• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kwame_Kilpatrick

wings affect on everyday life

Rate this topic

Not so much during the regular season. During the playoffs, I get really annoyed when they lose. I'm still a little pissed about that loss Anaheim where Hossa scored, but it was waved off because the ref "lost sight" of the puck. The loss in the Finals to the Pens REALLY bothers me to this day. Its going to stick with me for a long time, even if the Wings beat the Pens this year in the Finals, that loss will still bother the crap out of me. Maybe its because I'm a hardcore fan or maybe its because I have Pens championship crap rammed down my throat every second of every day. I wasn't bothered this much when we lost to the Devils and I think the reason is because the Wings SHOULD have won. We had a much better team and to watch Crosby and Talbot skate around with the Cup in the Joe after the way they acted during that series with the cheap shots and trash talk, it just drives me crazy. :ranting:

Not so much during the regular season. During the playoffs, I get really annoyed when they lose. I'm still a little pissed about that loss Anaheim where Hossa scored, but it was waved off because the ref "lost sight" of the puck. The loss in the Finals to the Pens REALLY bothers me to this day. Its going to stick with me for a long time, even if the Wings beat the Pens this year in the Finals, that loss will still bother the crap out of me. Maybe its because I'm a hardcore fan or maybe its because I have Pens championship crap rammed down my throat every second of every day. I wasn't bothered this much when we lost to the Devils and I think the reason is because the Wings SHOULD have won. We had a much better team and to watch Crosby and Talbot skate around with the Cup in the Joe after the way they acted during that series with the cheap shots and trash talk, it just drives me crazy. :ranting:

I'm with you. I will never forget that. I think it really bothers me because we had the better team and we had them beat when we were up 2-0 and then 3-2. To lose 4 out of 5 to those guys and game 7 at the Joe.... Wow that hurts.

If the Wings are having an adverse impact on personal relationships in your life, that is a problem. I think I have a good balance. My girlfriend is not a sports fan but she understands my love of the Red Wings and essentially supports it as she will watch the odd game and we have been down to the Joe for some games as well.

Like most of you, I am bitter when the Wings lose in the playoffs. I live and die with them in the playoffs. You guys can relate, there are not many feelings like the one that runs through me on a playoff gameday. I am certain that a part of me died on June 12th, 2009 when I watched Crosby skate around the Joe with the Stanley Cup. I will never forget it.

Starting last season, i started watching almost every regular season game I could. I would be in class and i would be looking forward to watching the wings so much. I would go grab an Arnold Palmer from the 7/11 down the street and go up into my dorm room and watch the wings. Soon, even the regular season games meant something to me and i was always bummed out when we would lose. Playoffs are really intense. A couple years back when we lost that triple OT to the pens in game 5 i was so pissed i whipped my wallet at the wall and s*** went flying out. Only time i remember taking out my anger/disappointment in a physical way.

I have only 1 other friend who is into it as I am. When we don't go to the bar or something we sit at home on AIM and go back and forth about what is happening in the game. Other than that, most of my friends don't watch or care about hockey. It kinda sucks when something really awesome/s***ty happens and i want to talk or tell somebody about it. I was texting a ladyfriend of mine recently and i was talking about something and it was like "blahblahblahblah, but the wings won tonight!"

and her response was "blahblahblahlblah. and i don't care about the poop wings." <_<

But fans are weird. My first team will always be MSU hockey and I've been going my entire life and when Abdelkader scored the GWG with 18.9 left back in 2007, i freaked out harder than i have in my entire life and cried a little bit. I never remember a time in my life where for a single moment i was nearly that ecstatic.

Edited by pirateasaurus

For me, Wings hockey means alot! Is it everything? No. I don't typically miss a game regular season/ pre-season/ and Playoffs. I cannot remember the last time I missed a playoff game. My Girlfriend is great, she is trying very hard to get into hockey and she shares my pain if we lose and we are happy together when we win. She understands my passion and how deep it runs.

I can tell you that Regular Season losses get me down for a couple of hours, but playoff losses get me down even more! Last June I was emotionally drained and felt as if I had been dumped. That feeling lasted for the entire summer. I have never felt like that before. I remember when we lost New Jersey in 95, I was no where near as disappointed as I was last year. I think the main difference is in 95 I wasn't expecting to win or maybe I didn't believe. Now I Believe and I think that is why it hurt so bad!

Like others have said, I don't let the games ruin my life. Life is too short for that, but it does affect my mood.

Great Thread Kwame!

It's something that's gotten better as I've gotten older. When I was younger, how they were doing affected me a lot more. Especially if it was a game I would get to watch. My internet was too crappy to stream and I got to see like 5 games a year outside of the playoffs, so everything was a huge deal.

Now, I'm a little more mature and it doesn't affect me much more. And I have Centre Ice. So seeing pretty much every game makes them feel a little less important because watching them becomes like a regular part of life instead of some special thing.

...I definitely never got violent with anyone though. That's a little concerning.

