No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
king_malice

Lidstrom isn't thinking retirement

Rate this topic

February 18, 2010 // 10:46pm ET

Lidstrom isn't thinking retirement

TheFourthPeriod.com

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom, a four-time Stanley Cup champion, may be turning 40 in April, but that isn't stopping him from performing well on the ice.

Lidstrom, who is competing for a gold medal for Sweden at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, is in the final year of his contract with the Wings and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

While it's almost a foregone conclusion that Lidstrom would re-sign with the Wings if he chooses to return to the NHL next season, retirement is the last thing on his mind.

"I haven't thought much about it," Lidstrom told the Detroit Free Press. "It's something I'll think about after the season is over."

Lidstrom, a six-time Norris Trophy winner, is making $7.45 million this season and will undoubtedly take a significant pay cut -- around $3 million -- if he is locked up to a new contract.

In 61 games with the Wings this season, Lidstrom has posted six goals and 29 assists for 35 points.

[ From the Editor ]

Lidstrom's definitely playing like he has more hockey left in him. I'd be very surprised to see him hang up his skates after this season. A two-year extension could definitely be in the cards. -- David Pagnotta

Visit David Pagnotta's TWITTER page for frequent comments and updates.

Well, the way he is playing he should volunteer for a big cut so this team has some more space. I'm sorry, but I am disappointed in him this season. Is he our best D? Of course, but as captain and our star player he has to take some responsibility. Proceed with your calling me out for being a bad fan, not appreciating the years of his amazing play, the Cups, the Norris trophies, the nearly amputated ********... he is not playing up to his standards. Even so, I will say this. Once he is gone, if you guys think this year is rough, just wait.

do u think he is only good for one more year? id honestly say that lids would be a top dman in the league for at least the next 3 years. what if the wings signed him to a 3 year, with a million off each year. that would even lower our cap hit on him.

I defintly think he could play another 3 years but not on the top line. You can see it this season he has lost a step, but just think if he takes a cut to 3 mill thats 4.5 mill to spend just from his contract maybe on another D. But anyways i think next season he could still be on the top line but the 2nd moved to 2nd line which seems bad but its really not could you imagine having him on the 2nd line i think that would be even better.

Rafalski-Stuart/Kronwall

Lidstrom-Stuart/Kronwall

Lilja-Kindl/Janik

or sub in a D if we signed one

Lidstrom can play for the next couple years. Consider the calming prescence the guy has. He never panics. This team needs that influence during this transition period.

I hope he takes a cap hit of like 3 million or less. He deserves more, but he probably has enough money at his age to where he won't need the extra couple million of salary.

He can barely even take a slapshot from the point anymore.. Its obvious his elbow is f'd. That being said, he writes his own ticket and plays another year or two if he wishes (hopefully does take a decent paycut so we have some movement ability).

Lidstrom will leave, when he wants to leave. He will leave on his terms and in the good graces and well wishes of the Red Wings organization. He most likely will take a paycut. I see him in the 4-4.5 million range for two years. He knows that if he takes a cut the Red Wings can be that much more competitive for the next two years. And, he has never given any indication that he was a greedy or selfish player. He still plays on a very high level. Not Norris Trophy level, but high enough. The best part is that he has been so smart, and positionally sound there isn't too much wear on his body. And for those complaining about the offense, or the lack thereof, after this year, when/if his cap hit drops I'm okay with him playing solid defense and mediocre offense.

I'm pretty sure the guy meant he'd take a 3 million dollar pay cut, not that he'd make 3 million. I think anyone would take nick for 4.5, but I'm not so sure he's going to be willing to take less than Rafalski. He's a much better player still and will be next year also.

Well, the way he is playing he should volunteer for a big cut so this team has some more space. I'm sorry, but I am disappointed in him this season. Is he our best D? Of course, but as captain and our star player he has to take some responsibility. Proceed with your calling me out for being a bad fan, not appreciating the years of his amazing play, the Cups, the Norris trophies, the nearly amputated ********... he is not playing up to his standards. Even so, I will say this. Once he is gone, if you guys think this year is rough, just wait.

That's just not true. The first 35-40 games of the season? Yes, Lidstrom wasn't great.

The last 20-25 games have been great for him. Lidstrom's been a point per game player over the last 20 or 25 games. He's been excellent defensively all year (yes even when he wasn't putting offensive numbers up). Look at his +/- on this team. Right now the Wings have scored fewer goals than they've let in. Yet Lidstrom still has an excellent +/-.

