• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Zetterberg the best swede in nhl, accoring to Team Sweden players

Rate this topic

I dream of Zetterberg being in the same class as Crosby.

He hasn't been since 07-08.

apparently you missed the playoffs from 10 months ago. Franzen was on Crosnby level too, Zetterberg was above it. Because not only did he put up great offensive numbers, but he also shut down Crosby for the most part.

*response to Titanium:

The only one that comes close to C-word hype in Sweden is Forsberg.

No player gets more attention, more articles written about him, more inteviews. During Modo's games this season they've been timing each of his shifts, and talking to and about him in every intermission.

Zetterberg gets NO hype compared to him. In fact I think Z is underrated over here. The 07-08 season he should have gotten serious consideration for sports awards here, but it's all about Skiiers or Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

But Lids is of course even more underrated, even among the players themselves it seems. I would of course not be upset if Lids had won that vote.

However I doubt the swedish NHL players voted for Z because he looks good and has an even hotter gf. I'm guessing it has more to do with the fact that he has outplayed Crosby in the SCF two years in a row, the biggest stage possible. Or that he is such a complete player.

Edited by dat's sick

Zetterberg is a great player, but he is not the best Swede. Lidstrom is still the best. Next, I would have to go with Backstrom. That kid is good, really good, and he is only 22. Zetterberg is probably the better defensive forward, but offensively, Backstrom has him beat.

Would it be possible to get Backstrom next year? He is a restricted free agent this summer....

Edited by cupforwings

Would it be possible to get Backstrom next year? He is a restricted free agent this summer....

Washington is gonna lock him up Fritzl-style. Long and hard.

Semin could become available though...they only signed him to a 1-year extension..

Washington is gonna lock him up Fritzl-style. Long and hard.

Semin could become available though...they only signed him to a 1-year extension..

Yeah, that's what I figured. Semin would be good, but I think Backstrom would be a better fit for the wings.... too bad I guess.

First of all...

Haha, the C-word. I like that. I think I might refer to him that way from now on. Or maybe combine it with my previous nickname for him as "Whiny Face C-Word."

Second of all, Z is the best at what exactly? What are we saying he's the best at? As much as I love Z and am proud to say that he's been my favorite player ever since I saw him fill in admirably for Yzerman during his rookie season, I can't help but think that this latest statement is just the selling of an image. I remember reading something from the Swedish press where they said Zetterberg has the best image because he's good looking, he's laid back, friendly, has a celebrity fiancee and his name has a certain sound to it that people like. If the Swedes want to pick someone to promote an image when they ask themselves, "Who do we want people to think of as the typical Swedish player?" then that's fine, Z is definitely a good choice. But when it comes to overall hockey skill and ability alone, then I'm sorry but I disagree with anyone who says Z is the best Swede. He's close, but I think Lidstrom is having a better year than him. If this were really about respect, then why doesn't Lidstrom get that honor? I mean, how can Z be the best Swede in the NHL when he's not even the best Swede on his own team? (See how eerie this whole thing is?). If Team Sweden is going to say that Z is "the best Swede in the NHL" then I'm sorry but that has C-word hype written all over it.

Eerie? You are funny. You are not that wrong about everything you are saying, but you are making this a WHOLE lot bigger deal than it is.

Do you honestly think the players voted because "hype"? If you truly believe Zetterbergs image or hype as you call it, is anywhere near Crosby's, then you are really delusional.

Edited by blikst

The only one that comes close to C-word hype in Sweden is Forsberg.

Does it seem like the hockey media in Sweden is looking hard for the next Forsberg?

The comparison probably won't ever make much sense to me because who else can really bull their way to the net with the puck on a frequent basis like he did?

i love z but he always is circling around the net, he never takes on defenders because hes not confident, maybe he is uncomfortable being so important to the team. even when i watch sweden he still is glue to the boards, even my swedish friend says he is different than a few years ago. i noticed he had changed last year but i hoped he would be better this year. i will never give up henrik <3

backstrom i think is the future of hockey he will never have the goal instinct of crosby or ovechkin but he can read the game maybe better than both and he will become one of the best in the world, he is already the most underrated in the league i think and remember he was very good when capitals played us.

maybe we can get backstrom if lidstrom retire??? backstrom last year of rookie contract, if capitals cannot afford him there will be a race