• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruys92

Mike Milbury uses 'Eurotrash game' to describe Russian hockey

Rate this topic

http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf/2010/...es_eurotra.html

Moments after Canadian hockey team defeated the Russians 7 to 3 in the Olympic quarter finals, NBC announcer Mike Milbury described the Russian team's effort as a "Eurotrash game."

"I'm was really disappointed that these guys came with their, their Eurotrash game," Milbury said, referring to the Russians. "It was just no heart, no guts, no nothing there to back it up."

"Did you really say Eurotrash? Did that come out of your mouth?" NBC hockey host Bill Patrick asked, as former NHL star Jeremy Roenick sat stunned between the two men with his mouth open.

"I heard it, I heard it," Roenick replied, attempting to bail out the situation by agreeing with Milbury's overall analysis that the Russian team lacked effort in the one-sided loss.

The comment came after a feisty ending to a physical hockey game between the heavily favored Canadian team and the Russians.

How's this for some good ol' NBC late night drama haha. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And JR's reaction!!! :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well there aren't a whole lot of words that could adequately describe how horrible the Russians are at hockey.

Granted that was probably not the best thing to say on a National broadcast in today's age.

Guest Crymson

Milbury is always the only one of the Versus/NBC broadcast team who has the courage to speak his mind. In the finals last season, it was him speaking out against the NHL-given doctrine of 'the Penguins are always right'. Now, it's him speaking the truth about the Russians playing a totally lazy, non-contact style of hockey.

They sucked. They tried to do it all on talent and technical play and not at all on heart, and they failed miserably.

Guest Crymson
Definitely agree the Russians played horrible tonight but to use the term "Eurotrash" to describe their play.. that's crossing some lines I'd like to think.

He was using the term in reference to how they were playing at that point. He was not referring to how they play in general.

He was using the term in reference to how they were playing at that point. He was not referring to how they play in general.

I know how he meant it. But suppose Canada played horrible hockey tonight, is it ok for a European commentator to say they played White trash hockey??

Guest Crymson
I know how he meant it. But suppose Canada played horrible hockey tonight, is it ok for a European commentator to say they played White trash hockey??

I don't think Eurotrash and white trash are equivalent. Do you know what the latter means?

I don't think Eurotrash and white trash are equivalent. Do you know what the latter means?

From my understanding Eurotrash is kind of the opposite of Whitetrash, being wealthy Euro-Americans opposed to poor Caucasian Americans. Nonetheless, it is definitely a derogatory term and shouldn't be used by national media.

Guest Crymson
From my understanding Eurotrash is kind of the opposite of Whitetrash, being wealthy Euro-Americans opposed to poor Caucasian Americans.

That's not it at all.

Mike Milbury attends the "Don Cherry School For Hockey". You know the school where they teach you hockey skills from the 60's and where they dont care that the game has passed you by.

Um. I'm lost. I'm American White Trash and lots of Europeans are also white, so wouldn't Eurotrash just be White Trash from Europe? Unless they didn't happen to be white, of course, in which case they'd be other kinds of trash.

But if Plain Old White Trash (American version) isn't offensive, then why is Eurotrash? It is just telling the place of origin of the trash and differentiating it from the local stuff.

Actually, now that I think about it, do they have White Trash in Canada? I don't remember ever being called that when I lived there, but that was about 40 years ago. If not, what kind of Trash do they have?

If they are European and played like Trash, then Eurotrash would be accurate, no?

Oh- and is Russia actually considered part of Europe? I thought it was Eurasia since it spans both continents. I guess if you are from the Asian part of Russia, Eurotrash would be offensive.

Either way, they lost. Sucks to be them.

that's exactly what the rest of the world don't like about NA. You can't win without trashing. You can't lose without excuses.

This. But you don't have to look further than the players to see that. Getzlaf talking trash to Malkin from the bench. Boyle going after Semin after a clean hit, when Canada is up by 4 goals. Winning with class doesn't exist in North American, mainly Canadian, hockey.

This. But you don't have to look further than the players to see that. Getzlaf talking trash to Malkin from the bench. Boyle going after Semin after a clean hit, when Canada is up by 4 goals. Winning with class doesn't exist in North American, mainly Canadian, hockey.

Leave us people from south of the Canadian border out of this.. I'd say they've been leaps and bounds more classy than the Canadians

Leave us people from south of the Canadian border out of this.. I'd say they've been leaps and bounds more classy than the Canadians

True, I was gonna say that I meant mainly Canada. This US team is very likeable, 'cept for Kane.