• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Behind Enemy Lines in CO

NBC Leaves NHL out in the cold

Rate this topic

Commissioner Gary Bettman should tell the IOC he's pulling the plug on this experiment that began in Nagano in 1998.

No, Bettman should pull the plug on NBC. They pretend hockey starts on New Years Day, then wait a few weeks, and then show a whopping 1 game per week. Seriously, get the game back on the 'Worldwide Leader of Sports', ESPN. Sure, go on about how ESPN doesn't care about hockey. But why should they? Bettman left ESPN.

No, Bettman should pull the plug on NBC. They pretend hockey starts on New Years Day, then wait a few weeks, and then show a whopping 1 game per week. Seriously, get the game back on the 'Worldwide Leader of Sports', ESPN. Sure, go on about how ESPN doesn't care about hockey. But why should they? Bettman left ESPN.

NBC totally blew it with their stoopidity and arrogance by ONLY showing that game on their one network that doesn't have HD. (And on Directv - don't know about other cable/satellite companies - they have at least two other purely HD channels they could have shown it on.) And at the same time, on CNBC, they had curling. Yeah, you read that right. Like anyone has to watch that slower-than-dog-turds-drying-in-the-sun-sport in HD. And then they have the gall to tout how many viewers watched that game...when the viewers' interests were obviously never even taken into consideration.

Meanwhile, I'd like to think that's true about espn, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. From what I've read, espn did not want hockey back. Just like we don't want Buttman back.

NBC totally blew it with their stoopidity and arrogance by ONLY showing that game on their one network that doesn't have HD. (And on Directv - don't know about other cable/satellite companies - they have at least two other purely HD channels they could have shown it on.) And at the same time, on CNBC, they had curling. Yeah, you read that right. Like anyone has to watch that slower-than-dog-turds-drying-in-the-sun-sport in HD. And then they have the gall to tout how many viewers watched that game...when the viewers' interests were obviously never even taken into consideration.

Meanwhile, I'd like to think that's true about espn, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. From what I've read, espn did not want hockey back. Just like we don't want Buttman back.

I have msnbc hd, but that is beyond the point, the point is it should have been on nbc

For me personally, I don't care what channel the games are on. NBC, MSNBC, ESPN, FX, Food Network, truTV, whatever.

And this is not meant to be a post that dogs curling or figure skating or ice dancing - they have their spots in the Olympics, they should be televised and broadcasted as well.

However, to have hockey matchups like US-Canada, Russia-Czech Republic, and Sweden-Norway - countries that at least don't like each other when it comes to international sport, to have them not all show on the higher-up channels is real disappointing, when hockey is at the very least equally exciting as bobsledding, the luge, alpine skiing, ski jumping, etc.

For me personally, I don't care what channel the games are on. NBC, MSNBC, ESPN, FX, Food Network, truTV, whatever.

And this is not meant to be a post that dogs curling or figure skating or ice dancing - they have their spots in the Olympics, they should be televised and broadcasted as well.

However, to have hockey matchups like US-Canada, Russia-Czech Republic, and Sweden-Norway - countries that at least don't like each other when it comes to international sport, to have them not all show on the higher-up channels is real disappointing, when hockey is at the very least equally exciting as bobsledding, the luge, alpine skiing, ski jumping, etc.

This is what happens when the TV networks rule the (sports) world. Especially with the NHL, NBC is dictating what goes on and where. NBC was the one who set-up the schedule for the finals, last year. They were the ones who chose Philadelphia over Washington in the Winter Classic, and they put USA versus Canada on a non HD channel.

Bettman left ESPN.

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_(TV_channel)#Hockey

On August 17, 2005, ESPN chose not to match OLN's three-year, US$200 million offer for the NHL's U.S. cable TV rights.[4]

4 = http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?i...TC-DT9705204233

"Tonight, we informed the NHL that we did not accept their final contract offer," ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer said in a statement. "We worked very hard to build and sustain our relationship with the league and would have liked to continue. However, given the prolonged work stoppage and the league's TV ratings history, no financial model even remotely supports the contract terms offered."

ESPN evangelists should blame Bodenheimer.

That's beside the point. Your signature says it all...

Are you really happy with the coverage the NHL gets? If you are, you're in the minority. Right now hockey is the 4th major sport in the country, and it's in danger of falling lower than that. Look at the top 3, all covered on ESPN.

Guest Shoreline

Personally I don't want ANY games on NBC. Every time a game has been put there to this point it's been on tape delay for people who aren't out east and not even in HD. Yet, when games are on CNBC and MSNBC they actually air live if not a delay of only a few minutes, and are in HD. Like anyone else, I'd rather have some other network who actually appreciates hockey and can help it grow with all the viewers it gets broadcast the olympics -- hell, I'd rather get TSN or whoever is airing it in Canada -- but there hasn't exactly been an important game that's been missed, even with the stupid delays. I just hope the next rounds and the medals aren't on NBC.

Are you really happy with the coverage the NHL gets? If you are, you're in the minority. Right now hockey is the 4th major sport in the country, and it's in danger of falling lower than that. Look at the top 3, all covered on ESPN.

Ummm ... no, that is the point. ESPN had a chance to match OLN's offer and ESPN didn't. That's the point. NHL and Bettman didn't leave ESPN; ESPN left the NHL.

