• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

Brodeur Out, Luongo In!

Rate this topic

As weird as this sounds, Canada needed that game from Mary, this allows the Coaches to go to Luongo, whom should have been the starter, however, starting Luongo over Marty would have got Babs absolutely demolished in the media.

He had no real choice, the best active netminder, top 5 if not 3 of all time.

If he loses with Luongo in net to the American's it is his fault the Canadians lost. Losing with Broduer in net giving the arrogant lack luster play was just the excuse Canada needed to move on to younger goalies like Bobby Lu.

Similar situation to Hasek and Osgood in 08. "You have to give your players an opportunity." Brodeur had his. If Bobby Loo does well then I don't know if Marty gets another.

Exactly what I was thinking. It was more about him being Martin Brodeur than being the right goaltender for the job.

I hope Canadians don't think LoLuongo will lead them to gold. Canada has some of the worst goaltending in the tournament.

Slovakia, Czech Rep, Russia, Sweden, Finland, US, Switzerland and maybe Germany have better goalies than Canada.

Similar situation to Hasek and Osgood in 08. "You have to give your players an opportunity." Brodeur had his. If Bobby Loo does well then I don't know if Marty gets another.

He won't....Babs has already said as much.

That loss to the USA will likely be the last action he ever sees in the Olympics.

As weird as this sounds, Canada needed that game from Mary, this allows the Coaches to go to Luongo, whom should have been the starter, however, starting Luongo over Marty would have got Babs absolutely demolished in the media.

He had no real choice, the best active netminder, top 5 if not 3 of all time.

If he loses with Luongo in net to the American's it is his fault the Canadians lost. Losing with Broduer in net giving the arrogant lack luster play was just the excuse Canada needed to move on to younger goalies like Bobby Lu.

Could not agree more, I'm a huge Brodeur fan and even I thought Luongo was the better choice but as you said he would have been crucified if Luongo had got the start in the USA game and the USA ended up winning, no questions asked...this move gives Canada a better shot at the gold...they will have to beat Russia, Sweden and probably the United States to win it all and if they do than they will certainly have earned it...

I hope Canadians don't think LoLuongo will lead them to gold. Canada has some of the worst goaltending in the tournament.

Slovakia, Czech Rep, Russia, Sweden, Finland, US, Switzerland and maybe Germany have better goalies than Canada.

I'm would remove most of those teams... Sweden, Finland and the Americans have by far the better goaltending, and I would say that if not for Hiller, then the Swiss don't have much backing them up either. Russians would be about on par, mostly because I haven't seen all that much exceptional play from Nabokov (Though Bryzgalov has been the backbone in Phoenix.) Vokoun being better than even Fleury though... not believing that one. I think the biggest problem with the Canadians is that our defence feels average. I forgot Halak from the Slovaks... he's on par with Vokoun from what I've seen, did steal that game against the Russians for sure though. Canada also has the only team with Cup rings in goal... not saying it means much as far as the Olympics go, but is interesting to see that they can win games and now the guy who hasn't is in net.

As much as I'd like to see Canada win a medal, it's not happening unless Louie steals the tournament. So yes, he will lead them to gold IF they win, but it's not looking all that great right now. I picked Sweden, and I still like Sweden - tons of composure, just working together like a machine and a great goaltender.

on a side note, I was thinking about the teams who've made the quarters already... all our Wings players have made it to the quarters, right?

I said it after the USA game "Welcome to the Luongo show Canada!" .... Luongo has paid his dues, and now it's his time to be #1 for Canada.

I saw no way that Babs could go back to Marty after that game, regardless of how much fault lied with Brodeur. If Babs would've went back to Marty and loses, he takes way too much heat, it makes too much sense to go to Luongo and glad see confirmation that its happening. It also works out nice that Luongo gets the opportunity vs Germany to get some game action before, barring a catastrophic collapse, being tossed in vs Russia.

If it is indeed the last time we've seen Marty in a Canadian goal, congrats to him on all that he's accomplished internationally.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

nobodies mentioned grotnes ..the goalie for norway

despite their 3 loses and the amount of pucks let in he hasnt been all that bad...

They could probably put me in net and still beat Germany.

Based on that, shouldn't they give Luongo a break against Germany and then play him the rest of the tournament? No reason to play him in back to back nights, and then three out of four nights.

Based on that, shouldn't they give Luongo a break against Germany and then play him the rest of the tournament? No reason to play him in back to back nights, and then three out of four nights.

He's well rested and I'm sure Babs wants him to get some light action in before tomorrow. He's not going to see a ton of shots today anyway.

I agree, I'd throw Fleury in today...there's no reason to wear out Luongo and who knows, if Fleury looks sharp tonight and against Russia or Sweden Luongo gets off to a slow start (i.e. 2 goals in the first period or something) then you have the option of throwing in a goalie who has seen the ice recently, because as I see it now Brodeur is on the shelf for good

I agree, I'd throw Fleury in today...there's no reason to wear out Luongo and who knows, if Fleury looks sharp tonight and against Russia or Sweden Luongo gets off to a slow start (i.e. 2 goals in the first period or something) then you have the option of throwing in a goalie who has seen the ice recently, because as I see it now Brodeur is on the shelf for good

With a solid lead mid-way through the second or to start the third, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give Fleury some playing time, just in case.

That being said, I defer to my earlier statement, that Babs probably wants Lou to get into game mode instead of being thrown in against arguably their biggest threat to get ousted against.

Luongo shut out the Norwegians something US couldn't do. He didn't have a ton of shots but Norway had quality chances and he stepped up to make some big saves.

Edited by zettie85

Luongo shut out the Norwegians something US couldn't do. He didn't have a ton of shots but Norway had quality chances and he stepped up to make some big saves.

Whoop-de-do! Luongo is a great regular season and meaningless games goalie. He has yet to show me he can step up when the pressure is on.

I hope for Canada's sake that this is when he finally proves me and other doubters wrong and plays on top when it matters the most.

Are you seriously ripping the US for the fact that they gave up only 1 more goal to a team then Canada did, when the US in fact was able to beat Canada?

If you want to brag about Luongo shutting out Norway it doesn't bother me one bit. However, also throwing in a jab at the US after they just beat Canada shows how much you're really grasping at straws.

Whoop-de-do! Luongo is a great regular season and meaningless games goalie. He has yet to show me he can step up when the pressure is on.

I hope for Canada's sake that this is when he finally proves me and other doubters wrong and plays on top when it matters the most.

LOL. he's played on the Panthers for virtually his entire career and has only managed to play in the playoffs the last 2 seasons, is that his fault??? Luongo won the 2004 W C of H for Canada so please stop with this BS about him not being able to play, watch some more canuck games, maybe learn a thing or two, and stop jerking off to posters of lundqvuist and zetterberg that are on your walls.