• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MannyK

Lilja to be Cleared, Will play Monday

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...by_to_have.html

Red Wings' Kirk Maltby to have shoulder surgery; Andreas Lilja ready to play on MondayBy Ansar Khan

February 24, 2010, 3:42PM

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings forward Kirk Maltby said today that he will have shoulder surgery early next week, keeping him out for the remainder of the regular season.

Maltby will be placed on long-term injured serve, solving the club's salary-cap issues. This will enable defenseman Andreas Lilja to be activated. Lilja said he expects to be in the lineup Monday at Colorado, in the first game following the Olympic break.

“It kind of stinks, not how you want to finish a year at any time but when you can’t do certain things and play the way you want to play on a consistent basis, it's something that had to be addressed, whether it was sooner or later,'' Maltby said. "I ended up playing with it all year, so obviously now that the club’s getting a lot healthier, it’s an easier decision to do it now.''

Maltby said he doesn’t know the exact time frame for his recover but is hoping it’s four-to-six weeks. He is hoping to return for the playoffs.

"It’s basically going to come close to the end of the season, if not the end,'' Maltby said. "Hopefully, there’s no surprises when they go in, which I don’t expect there will be, and just take care of business, get it rehabbed as quick as possible and get back into game shape and hopefully be ready to help the team make a run in the playoffs.’’

Lilja said only some paperwork needs to be completed before he is cleared, but team doctors told him that, medically, he is good to go. Monday would be Lilja's first NHL game in one year and one day, since Feb. 28, 2009, when he sustained a concussion on a punch to the chin from Nashville's Shea Weber.

The Red Wings' non-Olympians participated in their first post-break practice at Joe Louis Arena. Everyone not playing in the Olympics skated, including forwards Tomas Holmstrom (knee) and Patrick Eaves (sprained ankle). Eaves said he ready to play on Monday.

I guess it's good news. He was able to play until everybody came back and may be ready to go for the playoffs. I just hope that Lidstrom can get his wrist fixed after hoisting the Cup this year and we can have him back healthy for most of next season.

I guess it's good news. He was able to play until everybody came back and may be ready to go for the playoffs. I just hope that Lidstrom can get his wrist fixed after hoisting the Cup this year and we can have him back healthy for most of next season.

It's his elbow.

This news is kind of ideal. I love Malts, but we really need this cap space and I'm sooo happy that Lilja will be back. For some reason I was under the impression that the surgery would require Maltby to miss the rest of the season and the playoffs. The fact that he could be healthy for the playoffs is great.

we might have possibly seen malts last game..

I can't help but wonder that myself. If so, he scored a goal in a game the wings' won, leaving on a positive note I suppose. I dunno this whole deal kinda stinks, don't get me wrong Maltby's play has rubbed me wrong past couple of seasons but he has played decent this season, and he's been here forever (4 cups=something). I hope that's not the way he goes out, after all these years I feel he deserves better.

Depending on how much roster turnover Kenny think is necessary, I could see Maltby back on a one year deal for around 750k next season as a 12/13th forward. I am sure he will be given the chance to shop around for a better deal, ala D-Mac, but may have the chance if there is room for him.

It's funny how things work for a player on these boards. At one point in time, Lilja was a whipping boy, he gets concussed and doesn't play for a year, and now everyone is pumped up to see him back. Makes me chuckle how reactionary we can all be sometimes.

Depending on how much roster turnover Kenny think is necessary, I could see Maltby back on a one year deal for around 750k next season as a 12/13th forward. I am sure he will be given the chance to shop around for a better deal, ala D-Mac, but may have the chance if there is room for him.

It's funny how things work for a player on these boards. At one point in time, Lilja was a whipping boy, he gets concussed and doesn't play for a year, and now everyone is pumped up to see him back. Makes me chuckle how reactionary we can all be sometimes.

1.) D-Mac is done. He has retired and is now off to other work.

2.) Lils was playing excellent D prior to his injury. Watching Lebda out there has just put salt in the wound. A lot of salt...

Edited by cjm502

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...by_to_have.html

Red Wings' Kirk Maltby to have shoulder surgery; Andreas Lilja ready to play on MondayBy Ansar Khan

February 24, 2010, 3:42PM

The Red Wings' non-Olympians participated in their first post-break practice at Joe Louis Arena. Everyone not playing in the Olympics skated, including forwards Tomas Holmstrom (knee) and Patrick Eaves (sprained ankle). Eaves said he ready to play on Monday.

You beauty! :thumbup: That's what I've been waiting to hear.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

No, you missed what SDWF was saying in that post.

DMac's last year, he was told by the Wings that he was free to seek a contract from other teams and if he didn't find any takers, he could then accept the Wings' offer - which he did.

Here's the MLive quote:

But Holland doesn't expect to hear back from McCarty until September:

"I've offered Darren a contract," Holland said. "It's the same situation (as Downey). He's trying for the best situation."

Holland said he spoke earlier this month with Pat Morris, who is McCarty's agent, and told him to take the month to try and find a one-way deal with someone else.

"We'll still have a two-way offer available at the start of September," Holland said.

from MLIVE

1.) D-Mac is done. He has retired and is now off to other work.

2.) Lils was playing excellent D prior to his injury. Watching Lebda out there has just put salt in the wound. A lot of salt...

Franzen - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Miller - Filppula - Williams

Draper - Helm - Eaves

(Meech)

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Ericsson

(Lebda/Meech)

Howard

Osgood

We better not lose anyone. Our depth is severely lacking. Hopefully these injuries are behind us. (Knock on wood)

Great news, I like Lils but I don't think that he will make a significant difference in the way the Wings play. The only thing that will get them into the playoffs and make a run for the cup is Zetterberg (7.4M) and Datsyuk (6.7M) to start playing like they're being paid to play.

Edited by beepbeep

Great news, I like Lils but I don't think that he will make a significant difference in the way the Wings play. The only thing that will get them into the playoffs and make a run for the cup is Zetterberg (7.4M) and Datsyuk (6.7M) to start playing like they're being paid to play.

I know it makes it seem way more dramatic, but the only number that matters for Zetterberg's salary is his cap hit, which is 6 million. I'm not saying you're wrong, both need to start playing way better, but let's not skew the facts.

Edited by Z and D for the C