No, I'm not happy the coverage the NHL receives, and I wasn't happy with ESPN's coverage either. To think that it will be better on a Mickey Mouse network is foolhardy. I do think it's better now than then.

What's funny is I remember hearing a Bodenheimer interview on the radio in February 2007 time frame where he said the NHL should come back to ESPN, clearly faulting the NHL when in fact it was his fault the NHL left. The puck was in his zone. He decided not play it.

Oh and thanks for reminding me about my outdated signature. I have signatures turned off. I had that though for all the ESPN apologists on the board - just in case they forgot that in fact the NHL has the most lucrative contract it could get and it's with Versus.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Anyone who thinks that ESPN was going to shell out $200 million for a 3 year TV contract with a sport coming off of a season long lockout and already dwindling ratings before the lockout is crazy. ESPN might have said no to the NHL but Bettman and the NHL made it the only option for ESPN when they negotiated the OLN deal. The NHL sacrificed exposure for cash. ESPN is a business, not a charity.

I also don't care what station they're on, but you'd think a match-up like Canada/USA would get marquee billing on NBC. I mean, that would be like airing the Oscars on MTV or something. Makes no sense. Then again, nothing NBC has done in the last 5 years or so has made any sense and when you add Bettman/the NHL to the mix, you get even less sense than that. I know, I know......hockey isn't as important to the US as it is to Canada and I get that. That doesn't mean American hockey fans should be left with their thumbs up their asses, either.

For Christ's sake Bettman.....get it together. <_<

In terms of popularity in the US, I don't even think it's close to 4th. I read somewhere that along with the NBA, NFL, and MLB, that NASCAR, and College Football/Basketball all get more viewership than the NHL. I'm sure the s***ty TV contract doesn't help.

Edit:

I hate Wiki as a source, but here you go:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_professio...k_in_popularity

In the United States today, a reasonable estimate of the popularity order might be:

NFL (National Football League)

NBA (National Basketball Association)

MLB (Major League Baseball)

NCAA football (college football)

NCAA basketball (college basketball)

NASCAR (stock car racing)

WWE (professional wrestling)

NHL (National Hockey League)

AFL (Arena Football League)

WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association)

MLS (Major League Soccer)

IRL (Indy Racing League)

On topic, I think NBC really screwed up with the chance to nationally broadcast an awesome game between the US and Canada. It would have been a great way to showcase the sport and gain some marketshare back in the process.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

Ummm ... no, that is the point. ESPN had a chance to match OLN's offer and ESPN didn't. That's the point. NHL and Bettman didn't leave ESPN; ESPN left the NHL.

No, I'm not happy the coverage the NHL receives, and I wasn't happy with ESPN's coverage either. To think that it will be better on a Mickey Mouse network is foolhardy. I do think it's better now than then.

What's funny is I remember hearing a Bodenheimer interview on the radio in February 2007 time frame where he said the NHL should come back to ESPN, clearly faulting the NHL when in fact it was his fault the NHL left. The puck was in his zone. He decided not play it.

Oh and thanks for reminding me about my outdated signature. I have signatures turned off. I had that though for all the ESPN apologists on the board - just in case they forgot that in fact the NHL has the most lucrative contract it could get and it's with Versus.

You keep going back to when ESPN and the NHL initially parted ways. That's not my point -- If you'd like me to make my point more clear I will:

When the NHL/NBC contract is up after 2010/2011 season, the NHL should work out a deal with ESPN. It doesn't matter if they're not offering the same amount of cash, the NHL needs ESPN to become what it once was. How do you expect them to get fans into the game if it's never covered?

Thanks for putting this on here, even if it is Wiki. ^_^ I have a question about the time frame for this current contract. When they say 2010-11, does that refer to this season we're in, or next season? I can never figure that crap out. Thanks to whoever.

If it's this season, does anyone know if ANYthing is in the works with ANYone else? Animal Planet? Nickolodeon? :ph34r:

Thanks for putting this on here, even if it is Wiki. ^_^ I have a question about the time frame for this current contract. When they say 2010-11, does that refer to this season we're in, or next season? I can never figure that crap out. Thanks to whoever.

If it's this season, does anyone know if ANYthing is in the works with ANYone else? Animal Planet? Nickolodeon? :ph34r:

This is the 2009-2010 season. Next season would be the 2010-2011 season, so that's what they're talking about.

In terms of popularity in the US, I don't even think it's close to 4th. I read somewhere that along with the NBA, NFL, and MLB, that NASCAR, and College Football/Basketball all get more viewership than the NHL. I'm sure the s***ty TV contract doesn't help.

Edit:

I hate Wiki as a source, but here you go:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_professio...k_in_popularity

I should have clarified on only professional sports, but that would still leave the NHL 6th (although I would argue that WWE isn't 5th, but that's a whole different topic). Adding further to my point.

I should have clarified on only professional sports, but that would still leave the NHL 6th (although I would argue that WWE isn't 5th, but that's a whole different topic). Adding further to my point.

On a professional sports level I would agree that 5th is probably where the NHL currently is, I don't count WWE either. The NHL probably won't be able to surpass any of the other 4 anytime soon and I think it has a lot to do with the TV deals. Look how much coverage NASCAR gets, I believe they are covered on ABC, FOX, ESPN, and TNT, with ESPN and SPEED having weekly or daily shows for the sport. I would love to be able to watch a nightly 30 min NHL show on ESPN.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears