• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

MLB 2010 Season Thread

Rate this topic

Well, the Tigers signed reliever Joaquin Benoit today. Nice addition to the bullpen, although I hope he wasn't a one-year sensation with the Rays. The Tigers pen looks pretty strong going into next season with Valverde, Benoit, Perry, hopefully a healthy Zumaya and possibly Schlereth.

Still holding out major hope for Crawford. If not, definitely want Victor Martinez over Adam Dunn. I wasn't crazy at all about bringing both Inge and Peralta back to start the off-season, but I like the Benoit move and will be interested to see which "big bat" Dombrowski is able to pull off.

Benoit has always been a solid middle reliever. Problem is that teams like Texas wanted to make him a starter and he clearly isn't a starter, kinda similar to Miner situation.

Give me Crawford and Dunn...and I will be very happy this offseason.

I'm not really too excited about Dunn. Don't get me wrong, I won't be upset if the Tigers end up signing him, but he's definitely the least attractive of the potential "big bat" free agents. Crawford obviously would probably be everyone's first choice. I see him going to the Angels though. After that, I like Martinez, Werth and Dunn in that order. Dunn worries me for a number of reasons. He's basically a permanent DH. He's absolutely pathetic in the outfield, let alone trying to roam Comerica's dimensions. I'd rather have Magglio out in RF over Dunn and Maggs can barely run anymore. Second, Dunn strikes out a ton and we have plenty of guys on this team that already do that. I think Martinez is a much better fit to back-up Avila at catcher and DH the rest of the time. I don't really know what Ilitch's intentions are for spending, but I can't see him going after two huge contracts. So, I would be thrilled with Martinez and then bring Maggs back too for a smaller deal.

I'm not really too excited about Dunn. Don't get me wrong, I won't be upset if the Tigers end up signing him, but he's definitely the least attractive of the potential "big bat" free agents. Crawford obviously would probably be everyone's first choice. I see him going to the Angels though. After that, I like Martinez, Werth and Dunn in that order. Dunn worries me for a number of reasons. He's basically a permanent DH. He's absolutely pathetic in the outfield, let alone trying to roam Comerica's dimensions. I'd rather have Magglio out in RF over Dunn and Maggs can barely run anymore. Second, Dunn strikes out a ton and we have plenty of guys on this team that already do that. I think Martinez is a much better fit to back-up Avila at catcher and DH the rest of the time. I don't really know what Ilitch's intentions are for spending, but I can't see him going after two huge contracts. So, I would be thrilled with Martinez and then bring Maggs back too for a smaller deal.

I agree. A friend of mine was saying he really wants Dunn on the Tigers to protect Cabrera, but what good will that do us when he strikes out near the top of the league every season? Managers would gladly walk Cabrera to go after Dunn. I'd rather us re-sign Maggs for cheap (hopefully) and grab another solid hitter, either Crawford or Martinez. Maggs and Cabby back-to-back was deadly and after Maggs got hurt we seemed to fall off offensively.

love the bat we get with v-mart. Probably gonna play a little catcher or DH mostly.

Does this move help us get Crawford or is that deal over now??

I pretty sure he's still unsigned. It should help us get him here too. If we can just get him here, we'll finally have a capable offense to compliment our pitching.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

love the bat we get with v-mart. Probably gonna play a little catcher or DH mostly.

Does this move help us get Crawford or is that deal over now??

I don't think there's any chance the Tigers get Crawford now. In fact, I get the sense they never really had a realistic shot even before signing Martinez. Crawford is going to get a ton of money and the Tigers would ultimately get outbid by the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Dombrowski has always been aggressive early in free agency and I'm glad he didn't wait around to go hard after Crawford and then come away with nothing. I would love Crawford here, but I always thought Martinez and/or Dunn was much more likely to happen.

I'm thinking maybe Maggs comes back now, although he almost has to play the outfield with Martinez being the primary DH. Maggs-Cabby-Martinez would be a lethal middle of the order. I would like some more speed on the team to complement Jackson, but that has never been the Tigers approach. Maybe another starter still because of the questions marks after JV and Scherzer?

Either way, the Twins better be ready for some major competition in the Central.

Edited by GoWings1905

I don't think there's any chance the Tigers get Crawford now. In fact, I get the sense they never really had a realistic shot even before signing Martinez. Crawford is going to get a ton of money and the Tigers would ultimately get outbid by the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Dombrowski has always been aggressive early in free agency and I'm glad he didn't wait around to go hard after Crawford and then come away with nothing. I would love Crawford here, but I always thought Martinez and/or Dunn was much more likely to happen.

I'm thinking maybe Maggs comes back now, although he almost has to play the outfield with Martinez being the primary DH. Maggs-Cabby-Martinez would be a lethal middle of the order. I would like some more speed on the team to complement Jackson, but that has never been the Tigers approach. Maybe another starter still because of the questions marks after JV and Scherzer?

Either way, the Twins better be ready for some major competition in the Central.

Thats what I am afraid of. I get the feeling that the Tigers brass targeted Crawford or Werth and then settled for V-Mart because they had a better shot at getting that deal done than the other ones. Maybe its me being wishful thinking that hopes that the deal can still be arranged.

I agree with you on bringing back Ordonez. I have a feeling that ordonez won't get much on the market so his salary shouldnt be that high.

I don't see another starter coming here (even tho I would love to get Cliff Lee). I think Porcello, Galarraga, Bonderman might fill out the rotation.

