• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown Red Wings

NBC screwing over hockey fans

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm regretting not adding a stab to the fact that they are losing 250million (on the books at least) for the rights on the Olympics this year in my letter while I don't have an option to view sports.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I know this. This is not the point of the thread. Those niche events which become popular during the Olympics are all on NBC. They are not even in the discussion.

The point is the scheduling has been so terrible that the only sport not getting it's due is the men's hockey tournament. Are you gonna sit there and tell me that curling and women's hockey is more important to the American viewing public than men's hockey? If you truly believe this, fine, I give up.

This is early round play. Of course the coverage is going to be bad. That's like saying NBC has horrible coverage because they didn't show a skiing qualifier in its entirety. The coverage will get better once the playoff brackets start up. Hockey goes up to the 28th. Lot's of it left to show.

This is early round play. Of course the coverage is going to be bad. That's like saying NBC has horrible coverage because they didn't show a skiing qualifier in its entirety. The coverage will get better once the playoff brackets start up. Hockey goes up to the 28th. Lot's of it left to show.

You may be right about that. It just seems the men's tournament is the only one not getting their promised airtime.

NBC is only putting the sports that USA is close to winning on the main station ex. Snowboarding. Since the USA hockey team is not heavily favored, they feel it is ok to throw hockey on the sister stations. Cause as Americans we only want to see winners.

edit: spelling

Edited by puckhog419

I've actually stopped watching over-the-air TV for the Olympics and am watching it online. I did the same thing in 2008 during the Summer Games, with the exception of Michael Phelps' races. Those I watched on TV.

I mean, if you're going to screw everyone over like this, I'm going to screw you back by not patronizing your product. I've found that the Canadian stations are giving outstanding coverage, especially for the hockey.

NBC.......Nothing But Curling

I wish >.> I actually love watching curling, cause it's only really ever shown during the olympics, and don't mind joining games in progress while it's just the opening games of the tourny, might be different once we get to the quarter/semis but right now the games aren't that important....

I've thought the preliminary coverage of hockey and curling has been pretty good so far, between USA and CNBC...really it's just some damn boring preliminary games, so it doesn't bother me coming in a few minutes into the game. At least we're seeing them. I haven't missed a game or match yet. I've been more disappointed with the lack of coverage of some of the other sports that I wish I could just sit and watch in full, instead of having to watch the abbreviated NBC "wrap up" show. I'm assuming that you all don't have cable that are complaining about it?

Edited by al48

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I've thought the preliminary coverage of hockey and curling has been pretty good so far, between USA and CNBC...really it's just some damn boring preliminary games, so it doesn't bother me coming in a few minutes into the game. At least we're seeing them. I haven't missed a game or match yet. I've been more disappointed with the lack of coverage of some of the other sports that I wish I could just sit and watch in full, instead of having to watch the abbreviated NBC "wrap up" show. I'm assuming that you all don't have cable that are complaining about it?

Too bad NBC barely shows anything live and nothing in its entirety. When CBC covered the Oly's I could get their broadcast and it was 100 times better than NBC's. Damn CTV.

Guest Shoreline

CNBC's and USA's coverage was very good, as far as the visuals go (still the same douchebag broadcasters). I have an HD receiver, none of my local channels (i.e. NBC, CBS, FOX) are in HD, yet CNBC and USA are in HD, and I got to see both US and Canada games in HD, so I'm perfectly happy with that.

I have to say NBC has done a s***ty job. I can't tell when the game start and end... exactly as the poster said, regardless when you turn the tv on, you will always end up seeing curling... Seriously, there is barely any places in United States where you can even play stupid curling. Most people don't care for it, why is it taking up so much space???? just awful...

As for watching the games themselves, I don't care what channel they are on as lnog as they are on - NBC, VS, the Cartoon Network, The Food Network, whatever.

As for the Crosby leg humping by NBC annoucers...it's stupid but what can ya do...

It is inexcusable though IMO to return to game action late from a commercial. The first Swiss goal against Canada last night I was unable to see because of this.

I have to say NBC has done a s***ty job. I can't tell when the game start and end... exactly as the poster said, regardless when you turn the tv on, you will always end up seeing curling... Seriously, there is barely any places in United States where you can even play stupid curling. Most people don't care for it, why is it taking up so much space???? just awful...

While I definitely don't mind curling, this above is my biggest beef...

*Quoting your post as we both responded at the same time roughly and your post is nestled on the very bottom of the page, wanted to give you proper recognition :P*

It appears my wish has been answered. Today the channel lineups have changed so that coverage begins with the hockey games on MSNBC or CNBC. There shouldn't be any issues with seeing the opening faceoffs today. Great news, because if Sunday's US-Canada game got overran by more women's curling, I'd have likely had an anyeurism.

NBC.......Nothing But Curling

No kidding i fell asleep watching curling while waiting for the Finland/Germany game only to wake up 2 hours later and it was still on, and that was after it had already been on for like 3 hours. WTF

Edited by Original-Six

As for watching the games themselves, I don't care what channel they are on as lnog as they are on - NBC, VS, the Cartoon Network, The Food Network, whatever.

As for the Crosby leg humping by NBC annoucers...it's stupid but what can ya do...

It is inexcusable though IMO to return to game action late from a commercial. The first Swiss goal against Canada last night I was unable to see because of this.