Guest Lidstromboli

i was kind of mad after game 7. for about 5 minutes

Edited by Lidstromboli

Its just a game? If you get despondent over a simple hockey game (and most season for the wings there are over 95 of them) you really should look into the mirror and try to figure out where your priorities got f***ed. If you can't sit back and have fun watching the Wings no matter the outcome you take it way too seriously. I love the Red Wings, I was born and raised in Detroit, MI and Ive been a wings fan for as long as I can remember, but if they lose, life goes on, and the day it doesn't is the day I will stop watching them. Sure I get pissed if they lose, but, 5 minutes later, its cool, there is always tomorrow. So please Kwame, youre a kid, just realize you have a lot of hockey ahead of you and not to sweat it.

Its just a game? If you get despondent over a simple hockey game (and most season for the wings there are over 95 of them) you really should look into the mirror and try to figure out where your priorities got f***ed. If you can't sit back and have fun watching the Wings no matter the outcome you take it way too seriously. I love the Red Wings, I was born and raised in Detroit, MI and Ive been a wings fan for as long as I can remember, but if they lose, life goes on, and the day it doesn't is the day I will stop watching them. Sure I get pissed if they lose, but, 5 minutes later, its cool, there is always tomorrow. So please Kwame, youre a kid, just realize you have a lot of hockey ahead of you and not to sweat it.

Yet another bandwagoner no doubt. <_<

Guest mindfly

Yeah and you're probably 30years old, married, kids, a dog... halfway to the grave... :rolleyes:

Guest mindfly
30 years old is halfway to the grave? What year is this, 1510?

Well in that situation I just described one have pretty much given up on everything tbh.

funny thread

im in a good mood and treat people better when they win

im pissed and give attitude to people when they dont

key is to find a girl whos a hockey fan too. theyll know how to make it better when they lose. if you know what i mean

Guest mindfly
So getting married, having children and a dog equals having given up on everything?

What a lonely, sad person you are.

Yeah for most people that equals EXPIRED.

What one used to care about before all that all changes. I've seen it too many times to ignore it or say it's coincidence.

Yeah and you're probably 30years old, married, kids, a dog... halfway to the grave... :rolleyes:

Did you seriously just criticize someone for having a life outside of vicariously living through a hockey team....?

I love the Wings, and my voice is gone after a lot of games. But there are other things too.

Edited by Zetts

Yeah for most people that equals EXPIRED.

What one used to care about before all that all changes. I've seen it too many times to ignore it or say it's coincidence.

This is truly an epically embarrassing POV. My parents have been married 38 years, have two children, a dog and two cats and neither of them are "expired" or have nothing else to care about besides us. My dad is one of the biggest sports fans I know and my mom is sort of our subdivision's go-to person for bake sales. They have very rich and full lives and guess what? They're both 60! According to you, my sister and I should have buried them by now.

For the sake of all people who may ever come into contact with you in real life.......please grow up.

My relationship is backwards, I'm usually the one who wants to watch all the hockey games. My boyfriend likes hockey but doesn't get "into it" as much as me I guess. :lol:

I don't let it affect my life too much though. Normal games, we lose... yeah it sucks, and I gripe for maybe 10 minutes, if that, and then move on. Playoffs are a little different... I get upset for a little bit but still get over it within a half hour or so. I tend to stay optimistic. If we lose a playoff series, though, I actually get pretty mad/upset... I've cried before. >> But that's just from the temporary shock/disappointment... it doesn't usually last too long. I get over it pretty quick.

Last year's loss was kind of an exception, after we lost I was pretty pissed/sad... and I still was for a couple days after, but it's not like it was all I thought about either. I have a job and other things to worry about. Life goes on, and there's always the next year to start over with a clean slate. *shrugs*

Edited by wingsgirl001

For those who want to make sports their life, see the movie Big Fan to see how pathetic it can be.

i will not watch this video because i know i will be offended somehow

how dare you call a fan of any game pathetic, i am not a fan of all sports, especially most american sports are not fun to me, but some fans love it. my favourite sport is soccer because the political side of the game fascinates me, and hockey because it was the game of my childhood so i will always be devoted to these games. it is two things that are important in my heart, maybe this fan is somehow connected in his heart to the game idk, maybe it is a film about the stereotype american fan, but i am not a american sports fan, i am a human being who is deeply moved by some sports

btw go usa at olympics, silver medal in nordic combined which is one of my favourite events except cross country skiing

there is nothing wrong with being devoted to a sport club, in my opinion if you are criticising these people you are not making an effort to understand them, for me whenever i cannot find love in my life i search for a salvation and for me it is sports. there are many disgruntled people i have met through sports who see themself in a sports club and consider themself a part of the club. that is what being a fan is all about, supporting and travelling with the club. the fan is the most important part of the club, because without support the players are sad

My family can usually tell if the wings lose or win based on my mood. No, hockey isn't everything, but it emotionally drains you sometimes, especially in the playoffs. So yeah, I will be a little pissed if the wings lose and that is okay, as long as it doesn't last too long :)