Well the big thing going around is that Crawford really, really hates the Yankees and Red Sox, having played against them for awhile. I guess he's not your typical Johnny Damon or Roger Clemens, guys who don't care about division rivals, just the contracts. That's why the media brass is sort of hyping this up as a good landing location for him. Although, I believe the Angels are probably the more likely team he'll go to if any of this is true at all, we do look a little enticing with our young batters and good power pitchers and a GM willing to spend.

So it's not out of the question IMO, and I do believe we're in his range of selection after signing Martinez.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I really don't see the Tigers pursuing Crawford. MLB Network has them pegged to go after Dunn or Werth, but I'd rather re-sign Magglio than either of them. Right now we're looking at:

1. CF Jackson

2. 2B Rhymes

3. RF Boesch

4. 1B Cabrera

5. C Martinez

6. DH Guillen

7. LF Raburn

8. SS Peralta

9. 3B Inge

If Maggs comes back then you gotta think its:

1. CF Jackson

2. 2B Rhymes

3. RF Ordonez

4. 1B Cabrera

5. C Martinez

6. LF Boesch

7. DH Guillen

8. SS Peralta

9. 3B Inge

With Guillen playing 2B on days that Martinez DHs and Avila catching. At that point, though, it might be up in the air as far as who hits out of that second slot. Werth is just as, or more suspect than, Magglio in right. Especially in Comerica. He has a better arm, but will demand more money and is streaky. Dunn can't do anything but DH and - given Guillen's injury problems and the fact that Avila will now be the defensive catcher - we don't need a pure DH.

Guillen will be hurt April 1st. I definitely like the second lineup more with Maggs batting third. The Tigers might be the worst defensive team in the league though with Maggs in right, Martinez catching and Peralta at short. I have read some speculation that the Tigers must have some intention of catching Martinez more than they lead on because the sum of money is pretty substansial for just a permanent DH. I don't mind Rhymes/Sizemore/Worth battling it out for playing time at second. Still think we need another solid starter to really make this off-season complete.

Edited by GoWings1905

Dunn is definitely not happening. He would have been DH since he plays defense about as well as Michigan football. Crawford or Werth would be the two OF options we have for big bats.

I still can't believe the Tigers got VMart and are stilling trying to get Dunn and Crawford. Now if we only had pitching...

If Scherzer can maintain his numbers from last year then he and Verlander will make a solid enough 1-2 punch. Porcello needs to step it up. This year is make or break for him. Coke will move from the 'pen to the 4th slot, and Armando will almost assuredly take the fifth spot - but he's gotta be more consistent.

Like Ryan said above me, they won't get Dunn and there's no way they land Crawford. If only for the fact that they don't need a LF, but largely due to the fact that they won't outbid the Yankees / Red Sox / Angels.

And people wonder why everyone hates the Yankees. Derek Jeter is out of his frickin mind. He doesn't deserve anywhere near $17 million with the numbers he put up last season, nor would ANY other team come remotely close to matching that figure. The Yankees don't have to care, bad contracts don't mean s*** to them.

Maybe Marco Scutaro should get $17 million too. His stats were comparable to Jeter's last season.

And people wonder why everyone hates the Yankees. Derek Jeter is out of his frickin mind. He doesn't deserve anywhere near $17 million with the numbers he put up last season, nor would ANY other team come remotely close to matching that figure. The Yankees don't have to care, bad contracts don't mean s*** to them.

Maybe Marco Scutaro should get $17 million too. His stats were comparable to Jeter's last season.

It's painful. It's what I hate about baseball. Not sure why there isn't a cap in the MLB. Talk about disproportionate. Yanks payroll, who won Wild Card, was $206,333,389 last season. Next big spender was Boston at $162,747,333.

Ironically here were the successful teams;

National League

Giants who won West & the World Series - $97,828,833

Phillies who won East - $141,927,381

Reds who won Central - $72,386,544

American League

Rays who won AL East - $71,923,471.

Twins who won Central - $97,559,167

Rangers who won west, and lost World Series - $55,250,545

(What happened to my other post in here? :blink: )

I'm getting greedy, but man Jayson Werth as a Tiger would be amazing. The speculation the Tigers are in the running really makes me hope it happens. Martinez-Cabrera-Werth in the middle of the order. I'm drooling.

You have no idea how badly I wanted this to happen. Man...

The Nats are insane.

The Nats are insane.

Just read a "rumour" that they are interested in Cliff Lee. haha. Don't see it happening although could be a very good 1, 2 punch with Stephen Strasburg. Unfortunately I think he's going to the Yanks. Gonna guess it's the offer of HUGE money & friendship with CC Sabathia and he will ignore the whole spitting on his family incident during the playoffs. I'd rather see him stay with the Rangers.

It's just been announced that the White Sox re-signed Konerko to a 3-year / $37.5 million deal.

Not that it needs to be said, but this further cements our need for a bat. No one expected Konerko to go anywhere, but this makes it official. I really want to see Maggs return to the outfield, which I've been saying from the get-go. Even before Werth was off the market. I'd take Magglio in right at Comerica over Werth any day.

Well there goes Crawford.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5901372

Didn't think he'd sign with the Red Sox; I thought he'd be an Angel most likely. Big payday for him, though. Hopefully we resign Maggs now.

Red Sox lineup looks pretty damn stacked. If there pitching actually holds up they should be back on top in the AL East. Good bye Tampa.