• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kwame_Kilpatrick

wings affect on everyday life

Rate this topic

okay idk if its just me but if the red wings do bad i get really sad. it is also especially hard with women because most are not sports fans so they have no sympathy for my sadness, we won today though so i am happy but it has affected some relationships. once a guy questioned my love for the team and i attacked him agressively so it can make me wild personally. but do you guys get affected when we win or lose

absolutely as we speak my girlfriend is telling me to get off of this site and watch a movie with her. I tend to get into little funks in life when the wings aren't playing well. I have never gotten into a fight over it but i have felt like it. If you have ever seen mystery alaska where the girl and guy are having sex when the game is on.... uhh yea its sweet and thats all I'll say.

I don't allow sports to affect my life to the point that I become physically aggressive/despondent when we lose. I'm sorry, I just can't do that. When the Wings lose it sucks, and I get pissy for maybe.....an hour. Two hours if it's a playoff loss, three hours if it's a series-ending loss. But I don't attack people or become belligerent with them. I get over it, because it's just sports and life goes on. When we lost the Cup finals last year it was REAL s***ty but my dad had a cancerous tumor on his kidney so I had other, much more important things to focus on rather than a hockey game that didn't end the way I wanted it to.

Doesn't mean I don't love the Red Wings or that I'm not a "real" fan, just that I keep sports in its proper perspective.

I don't allow sports to affect my life to the point that I become physically aggressive/despondent when we lose. I'm sorry, I just can't do that. When the Wings lose it sucks, and I get pissy for maybe.....an hour. Two hours if it's a playoff loss, three hours if it's a series-ending loss. But I don't attack people or become belligerent with them. I get over it, because it's just sports and life goes on. When we lost the Cup finals last year it was REAL s***ty but my dad had a cancerous tumor on his kidney so I had other, much more important things to focus on rather than a hockey game that didn't end the way I wanted it to.

Doesn't mean I don't love the Red Wings or that I'm not a "real" fan, just that I keep sports in its proper perspective.

You are right, after all is said and done it is just a game. That's what this place is for. Life is more important.

The great thing about sports is that (for me at least) it is a form of both escape and release. No matter what is going on in my personal or professional life, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on game day I can put aside the cares of the world so to speak and allow myself to live or die figuratively with the fortunes of my team. I do my best not to let it spill over into my daily life, but my wife can usually tell without having to ask how the Wings did on a particular night. I realize that there are weightier matters in life, but as I said, sports are my escape, and win or lose, the Red Wings are my team and I will always have high expectations and will be disappointed when those expectations are not realized.

You are right, after all is said and done it is just a game. That's what this place is for. Life is more important.

Sports is life for some people, and it come before a lot of things in my life, I guess I have set it up that way. I have never taken a loss out on someone ever, but im a happy person in life.

I understand that sports = life to some people and that's fine. Life is whatever you want it to be. I just can't do that myself. For example, a few years ago the Red Wings were in Atlanta playing the Thrashers and my friend had tickets and wanted to know if I'd come with. They were quite close to the Wings bench and would have been the closest I've ever sat for a game. However I had promised my sister we'd go out and have dinner and "girl talk" since we hadn't done that in a while. So I opted to spend time with my sister. Sure other people would have said "screw dinner" but I've only got one sister.

Like I said, that's just me.

I get down when we lose, especially if it's a game that we lose at the last minute. My hubby usually knows when I'm down to keep a low profile for a bit...but I get over it.

Guest mindfly

Yeah like everyone already know on this board, I get like this for about 24hrs after a wings loss

FatGothKid.jpg

Yeah, I usually get a little sad if we lose (not just the Wings, but my college team as well) and I am just in a chipper mood if we win, but that's about it. I can get snippy with people about sports. A lot of people get shocked, because I am a woman, but a lot of women I know have more dedication to sports than a lot of men. Sports bring people together, which is nice. So we can be sad or happy or furious together :)

In the playoffs, I live and die with the Wings.

However, this is the first regular season where I've gotten so angry game after game. Usually, I sleep through the regular season games.

These last few weeks have been extremely stressful, as it's looking less and less like we'll make the playoffs.

Good question. Like Beth, it depends on how major the event is. If it's just a game and I don't "hate" the other team, I'm over it quickly. If it's a game we should have won (hah!), or against a team I hate, then it lasts longer..mebee a few hours. The worst ones for me were last year's playoffs. It took me days, especially when Crosby and the stupid-ass Penguins were all over TV. Also waking up every morning and remembering is a pisser. Yeah, I know - I'm way too involved. :lookaround: But my husband is truly a very patient and understanding man. After all, he's a Michigan grad/ fan. :)

The longest-lasting are when team members retire or leave, like Stevie, Mac, Larionov, Fedorov, and Shanny. When Vladi got hurt it took me more than a year to "move on". But one of the neat things that happened during that time was that I was on a board where fans from all kinds of different teams - even teams we were supposedly arch rivals with - came visiting with their condolences and best wishes. That was a beautiful thing to behold. When things are at their worst, that's when the real hockey family shows up. And I can vouch for the fact that they are out there.

I'm still slightly suffering from that one loss in June last year. I can't hear certain songs on the radio without them reminding me of the playoffs. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but it's not as bad as it used to be. :lol: I still get a little mad during the regular season, but not as much as the playoffs. I rage so hard, especially with the crap the refs pull.

Guest mindfly
Watching the Red Wings is a hobby of mine that I enjoy. It is juist that though and has it's place. There is more to life than the Detroit Red Wings.

Wow... shocker! :rolleyes:

okay idk if its just me but if the red wings do bad i get really sad. it is also especially hard with women because most are not sports fans so they have no sympathy for my sadness, we won today though so i am happy but it has affected some relationships. once a guy questioned my love for the team and i attacked him agressively so it can make me wild personally. but do you guys get affected when we win or lose

Dude, if the Red Wings/sports has affected some of your relationships, consider finding a girl that shares your passion for the game. Plenty of them out there who are just as beautiful as the ones who aren't sports fans. It also reduces the number of disagreements in the future when you leave to go to yet ANOTHER game...because she's right there cheering next to you. Matter of fact, she's the one who stood in line to buy the tickets.

Granted, I've only been married for nearly 20 years, but having a "hobby" that binds you together rather than pulling you apart is pretty special. Happy Valentines Day, Sweetheart!

Edited by GROwl

Dude, if the Red Wings/sports has affected some of your relationships, consider finding a girl that shares your passion for the game. Plenty of them out there who are just as beautiful as the ones who aren't sports fans. It also reduces the number of disagreements in the future when you leave to go to yet ANOTHER game...because she's right there cheering next to you. Matter of fact, she's standing in line to buy the tickets.

Granted, I've only been married for nearly 20 years, but having a "hobby" that binds you together rather than pulling you apart is pretty special. Happy Valentines Day, Sweetheart!

That's pretty much how it works in our house, too. Sure makes it easier, huh! As for Kwame's problem, maybe gently (ahem) remind your lady that everyone has things happen in their lives that upset them and probably "shouldn't". Maybe one of her favorite TV/movie stars broke up with Somebody; or somebody got knocked off a show she liked. We really ALL do get upset about stuff that seems unimportant to others. But respect for those feelings is the bottom line and always helpful. And practical!

::stepping off soapbox::