• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 brettq

brettq

Prospect

• Gold Booster
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the new ringtone! A quality Doc soundbyte with no mention of waffleboarding.

#22 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (brettq @ February 22, 2010 - 10:09PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the new ringtone! A quality Doc soundbyte with no mention of waffleboarding.

Or DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Overall I like Doc, every announcer has some annoying gimmicks and he has less than most others. And he seems to know the game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#23 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Music to my ears!!!

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#24 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Beautiful sound. Thanks for the clip.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#25 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

Doc is brutal.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (Pucks @ February 22, 2010 - 11:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doc is brutal.

No he isn't.

Posted Image

#27 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Pucks @ February 22, 2010 - 11:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doc is brutal.

heh...yeah, i mean, he's got some quirks and a few annoying habits, but i think overall he calls games well. i can get a little tired of him after a couple of series, but he always puts a lot of energy and emotion in to it, and, a little crosby-hyping aside (he's far from the worst), calls games evenly. he would have been just as excited if canada scored to tie it, but no more so.

go wings.

#28 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:24 AM

I put the clip up on YouTube.

Edited by PRStoetzer, 23 February 2010 - 07:27 AM.

#29 Jon22

Jon22

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (stormboy @ February 23, 2010 - 05:38AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
heh...yeah, i mean, he's got some quirks and a few annoying habits, but i think overall he calls games well. i can get a little tired of him after a couple of series, but he always puts a lot of energy and emotion in to it, and, a little crosby-hyping aside (he's far from the worst), calls games evenly. he would have been just as excited if canada scored to tie it, but no more so.

I don't know. To me it sounded like he kind of lost control (in a good way) when Kesler unexpectedly scored. You could hear that buried hope that USA would win sneak out of him. That's why I like the clip so much.

I'm kind of comparing it to the way he called Samuelsson's OT winner against Chicago last year in the WCF. He's excited when he calls it, but even with the follow-up of, "Samuelsson ends it, 3-2" you can tell he's just a hockey announcer. In this clip I think he's a fan of the USA who was intense, but didn't anticipate the USA closing it out right there at that moment.

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Jon22 @ February 23, 2010 - 08:10AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know. To me it sounded like he kind of lost control (in a good way) when Kesler unexpectedly scored. You could hear that buried hope that USA would win sneak out of him. That's why I like the clip so much.

I'm kind of comparing it to the way he called Samuelsson's OT winner against Chicago last year in the WCF. He's excited when he calls it, but even with the follow-up of, "Samuelsson ends it, 3-2" you can tell he's just a hockey announcer. In this clip I think he's a fan of the USA who was intense, but didn't anticipate the USA closing it out right there at that moment.

He was also pretty excited on this one too.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#31 NJmonak10

NJmonak10

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

I was listening on the radio and they had the same excitement there. I had just picked up my wife so I didn't hear it was Kesler who scored, but the excitement immediately let me to believe Canada had tied it.

#32 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Doc Emerick is pure class, this is a guy every announcer should try and be.

He has some quirks but he has to, every announcer needs their cliche saying, and if you are not the hometown fan of that guy you are usually going to find it annoying.

From this guy's "Marty Broduer Vs the World" comment in 98-99 post season (I think), to this call of Kessler, the thing about Doc is (and I fine this his best quality) he gets that excited over a good hockey play. That is it, he is into the game, gets into the emotion and the flow of the game, very few announcers are in Doc's class as far as I am concerned.

Kessler's goal was 100% Hustle, now if Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, Mccarty, Malkin, Datsyuk, Chara, Steve Downie, or Andrew Brunette had scored that goal Doc is just as excited.

He doesn't care who made the play if it was exciting and fun Doc is into it.

He is in love with the game and it shows in almost every comment he makes.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#33 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Gotta love the fact that it was Perry who got his ass beat by Kesler on that play. thumbup.gif
Thank You TeeMan

#34 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ February 23, 2010 - 02:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he isn't.

Yes he is rolleyes.gif

Look he seems like a real nice guy. I like his excitement and passion for the game. I just can't stand the way he speaks in retard sentences, non hockey terms. He uses so many dumb phrases that he easily gets behind the play by two or three plays. I mean WTF is the point of a play by play man that can't keep up with the play? The game is too fast for his style of mouth mumbo jumbo. For Gods sake I want to know who has the puck now not who "twisted it along" at the other end of the ice.

He reminds of another retard by the name of John Keating. The guy has a mouthful of stupid and takes 10 second pauses trying to gather himself before he can finish a sentence. He's so irritating I can't even watch his segments.

Edited by Pucks, 23 February 2010 - 12:25 PM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Pucks @ February 23, 2010 - 12:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes he is rolleyes.gif

Look he seems like a real nice guy. I like his excitement and passion for the game. I just can't stand the way he speaks in retard sentences, non hockey terms. He uses so many dumb phrases that he easily gets behind the play by two or three plays. I mean WTF is the point of a play by play man that can't keep up with the play? The game is too fast for his style of mouth mumbo jumbo. For Gods sake I want to know who has the puck now not who "twisted it along" at the other end of the ice.

He reminds of another retard by the name of John Keating. The guy has a mouthful of stupid and takes 10 second pauses trying to gather himself before he can finish a sentence. He's so irritating I can't even watch his segments.

This is something I'm sure most of us can agree on.

#36 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Pucks @ February 23, 2010 - 12:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes he is rolleyes.gif

John Keating does commentary between periods and after games for a local sports network. Doc Emrick has been doing play-by-play for many years for multiple different broadcasting corporations and for just about every single big-game event in hockey. His "phrases" are more intellectual than anyone else in the NHL (and for the record every play-by-play guy has phrases) and instead of saying "saves" and "passes" and "shoots" he brings a much bigger vocabulary to the table.

Doc is in my opinion the second best play-by-play analyst next to Gary Thorne, and is the perfect choice for these games. Nobody who works for NBC or the NHL right now even comes close.

Posted Image

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ February 23, 2010 - 12:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John Keating does commentary between periods and after games for a local sports network. Doc Emrick has been doing play-by-play for many years for multiple different broadcasting corporations and for just about every single big-game event in hockey. His "phrases" are more intellectual than anyone else in the NHL (and for the record every play-by-play guy has phrases) and instead of saying "saves" and "passes" and "shoots" he brings a much bigger vocabulary to the table.

Doc is in my opinion the second best play-by-play analyst next to Gary Thorne, and is the perfect choice for these games. Nobody who works for NBC or the NHL right now even comes close.

What about Dave Straider?

#38 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ February 23, 2010 - 12:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about Dave Straider?

Eh.

Straider, Hughson, and Cole are in a lower tier in my opinion. Some say they are close up, some say they are even better, some say they are much worse. But that is all subjective when it comes to ranking those five guys in relation to each other.

Then of course you have Beninati (love his goal calls), Forslund, and a couple others who are considered some of the best in the business.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 23 February 2010 - 12:44 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Boomtron

Boomtron

3rd line grinder

• 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (PRStoetzer @ February 22, 2010 - 03:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doc lives in St. Clair.

Is this true?!

#40 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Is Forslund the guy who says "(goalie name) says no!"? Hate that.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y