• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jon22

Doc Emrick's call of Kesler's game ender

Rate this topic

Doc is brutal.

heh...yeah, i mean, he's got some quirks and a few annoying habits, but i think overall he calls games well. i can get a little tired of him after a couple of series, but he always puts a lot of energy and emotion in to it, and, a little crosby-hyping aside (he's far from the worst), calls games evenly. he would have been just as excited if canada scored to tie it, but no more so.

I put the clip up on YouTube.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> &">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> &" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /> Edited by PRStoetzer

heh...yeah, i mean, he's got some quirks and a few annoying habits, but i think overall he calls games well. i can get a little tired of him after a couple of series, but he always puts a lot of energy and emotion in to it, and, a little crosby-hyping aside (he's far from the worst), calls games evenly. he would have been just as excited if canada scored to tie it, but no more so.

I don't know. To me it sounded like he kind of lost control (in a good way) when Kesler unexpectedly scored. You could hear that buried hope that USA would win sneak out of him. That's why I like the clip so much.

I'm kind of comparing it to the way he called Samuelsson's OT winner against Chicago last year in the WCF. He's excited when he calls it, but even with the follow-up of, "Samuelsson ends it, 3-2" you can tell he's just a hockey announcer. In this clip I think he's a fan of the USA who was intense, but didn't anticipate the USA closing it out right there at that moment.

I don't know. To me it sounded like he kind of lost control (in a good way) when Kesler unexpectedly scored. You could hear that buried hope that USA would win sneak out of him. That's why I like the clip so much.

I'm kind of comparing it to the way he called Samuelsson's OT winner against Chicago last year in the WCF. He's excited when he calls it, but even with the follow-up of, "Samuelsson ends it, 3-2" you can tell he's just a hockey announcer. In this clip I think he's a fan of the USA who was intense, but didn't anticipate the USA closing it out right there at that moment.

He was also pretty excited on this one too.

I was listening on the radio and they had the same excitement there. I had just picked up my wife so I didn't hear it was Kesler who scored, but the excitement immediately let me to believe Canada had tied it.

Doc Emerick is pure class, this is a guy every announcer should try and be.

He has some quirks but he has to, every announcer needs their cliche saying, and if you are not the hometown fan of that guy you are usually going to find it annoying.

From this guy's "Marty Broduer Vs the World" comment in 98-99 post season (I think), to this call of Kessler, the thing about Doc is (and I fine this his best quality) he gets that excited over a good hockey play. That is it, he is into the game, gets into the emotion and the flow of the game, very few announcers are in Doc's class as far as I am concerned.

Kessler's goal was 100% Hustle, now if Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, Mccarty, Malkin, Datsyuk, Chara, Steve Downie, or Andrew Brunette had scored that goal Doc is just as excited.

He doesn't care who made the play if it was exciting and fun Doc is into it.

He is in love with the game and it shows in almost every comment he makes.

No he isn't.

Yes he is :rolleyes:

Look he seems like a real nice guy. I like his excitement and passion for the game. I just can't stand the way he speaks in retard sentences, non hockey terms. He uses so many dumb phrases that he easily gets behind the play by two or three plays. I mean WTF is the point of a play by play man that can't keep up with the play? The game is too fast for his style of mouth mumbo jumbo. For Gods sake I want to know who has the puck now not who "twisted it along" at the other end of the ice.

He reminds of another retard by the name of John Keating. The guy has a mouthful of stupid and takes 10 second pauses trying to gather himself before he can finish a sentence. He's so irritating I can't even watch his segments.

Edited by Pucks

Look he seems like a real nice guy. I like his excitement and passion for the game. I just can't stand the way he speaks in retard sentences, non hockey terms. He uses so many dumb phrases that he easily gets behind the play by two or three plays. I mean WTF is the point of a play by play man that can't keep up with the play? The game is too fast for his style of mouth mumbo jumbo. For Gods sake I want to know who has the puck now not who "twisted it along" at the other end of the ice.

He reminds of another retard by the name of John Keating. The guy has a mouthful of stupid and takes 10 second pauses trying to gather himself before he can finish a sentence. He's so irritating I can't even watch his segments.

This is something I'm sure most of us can agree on.

John Keating does commentary between periods and after games for a local sports network. Doc Emrick has been doing play-by-play for many years for multiple different broadcasting corporations and for just about every single big-game event in hockey. His "phrases" are more intellectual than anyone else in the NHL (and for the record every play-by-play guy has phrases) and instead of saying "saves" and "passes" and "shoots" he brings a much bigger vocabulary to the table.