NEW YORK—Flanked by Food Network president Brooke Johnson and cooking-show host Rachael Ray, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that the NHL has opted out of its contract with the Versus cable channel (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) and has reached a long-term broadcasting deal with the Food Network starting in the 2007-08 season.

"In all my years as commissioner, I have learned that our diverse group of fans and players all enjoy food of some sort. Italian, French, barbecue, quick-and-easy 30-minute meals—you name it, one or more of them eat it," said Bettman, adding that Iron Chef French host Hiroyuki Sakai will join play-by-play announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick and analyst Brian Engblom to form a new lead announcing team for all Food Network games. "This partnership has been a long time coming. If the Food Network would have been around in 1991, we would have left ESPN in a heartbeat."

“It’s great to know we will be on television next year,†Bettman added, smiling as the NHL’s new studio team, consisting of Rachael Ray as head hockey anchor and Bill Clement as game analyst, collaborated in an attempt to equate the offsides penalty to “zesting up†a pan-seared T-bone steak. “Thanks, Food Network.â€

Though Bettman maintained that the Food Network was always the league's first choice, sources close to the commissioner confirmed that the NHL also considered broadcasting games on E!, the Golf Channel, and Cartoon Network before eventually deciding to go with the network offering the best combination of financial incentives and airtime.

"We also thought the lead-in programs on Versus, especially those that focused on bull-riding, bass fishing, and violent contact sports, were not entirely compatible with the image of the league," Bettman said. "Now, hockey games will follow Emeril Live, Feasting On Asphalt, and The Hungry Detective, which, as you can plainly see, are a better fit. Also, we are paying the Food Network much less money to broadcast our games."

According to terms of the deal, the Food Network will schedule broadcasts of over 50 full-length hockey games and will carry both the Eastern and Western Conference Semi-Finals, as well as Games 4 through 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The only exception, Bettman said, would be made for Rachael Ray, who appears on television roughly three times more than the NHL. In the case of Ray experiencing a scheduling conflict, hockey games will be postponed and rescheduled at Ray's convenience.

"We liked the idea of having hockey because it has two halftimes," said Food Network president Johnson, adding that the first game on the channel will feature the ceremonial dropping of an inaugural homemade Italian meatball at center ice by honorary referee Mario Batali. "Our debut coverage will include a halftime show hosted by Giada De Laurentiis, who will recap the game's events while guiding you through the preparation of Sicilian penne with swordfish and eggplant. Or, if you are in the mood for something more immediate, on-ice reporter Paula Deen will spend timeouts showing you certain tactics to enhance the flavor of your traditional southwestern dip."

Though she stated that she didn't want to give anything away, Johnson said that the network's first hockey-related profile will focus on Sidney Crosby eating veal and creamed spinach prepared by Roker On The Road host Al Roker. Other hockey players now contractually obligated to make appearances on shows include Chris Drury on Food 911, Martin Brodeur on Calorie Commando, and Alexander Ovechkin on Dinner: Impossible. :lol:

The new broadcasting deal has some sportswriters saying the move will make hockey even more irrelevant, while others believe this is a clear step up for the league.

"I watch the Food Network far more than I watch hockey, and I think most sports fans feel the same way," said Boston Globe sports columnist Bob Ryan. "My favorite program is Food Nation With Bobby Flay. So I'll definitely watch that, and then maybe stick around to watch part of a period if the Bruins are playing. Everybody wins here."

I do like the Olympics precisely because you get to see sports in prime time that you never get to see. So far, I've been able to watch qualifying and/or medal rounds in biathlon, mens and women's long track and short track speed skating, skeleton, luge, women's freestyle, men's skicross, mens and women's moguls, men's and women's super G downhill, men's and women's curling, men's and women's hockey, two-man bobsled, men's figure skating and pairs ice dance (the tango was dreadfully boring a couple of days ago), large hill and normal hill ski jumping, etc. I'm looking forward to the rest of it too, largely because in Canada there's always three channels doing SOMETHING live.

I don't want this valuable NBC-bashing thread turning into hockey versus curling. If you personally have a problem with curling, that's not NBC's fault. In Vacouver last night in the 10th end of the Canada-UK curling match had an impromptu crowd-wide version of O Canada sung extremely loudly by almost everyone in the audience. It sounded louder than anything else I've ever heard in a curling crowd, and I've been to a couple of Scotties finals. It's such an agonizingly precise sport with so many tough decisions to make. I rememeber it getting a lot of hype in the 2002 games and I remember hoping more than a handful of countries can get it like Canada (and speicifically Weswtern Canada) gets it.

In Canada a few months ago, Edmonton's Rexall Place was packed to the rafters for a week and a half for the men's and women's Olympic qualifiers. I apologize on behalf of all Canadians (and Scots and Swedes and Chinese people) if there isn't enough Mark McGwires or Gilbert Arenas' or Plaxico Burris' or Sean Averys in curling taking 'roids/degrading women/ getting arrested for gun crimes to hold your attention.

It's a damn shame NBC isn't giving these games enough of their attention in coverage of actual live events; it's hard to beleive they don't realize that's what many people want and need to see in order to feel as close as possible to it. If this is the case, it's seems as if the network has decided to cut their losses early and screw their viewership out of something truly great, which is what I'm sure a lot of Canadians feel these games have been so far.