• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
greene709

Maltby back for one more year?

Rate this topic

Would anybody else like to see Maltby brought back for one more year? He is a very low cap hit and is still an effective 4th liner or even 13th forward for that matter. He knows the system in Detroit as good as anybody and has already gotten used to being a sometimes player. Miller and Eaves, provided they are given contracts, are in line to take the roster spots of Draper and Maltby and can learn so much from the proven duo. I for one would like to see Maltby get one more year to play with Draper and the wings, especially if his season is cut short by his shoulder. It would be a disappointing way for him to go out. Perhaps my bias is blinding me.

Excuse the spelling in the title, I just woke up.....

Edited by greene709

I appreciate Matlbys hustle every night. Him and Draper are always the first ones on the ice at the beginning of the periods. They have served us well for many many years. With the contracts coming to an end I believe Maltby will probably go after this year but would love to see otherwise. Same with Draper next season. Too many people have this out with the old mentality on the LGW boards. Maybe when their jobs are taken by a half cost grad student they will think otherwise. :P

I appreciate Matlbys hustle every night. Him and Draper are always the first ones on the ice at the beginning of the periods. They have served us well for many many years. With the contracts coming to an end I believe Maltby will probably go after this year but would love to see otherwise. Same with Draper next season. Too many people have this out with the old mentality on the LGW boards.

In my opinion, Maltby, Draper, Lidstrom, and Holmstrom can stay around as long as they want.

Lidstrom yes. Holmstrom maybe, but I think he's getting to a point where his body just can't take much more abuse.

Draper and Maltby need to go after their contracts are up. Sorry, I know how important they've been for us. But in Helm and Abdelkader we have perfect replacements.

I'd be concerned that keeping him a year too long would cost us a player like Ritola and that would be a shame. We all know what happened when we kept Chelios a year too long ;)

I agree with you as long as the person that is up and coming can play the role of the person on the way out. There is no reason to let a 4th liner go who will make peanuts to bring in a player who doesn't fill the role. It is better to trade that player to fill a need then try to make them into something that they are not. I'm not necessarily talking about the specific situation you listed, just a generalization.

In my opinion, Maltby, Draper, Lidstrom, and Holmstrom can stay around as long as they want.

They have sure as hell earned that right. Like Loo says, they are priceless because of their contributions.

Then please enjoy the years of mediocrity with them in the lineup.

Really? Malts, Draper, and Holmstrom play 3rd and 4th lines mintues. It's not like Messier who wanted 1st line minutes when he clearly couldn't keep up. Maltby, Draper, and Holmstrom are classy guys know their role.

If you asked last year, I would have been all for him retiring after his contract was up, but he's played with more heart than the almost any other player on the team. He may not have the skills, but the hustle is a quality that we really needed for the regular season this year, and it seemed like Maltby and Draper were two of the few who understand that.

Absolutely. I am not suggesting that hey resurrect the grind line and let them play tons of minutes, I am just saying that giving him a salary of less then a mil and let him be a part time player makes sense to me.

Nobody can use the argument that Helm and Abdlekader need to replace Maltby because when Abdlekader was up with the wings they both got more ice time than Maltby. He is just a good utility player, with no adjustment time and a small cap hit.

If you asked last year, I would have been all for him retiring after his contract was up, but he's played with more heart than the almost any other player on the team. He may not have the skills, but the hustle is a quality that we really needed for the regular season this year, and it seemed like Maltby and Draper were two of the few who understand that.

For the europeans winning the gold medal is a huge thing sometimes means more than the stanley cup Im willing to bet in Holmstrom plays these olympics and the sweedes won it he would retire, the guy is injured every year at some point or the other for good reason though he puts up with a lot infront of the net, what a man!

Anyway what Im getting at here is I think if Holmstrom comes back next year Maltby might not have a spot but if Holmstrom retires there could be a spot for Maltby, it would be kinda cool to see Maltby and Draper retire together since they are so close. They would never get their numbers retired but they would have one hell of a party for them.

Maltby is like the relative that overstays his visit, but no one in the family has the heart to tell him to leave.

Holland and company have known for many years that he was no longer useful, yet they've kept him around waiting for him to decide when to leave. They don't have the guts to tell him otherwise.

I think Holmstrom and Maltby will do one more year each on the cheap. Lids will do at least another year. Maltby's not a bad guy to have around for a low price if he's up for another year and fine with a continually reducing role. He still does a lot of things right, which doesn't really translate to big numbers, but it doesn't translate to big mistakes either.