Doc is in my opinion the second best play-by-play analyst next to Gary Thorne, and is the perfect choice for these games. Nobody who works for NBC or the NHL right now even comes close.

John Keating does commentary between periods and after games for a local sports network. Doc Emrick has been doing play-by-play for many years for multiple different broadcasting corporations and for just about every single big-game event in hockey. His "phrases" are more intellectual than anyone else in the NHL (and for the record every play-by-play guy has phrases) and instead of saying "saves" and "passes" and "shoots" he brings a much bigger vocabulary to the table.

Doc is in my opinion the second best play-by-play analyst next to Gary Thorne, and is the perfect choice for these games. Nobody who works for NBC or the NHL right now even comes close.

What about Dave Straider?

What about Dave Straider?

Eh.

Straider, Hughson, and Cole are in a lower tier in my opinion. Some say they are close up, some say they are even better, some say they are much worse. But that is all subjective when it comes to ranking those five guys in relation to each other.

Then of course you have Beninati (love his goal calls), Forslund, and a couple others who are considered some of the best in the business.

Edited by Doc Holliday

He was also pretty excited on this one too.

man, i must have watched that highlight about seventy-five thousand times after it happened. doc's call was my facebook status for like a week. man...that gets the blood going.

Gotta love the fact that it was Perry who got his ass beat by Kesler on that play. :thumbup:

yes. yes, you absolutely have to love it. f'n hate perry.

just to play devil's advocate, watch the difference between about 0:12 and 0:35 in

and the first 0:38 of this clip, and tell me that doc isn't more on top of the play than the CBC guy, and i defy you to tell me that doc's call isn't the more exciting of the two.

also, furthermore, look at the OT goal clip by helm in this clip, also CBC, as compared to doc's call of the same play in the original

i'm not saying the CBC call was bad in this second situation, but look at where helm is before the announcer actually says "scores!" they're both a little late, but the CBC guy is even later. i'm not saying that that's such a huge deal, but to say doc is WAY late on everything when he's actually a hair ahead of the best the CBC has to offer on an OT, series-ending goal is a little silly.

To be fair I think that whole trio of idiots stink. The constant man crushing and guy part slurping that peeyou and Edsblow do is nauseating. That act like world would end if a microsecond of time passed where they didn't fill the air with noise. Kinda like the girls that wear too much makeup, less is more.

Anyone wanting a truly awesome game watching experience, just cut out the center channel on the surround sound and watch the game with just the arena and ice sounds. Free of the circus act, biases, and over analyzing absurdity that broadcasting has become.

I've never heard someone so excited about an empty netter. You'd have thought Doc himself got credit for the goal.

You obviously didnt see the goal then. It was possibly one of the most amazing efforts and goal on an empty net of all time. If Cathy Lee Crysby would've given an half that effort, maybe Canada wouldn't be facing elimination tonight, then if they do advance have to face the Russian Team. (BTW Canada will not bet the Russian's)

Is Forslund the guy who says "(goalie name) says no!"? Hate that.

is this the guy from the hurricanes? hes not that bad BUT in my opinion best team as far as any announces go who call it they way it should be called are the guys from LA Jim Fox and Bob Miller, living in california it sucks that we can't watch the detroit feed when they play the kings but i can live with the LA team i've always liked em.

Guest Lidstromboli

kesler out-muscling corey perry made it even better

at least that's who i think it was

I think Doc is great. I don't agree with what somebody said earlier in that he has bad with keeping up with the play. I think he is great at finding ways to constantly describe what is going on without stopping. He never seems to get tongue tied.

I also love how you can genuinely tell how much he loves what he is doing. I think it's funny how after a particularly intense sequence, sometimes he seems overwhelmed or something. The goalie will finally freeze it and and doc will just kinda chuckle and go "oohhh myy..."

To be fair I think that whole trio of idiots stink. The constant man crushing and guy part slurping that peeyou and Edsblow do is nauseating. That act like world would end if a microsecond of time passed where they didn't fill the air with noise. Kinda like the girls that wear too much makeup, less is more.

Anyone wanting a truly awesome game watching experience, just cut out the center channel on the surround sound and watch the game with just the arena and ice sounds. Free of the circus act, biases, and over analyzing absurdity that broadcasting has become.

Edzo and Pierre are pretty awful yes but that doesn't take away from the experience unless you focus on it.

Kinda like the Crosby "love" he apparently gets from the media.