• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Cam Janssen in hot water again.

Rate this topic

Browsing Bob McKenzie's Twitter, I happened across a tweet where he referenced Cam Janssen's late hit on Matt Bradley as well as James Neal's hit on Peter Prucha. According to McKenzie, "Cam Janssen will face NHL discipline for late hit on Matt Bradley. James Neal NOT expected to be disciplined for hit on Petr Prucha."

Here are the hits:

Cam Janssen on Matt Bradley [1:21]

James Neal on Peter Prucha [0:10]

Everyone's favorite, Puck Daddy discussed the hits as well, but there are also photos.

So let's get some discussion flowing. What else are we gonna do with our time off?

Janssen's actually looks clean, outside of the fact that it's way late. Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks to me like Neal got his elbow up. Not sure how, exactly, Janssen gets the fine but Neal doesn't.

Janssen's hit was late and his elbow was up. He needs to be suspended for a few games.

Neal's hit was clean.

From the replays, it doesn't look as though Janssen's elbow comes up until after the hit. Just a follow through. No denying that it was beyond late, but I don't think he got the elbow up.

I checked the Neal hit again (replay at 0:48), I had thought he pulled his elbow up as he went into it - but it doesn't look like it. It's obvious that he runs Prucha's head into the glass, though. Maybe the argument there is that Prucha's head was down.

Janssen's actually looks clean, outside of the fact that it's way late. Hard to tell from the angle, but it looks to me like Neal got his elbow up. Not sure how, exactly, Janssen gets the fine but Neal doesn't.

WHAT???

Janssen had hit elbow up (whether or not hit hit him in the head with his elbow is irrelevant if you ask me, fact is that it was up), it was one of the latest hits I've seen in awhile and it's hard to tell, but it looks like he may have even jumped into the hit.

Neal's hit actually looks perfectly clean, his elbow was glued to his hip and I don't even think it was all that late. The only problem I see with the hit is that Prucha was in a vulnerable position and I know they are trying to get rid of hits to players in such positions.

WHAT???

Janssen had hit elbow up (whether or not hit hit him in the head with his elbow is irrelevant if you ask me, fact is that it was up), it was one of the latest hits I've seen in awhile and it's hard to tell, but it looks like he may have even jumped into the hit.

Neal's hit actually looks perfectly clean, his elbow was glued to his hip and I don't even think it was all that late. The only problem I see with the hit is that Prucha was in a vulnerable position and I know they are trying to get rid of hits to players in such positions.

When I stated that Neal got his elbow up, I didn't mean up and out. You can still hit someone who's vulnerable with your elbow even if it's pulled in to your body. Janssen's hit still looks like it's got a lot more shoulder in it.

Either way, there is still a question of vulnerability when it pertains to hits. Especially when it comes to leveling the ruling across the NHL. It's been stated multiple times on this board that there is no league-wide ruling on things like this. If you're trying to establish a precedent on hits delivered to a vulnerable player, then where can we draw a solid line?

edited with more substance.

Edited by Travis

*ATTN*******

THESE HITS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IF A ENFORCER WAS DRESSED..

hah yah right ... just goes to show it dont matter who's dressed, cheap s*** is going to happen..

Enforcers are wasted cap space and if you hate on Kenny H for acknowledging that .. you must be a wings fan ..

Janssen's hit was way late, his elbow was up, and it looked like he jumped into it. He should definitely get suspended for that.

The Neil hit is harder to see, but it didn't seem to look as bad as the Janssen hit. It looked decently clean from what I can see.

*ATTN*******

hah yah right ... just goes to show it dont matter who's dressed, cheap s*** is going to happen..

Enforcers are wasted cap space and if you hate on Kenny H for acknowledging that .. you must be a wings fan ..

Exactly. When you're Cam Janssen, there's probably no one on the Caps you're afraid to fight, so that's where this theory breaks down.

*ATTN*******

usb-bomb.jpg

*ATTN*******

Umm could you elborate on who exactly youre reffering to on the caps that is even near considered an enforcer? Caps are softer then detroit this season.

Both hits looked somewhat dirty to me. Neal hit Prucha's head into the glass, yeah Prucha was bent over but Neal coulda hit his shoulder instead of head. Jansen will probably get 2 or 3 games because of his rep and Neal will get nothing.

*ATTN*******

I hope you're joking.

If not, you should change your username.

Also, Kenny H does not believe that enforcers are a waste of cap space, otherwise neither Downey nor May would ever have played 1 game in a Wings uniform.

