. Could it?

In case you haven't heard the proposed law banning texting makes it a secondary offense. Maybe you should try listening to the news instead of just watching it.

You said that texting and cell phone use was ok. Maybe you should think before you type. Even if it is a secondary offense, that clearly indicates that it isn't "ok". The lengths you people will go to justify selfish behavior. Wow.

@Southern

Us holier than thou people are sick of people like you justifying impairing yourself, even a little bit, before you get behind the wheel. I'd say that makes it even. In fact, the very act of knowingly impairing yourself before you get behind the wheel and drive the public streets is extremely selfish. Hypocrit much? Jeez. As long as you're having a good time I guess.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest Howard He Do It?!
You said that texting and cell phone use was ok. Maybe you should think before you type. Even if it is a secondary offense, that clearly indicates that it isn't "ok".

Reading comprehension is not your strong point. I was not saying that texting is ok while driving. I was simply stating that alcohol isn't the only driving impairment. People act like drinking and driving is the only dangerous driving impairment when there are far more that actually exist.

For the record, making something a secondary offense is pretty much a joke. It allows lawmakers to say "Look, we made a law about it so we obviously take it seriously." It's a method of appeasing both sides.

If you are worried about 1 beer impairing your ability to drive, then you have to be worried about every other action that causes driving impairment. It's called not being a hypocrite.

Also, 1 beer affects people in different ways. To think otherwise is idiotic.

Better stop people from drinking wine at church too. If one beer makes you drunk what does a sip of wine do? Let's just make all alcohol illegal. Easy fix. It couldn't go that bad. Could it?

Why would the government make it illegal. There's too much money to be made off of you. Between taxes and enforcement, you people are stuffing too many fat cat pockets.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Why would the government make it illegal. There's too much money to be made off of you. Between taxes and enforcement, you people are stuffing too many fat cat pockets.

Why don't you ask them why they made it illegal the first time then wise guy.

Since you are obviously slow. There it is again. Somehow you weren't implying that those things were viewed as ok. Can you even comprehend your own words? Just curious.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Since you are obviously slow. There it is again. Somehow you weren't implying that those things were viewed as ok. Can you even comprehend your own words? Just curious.

Are you that big of an idiot? It's called being sarcastic. Let me break it down for you since you are obviously the slow one. State illegal activity followed by several other driving impairments that are legal but just as dangerous. Got it?

And just to point it out. You've gone from saying that I viewed those actions as ok to saying that they are viewed as ok in general. Back tracking much?

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Why don't you ask them why they made it illegal the first time then wise guy.

Look... I get it. You like to drink. And apparently you also like to drink and drive since you are so offended by the .08 limit. You can type till you are blue in the face and nothing will convince me that impairing yourself before you get onto the road with fellow men, women and children is ok. I think it's selfish and shows a disregard for other people. That's my opinion. You agreement isn't necessary.

Yeah 1 beer pretty much starts to get you drunk.

Now drunk doesn't have to mean that you can't stand up straight and have double-vision. Long before you even really know it yourself, the alcohol starts to affect your senses and your reaction times.

It's not that it's impossible to drive from point A to point B after having 1-2 beers. But if there's a situation where you have to do a split-second decision those beers may be difference between reacting fast enough or not. 99% of the time you'll probably be ok when you drive after having a beer. But maybe that other 1% you're not okay.

Also if you start to think "oh, I just had 1 beer, I'm fine" there's a high probability that you'll soon think you can drive just fine after 2 beers, then 3, and so on.. where do you draw the line?

I know people who have lost their lives because of drunk driving or drunk drivers and that's why I can't stand when people try to justify it in anyway..

Yes well .08 is low enough. People can have one beer with dinner in the US because we are more free than you. I draw the line after a beer. I am fine to drive after a beer. I am sorry about the friends you lost but I seriously doubt that the person responsible only had one beer. Enjoy your winter :D

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Look... I get it. You like to drink. And apparently you also like to drink and drive since you are so offended by the .08 limit. You can type till you are blue in the face and nothing will convince me that impairing yourself before you get onto the road with fellow men, women and children is ok. I think it's selfish and shows a disregard for other people. That's my opinion. You agreement isn't necessary.

Where did I say that I like to drink? Where did I say that I think it is ok to drink and drive? I got news for you, I never once did. You can go ahead and assume all you want, but it just makes you look like an ass.

Where did I say that I like to drink? Where did I say that I think it is ok to drink and drive? I got news for you, I never once did. You can go ahead and assume all you want, but it just makes you look like an ass.

So why are you so offended by the legal limit? What exactly are you arguing? Or are you waffling now? Are you championing the right for someone to impair themselves even though you don't? That's really dumb. As if your odds of getting from Point A to Point B weren't skewed enough... lets also allow people to impair themselves further. Great cause.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest Howard He Do It?!
So why are you so offended by the legal limit? What exactly are you arguing? Or are you waffling now? Are you championing the right for someone to impair themselves even though you don't? That's really dumb. As if your odds of getting from Point A to Point B weren't skewed enough... lets also allow people to impair themselves further. Great cause.

I'm not offended by the legal limit. I am offended by the gross generalization that 1 beer impairs everyone. 1 beer is going to effect a 300 lbs man differently than a 110 lbs woman.

I champion the right for people to choose. If they choose to impair themselves, so be it but I would hope that they would choose a responsible method of doing so. I'm also sick of people jumping on drinking and driving like it is the only driving impairment. There are others that are just as bad.

You are never going to stop people from drinking and driving no matter how hard you try and that's a fact.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

You are seriously impaired after one beer? seriously? wow. You really need to lighten up btw. Many responsible people can have a beer or two and drive exactly the same. Which is why there is a limit at all.