Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Team USA line combinations announced!

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Here's how the lines panned out in game one:

FORWARDS:

Parise-Stastny-Kane

...I don't think I saw these three seperated the entire game. 1-2-3 among forwards in TOI. Clearly, our first line.

Malone-Pavelski-Kessel

...These three were together for MOST of the game. Malone and Pavelski were 4-5 among forwards in TOI, Kessel 9th behind the entire third line. I thought that I saw Drury on the wing of the second line at one point later in the game, after the lead had been established. I didn't see who he was in for, but I'm guessing he was in for Kessel as a sort of defensive replacement.

Brown-Kesler-Langenbrunner

...I think that these three were together for the entire game as well. 6-7-8 among forwards in TOI.

Ryan-Backes-Callahan

...These three started the game together. 10-11-12 among forwards in TOI. But Drury was getting in on this line in all three periods. And much more often as the game progressed. He ended up with almost the same TOI as Callahan. When Drury was in there, it was usually as a center with Backes on the wing, and less often with Callahan on the wing.

DEFENSEMEN:

Suter-Rafalski

...I don't think that these two were seperated for the entire game. E. Johnson ended up getting the most TOI amongst defensement, but these two were 2-3, and were clearly our top defensive pair.

Whitney-E. Johnson

...This was the second pairing that we started off with. As I mentioned, E. Johnson was 1st in TOI amongst defensemen, but Whitney was 7th. After the lead was established, we saw a lot of Gleason (who ended up 6th amongst defensemen in TOI) playing with E. Johnson.

J. Johnson-Orpik

...This was the third pairing that we started off with. They were 4th and 5th amongst defensemen in TOI. But again, after a lead was established, we saw a lot of Gleason playing with Orpik. However, Gleason spent much more time playing with E. Johnson in the second pairing.

GOALIES:

Miller

Thomas

Quick

...Miller obviously started. I didn't see who was dressed on the bench, but I'm guessing that it was Thomas. Does anyone know!? I heard some rumors that he had been replaced as the backup by Quick the other day.

POWER PLAY:

Parise-Brown-Kane

Langenbrunner-Rafalski

...This was the first power play unit we put out there. However, in the second and third powerplays, I thought that I saw Stastny centering Parise and Kane. Does anyone else remember, for sure?

Malone-Stastny-Kessel

Suter-E. Johnson

...This was the second power play unit we put out there. Howeber, in the second and third power plays...when Stastny was centering the first unit...I thought that I saw Pavelski centering Malone and Kessel. Again, does anyone else remember for sure?

Ryan-Kesler-Brown

...On either the second or third powerplay...once Brown was off the first unit...I thought that I saw this group get a shift with Suter and E. Johnson behind them. Again, not 100% though, is anyone else?

PENALTY KILL:

Kesler-Langenbrunner

Suter-Rafalski

...This was the first penalty kill unit we put out there. Kesler and Langenbrunner seemed to be our go to guys there. But I'm not sure I saw Suter and Rafalski on the penalty kill together after the first shift of the first penalty. Anyone?

Drury-Callahan

Gleason-J. Johnson

...This was the second penalty kill unit we put out there. Though, later in the game, I thought I saw Gleason playing with E. Johnson, and J. Johnson playing with Orpik. That was the penealty where we didn't use Rafalski and Suter together.

Orpik-E. Johnson

...These two never played on the penalty kill together, but like I said, they did get mixed in there, so I'm listing them together here.

RETROSPECT:

...all in all, I liked the even strength lines. If there was one thing I could change, however, it would be getting Ryan on that second line instead of Malone or Kessel. He is just too talented to be burried on the third line. He did have some pretty good chemistry with Backes on that line, but still, I've got to imagine that he would have even better chemistry with better scorers. So, maybe...

1:

Parise-Stastny-Kane

Suter-Rafalski

2:

Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel/Malone

Whitney/Gleason-E. Johnson

3:

Malone/Kessel-Kesler-Langenbrunner/Brown

Orpik-J. Johnson/Gleason

4:

Brown/Langenbrunner-Backes-Callahan...with Drury rotating in at center, moving Backes to the wing.

...as far as special teams were concerned, I liked the penalty-kill units (though I'm not so sure about having Raffy out there for that...and Wislon seemed to adjust for that later in the game). But I didn't like Brown centering the first line of the powerplay. Just give me Parise-Stastny-Kane there. Then on the second unit, you've got to have Ryan. Also, Langenbrunner really isn't much of a threat on the point. Give me J. Johnson or Suter out there.

PP1:

Parise-Stastny-Kane

J. Johnson/Suter-Rafalski

PP2:

Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel

Suter/Langenbrunner-E. Johnson

PK1:

Kesler-Langenbrunner

Gleason/Orpik-E. Johnson/J. Johnson

PK2:

Drury-Callahan

Orpik/Gleason-J. Johnson/E. Johnson

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams
Smartest lines of any country I've seen thus far.

I'd like to see Ryan on that second line...Malone on the third.

Guest zackmorris

I'd like to see Pavelski not even be there. That guy is a total product of his surroundings. Dustin Buttfuglienwhatever would've been such a better pick. I saw a half hour special on the US team on Sportsnet the other night and in spite of half of his colleagues wanting to give him a chance Burke just shot it down instantly.

Guest Lidstromboli

Parise-Stastny-Kane

Lots of puck possession, nice chemistry.

Malone-Pavelski-Kessel

Seemed like Malone was doing most of the work on this line. Pavelski scored and Kessel got some shots in. Kessel seemed to float around a lot.

Brown-Kesler-Langenbrunner

Solid, defensively responsible checking line. Kesler looked a little lost on Switz's goal though.

Ryan-Backes-Callahan

Probably the best line in the game. Backes and Callahan created lots of pressure and checking for Ryan to get the puck. Two goals from this line I believe. Drury butchered a nice opportunity in the 3rd.

Suter-Rafalski

Neither of them were that good during the game. Suter took a stupid penalty. Way too much pinching (that goes for the defense as a whole)

Whitney/Gleason-E. Johnson

Whitney was invisible, but Gleason and Johnson were great.

J. Johnson-Orpik

Orpik was hitting everything in sight as expected. Johnson went into Lebda mode a couple times, but by virtue of not sucking, he actually backchecked and made up for it.

I'd like to see Pavelski not even be there. That guy is a total product of his surroundings. Dustin Buttfuglienwhatever would've been such a better pick. I saw a half hour special on the US team on Sportsnet the other night and in spite of half of his colleagues wanting to give him a chance Burke just shot it down instantly.
Team USA has plenty of bottom six checking line players. Would rather see Tim Connoly in there instead of Pavelski, but whatever. Edited by Lidstromboli