NHL - No Honor League

this is where it is going... the lack of respect for fellow players in today's game is becoming down right alarming...

The players need to be able to police themselves again WITH RESPECT AND HONOR(not just goon it up) and the league needs to gain some consistency both with calls and with punishments...

Why are there even 2 refs on the ice? One needs to be watching BEHIND the play and the guy that is in the zone, make the calls in the zone - no more 100 foot calls - or go back to one ref if you're not going to use 2 properly...

Neal didn't even get a penalty on his cheap shot and Jansen should have gotten a match penalty - no consistency.

It sickens me that my favorite sport in the world has such a joke of a league as its professional forum for display...

I hope you're joking.

If not, you should change your username.

Also, Kenny H does not believe that enforcers are a waste of cap space, otherwise neither Downey nor May would ever have played 1 game in a Wings uniform.

uhh whos the first to get waived every year ? the "enforcer" ...

Janssen's actually looks clean, outside of the fact that it's way late.

The fact that it is way late is precisely the point. Players are completely unprepared for that as in this case. Obviously the other guy got concussed pretty good. I'd give him at least 3 games and a healthy fine.

WHAT???

Problem with Neil's hit is that he comes from about a 45 degree angle from behind. Not strictly from behind, but if you are Prucha, you have to blessed with fly-like peripheral vision. Having said that, this hit is more about the bad glass in Glendale then anything else.

Who had the least amount of skill on the team this year? Who never killed penalties? The enforcer.

But wait, he still managed to play most of the season until our team couldn't score goals for some reason and they need to do everything they can to get some goals.

Wow he couldn't score, penalty kill and was the least skilled on the team but still played. Babs musta liked something about him, oh yeah he's an enforcer. But you're an internet poster so I'll assume you have more knowledge of hockey then Babcock and listen to everything you say.

That Janssen hit was dirty and so late. The fight was good, though. I understand admiring your pass, but there is no way you would imagine that after you pass and a few second go by and you are being pinned against the board that you would just be absolutely crushed in the head with an elbow. 3-10 games would suffice. If he would have crushed him with a shoulder check, i would say 2-5 games, but the elbow was excessive.

Actually, the skilled euro Leino was the first they got rid of.

You should change your username, since it discredits what Probie stood for.

Who had the least amount of skill on the team this year? Who never killed penalties? The enforcer.

But wait, he still managed to play most of the season until our team couldn't score goals for some reason and they need to do everything they can to get some goals.

Wow he couldn't score, penalty kill and was the least skilled on the team but still played. Babs musta liked something about him, oh yeah he's an enforcer. But you're an internet poster so I'll assume you have more knowledge of hockey then Babcock and listen to everything you say.

:thumbup:

Babcock and Holland didn't keep May around just to please posters like me.

They must have felt he had some usefullness to the team. This is a business after all.

They must have felt he had some usefullness to the team. This is a business after all.

pure enforcers are useless in today's game...

side note: Probert was a LOT more than just a goon... pretty much averaged 30-40 pts a season for the better part of his career...

They don't have to be able to light the world afire, but they should at least be serviceable hockey players when on the ice...

May is a different story, he was an actual hockey player who could keep guys honest - THESE guys I love and belong on the team... pure goons however, are a waste of a roster spot....

Edited by stevkrause

Leino had value and was traded .. May was waived ..

I never really got the point of him being on the team.. All I saw was the entertainment factor.. the guy was never on the ice when anything did happen.. Steve Ott can run are guys all game long .. whats the likelyhood of May getting on the ice whens Ott's out there? slim to none

Leino had value and was traded .. May was waived ..

I never really got the point of him being on the team.. All I saw was the entertainment factor.. the guy was never on the ice when anything did happen.. Steve Ott can run are guys all game long .. whats the likelyhood of May getting on the ice whens Ott's out there? slim to none

Guess what Leino was traded for? A fighter

And go on hockeyfights and watch May vs Boll. Its a textbook example of what May did. He tried to fight Boll off the faceoff, Boll wouldn't go and he turns around and tries to run Rafalskis head through the glass. May fought him and Boll did nothing the rest of the game.

Guess what Leino was traded for? A fighter

And go on hockeyfights and watch May vs Boll. Its a textbook example of what May did. He tried to fight Boll off the faceoff, Boll wouldn't go and he turns around and tries to run Rafalskis head through the glass. May fought him and Boll did nothing the rest of the game.

Hah .. hows that working out? Toulfson wont see a minute of ice time in Detroit as long as everyone is healthy ..