Lidstrom's the only Red Wing superstar that's played like he's supposed to lately.

I defintly think he could play another 3 years but not on the top line. You can see it this season he has lost a step, but just think if he takes a cut to 3 mill thats 4.5 mill to spend just from his contract maybe on another D. But anyways i think next season he could still be on the top line but the 2nd moved to 2nd line which seems bad but its really not could you imagine having him on the 2nd line i think that would be even better.

Rafalski-Stuart/Kronwall

Lidstrom-Stuart/Kronwall

Lilja-Kindl/Janik

or sub in a D if we signed one

Lidstrom at age 45 will still be better than Stuart in his prime.

He's still the best shut-down d-man in the league. The only guy you could argue this about would be Keith and even then I don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure the guy meant he'd take a 3 million dollar pay cut, not that he'd make 3 million. I think anyone would take nick for 4.5, but I'm not so sure he's going to be willing to take less than Rafalski. He's a much better player still and will be next year also.

I interpreted the article this way as well. I thought it implied he'd take a $3M pay cut - hence a salary of $4.45M a yr.

In my opinion I think we'll see LIdstrom sign one year deals from here on out. I, along with some other posters, think Nick has a couple more years left (maybe even three) but I can't see him making that commitment - nor can I see Holland. We all know 35+ y.o contracts are a big gamble no matter who the player. With an nagging elbow injury that conceivably could end Nick's career at any time I can't really imagine Holland agreeing to a three year deal with Nick.

One year deals here on out.

The good thing about Nick is that he was never the fastest skater or the biggest checker, so his defense hasn't really suffered, but his shots from the point have, so his offense is down and his pay should reflect that.

Lidstrom at age 45 will still be better than Stuart in his prime.

He's still the best shut-down d-man in the league. The only guy you could argue this about would be Keith and even then I don't buy it.

I'm with you. Just because he isn't playing at superhuman levels doesn't mean his status in the league has changed. He probably is still the best in his own end in the entire league. In the next couple years that might change but for now, no.

Even if his play had dropped so dramatically, like some in here like to try and convince us all of, his leadership and hockey IQ are so strong those traits alone would be worth keeping him around for. The mentoring he'd be able to provide guys like Jonathan Ericsson and Jakub Kindl (and maybe even Brendan Smith) with would be absolutely invaluable.

Now, the fact that Lidstrom's play hasn't dropped off nearly that much, if at all, only furthers the fact he should and will be back. This whole dance happened before his last contract too. Nick has never particularly liked the spotlight on him and will wait until after the season to re-sign. In my humble opinion Nick will re-sign right before July 1 somewhere in that $4.5-5M/yr range for one season.

I never said Lidstrom isn't better then Stuart i just said speed wise you can see Lidstrom is starting to lose it. With younger guys coming up on top lines around the league you can see it already he is losing the foot races to the puck. I don't think he cares if he makes less then Rafalski he could have easly went to another team over the years and made 8mill or more, I see him signing 2yrs 3.5 mill per season if he decides to return. When he does decide to leave hopefully they hire him on as a defensive coach for the younger guys.

I never said Lidstrom isn't better then Stuart i just said speed wise you can see Lidstrom is starting to lose it. With younger guys coming up on top lines around the league you can see it already he is losing the foot races to the puck. I don't think he cares if he makes less then Rafalski he could have easly went to another team over the years and made 8mill or more, I see him signing 2yrs 3.5 mill per season if he decides to return. When he does decide to leave hopefully they hire him on as a defensive coach for the younger guys.

As sad as the day will be when he does retire that would really be amazing if that happened. Sadly, I sincerely doubt that he'd want that. There's always been talk of him wanting to go home to Sweden and all of that. That being said, I'm all for the idea. I think Lidstrom could become one of the best D coaches around

As sad as the day will be when he does retire that would really be amazing if that happened. Sadly, I sincerely doubt that he'd want that. There's always been talk of him wanting to go home to Sweden and all of that. That being said, I'm all for the idea. I think Lidstrom could become one of the best D coaches around

Wasn't that the talk before one of the last contracts though, because of his kids and school, etc... I think they're all pretty locked into the US with college, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up becoming a full time citizen, unless he does end up wanting to run for office in Sweden (don't laugh, the man is a genius and could very well become Prime Minister over there over time after some smaller offices first)

f*** this.

Every year that he stays on the team, he hinders Lebda's growth as a player.

Retire already, Nick!

please tell me this is a joke ?. Lebda is a terrible d-man he should just play forward saying thats all he wants to do when he is out there.