• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruys92

Mike Milbury uses 'Eurotrash game' to describe Russian hockey

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut
Funny. I thought this was a about Milbury not Cherry.

wow...

read.

Cherry was brought up to argue that just because it's a US broadcaster on a US network doesn't excuse him for dissing his international audience.

ooohhhh someone finally pulled the cherry card. I was waiting for that one

I would love to say that Cherry doesn't speak for Canada, but sadly, too much of our population still listen to him.

For the most part, Cherry was a blowheart whose stupidity was always offset by Ron MacLean's brilliance and political tact. In recent years though, Cherry has become a SENILE blowheart who has trouble forming a cohesive sentence and Ron MacLean's job now consists of keeping him from drooling on himself. More or less since his wife died, Don has gone on a one way trip to crazyland.

If you can't tell, this particular Canadian despises Don Cherry. However, if you insult Ron MacLean I will punch you in the face! Ron MacLean is the pinnacle of what sports announcers should strive to be and thats the biggest downside to CTV covering the Olympics in place of CBC.

Guest Lidstromboli

i don't think he meant ill, milbury's just a big obnoxious doofus who doesn't really think before he says things. they did play like trash though

my favorite part is the guy that was standing right behind milbury when he said it

i don't think he meant ill, milbury's just a big obnoxious doofus who doesn't really think before he says things. they did play like trash though

my favorite part is the guy that was standing right behind milbury when he said it

Truth of the matter is though, if you had a mic in front of you, how many hours do you think you could go without saying something stupid, inappropriate or down right obscene?

Me, I think I would make it about 17 seconds. No ******* way I would go an hour without an accidental swear word or two coming out, to say nothing of inappropriate religious references....

Thats why I always cut these people a bit of slack.

Edited by Serapth

Guest Lidstromboli

if i had a microphone on national television i would probably go out of my way to say something stupid

Guest Shoreline

Milbury is indeed American. He's also a s***ty ex-coach and is very typical of the media to come out and spout such garbage to gather attention to a crappy network with just as crappy regional coverage. Eurotrash is also a word used in the States, to a near exclusivity, so no Canadian influence in that one -- in fact, Canada shouldn't even be a factor in this. It's just a dumbass American being another dumbass American much akin to the type of Ann Coulter and other xenophobic retards. There's not really any justifying this nor can it be poo-poo'd off into an excuse of context. It was clear what he meant, and I look forward to him now backpedaling off a cliff to try and make politically correct a rather straight forward phrase.

Edited by Shoreline

I love it, people are defending and/or blaming Canadians for what an American said on an American network (I know 5 of you pointed it out before me).

In today's information boom, anything said on TV in any small itty pitty town news cast can be world wide in less time than it took me to type this.

having that piece of information, using any term that is remotely close to a derogatory remark should not be done. The whole Don Imus, Mel Gibson, Chevy Chase and others should have told us that don't say things like that even if you don't think the offended would be in your audience at the current time.

Truth of the matter is though, if you had a mic in front of you, how many hours do you think you could go without saying something stupid, inappropriate or down right obscene?

My, I think I would make it about 17 seconds. No ******* way I would go an hour without an accidental swear word or two coming out, to say nothing of inappropriate religious references....

Thats why I always cut these people a bit of slack.

So true... good point.

Hours? not sure I could make it minutes?

Stupid s*** flows out of my mouth like you could not believe, think when I post I have more control over the dumb s***, and my posts are not exactly always top notch!

But then again I don't get paid for what comes out of my mouth, nor do I get paid the way Millbury does, nor does anyone expect me to be professional most of the time. ( I work from a home office)

I guess my point being the comparison is not valid. If I were a broadcaster like say Doc Emrick, I would answer I go years without making a potentially racist comment.

It was dumb. Was anyone actually offended by it? I know some people are more sensitive than myself to these matters.

What Serapth says is the truth though. I'd make 5 minutes before a "they need to just put the puck in the f***in net" came out.

Also, "xenophobic" is these boards new favorite word.

Let's not get too surprised here folks.....

But let's not forget that Mike Milbury had a chance to draft Ovechkin when he was with the Islanders and passed on him. Probably didn't like his Eurotrash game even then.....

I wonder how that's worked out for the Islanders.....(dang Eurotrash)

:blink:

Lets not get carried away here. Washington picked OV with the 1st overall pick, so NYI never had a chance at him.

Lets not get carried away here. Washington picked OV with the 1st overall pick, so NYI never had a chance at him.

Not to mention Millbury wasn't exactly anti-Euro player. He is after all the GM that signed Yashin to a 10 year 80+mil deal in NY.

Well, ok, maybe Millbury wasn't anti-Euro *until* he signed Yashin.

wow...

read.

Cherry was brought up to argue that just because it's a US broadcaster on a US network doesn't excuse him for dissing his international audience.

I guess Milbury represents American classiness? Is that what you are getting at?

If Cherry represents Canadian classiness then I guess that is what you are saying.

I guess Milbury represents American classiness? Is that what you are getting at?

If Cherry represents Canadian classiness then I guess that is what you are saying.

Nah, pretty much since you guys elected Bush, you haven't really needed a representative... he did a good enough job.

Nah, pretty much since you guys elected Bush, you haven't really needed a representative... he did a good enough job.

We try to keep all political discussion in that forum. Otherwise chaos ensues. You think the Sidney Crosby threads are heated?

EDIT: I don't care either way. Other people definitely do. Not policin', just lookin out.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

We try to keep all political discussion in that forum. Otherwise chaos ensues. You think the Sidney Crosby threads are heated?

Far enough.

Granted though, only about 30% of the population liked Bush.

Only like 2% like Crosby.

What bothers me the most about what Milbury said was the fact he said it during an Olympic event. IMO there should be a litte more respect when people are representing their country to compete. Regardless of how anyone feels how Russia played they don't deserve to be disrespected by calling them "Eurotrash".

I expect that out of discussions in forums and with friends but not broadcasted during the Olympics. I always thought Milbury was a tool now this only confirms how much of an idiot this guy is.

Edited by fixxxer

What bothers me the most about what Milbury said was the fact he said it during an Olympic event. IMO there should be a litte more respect when people are representing their country to compete. Regardless of how anyone feels how Russia played they don't deserve to be disrespected by calling them "Eurotrash".

I think you make a good point here. Olympic events should have respect for all competitors. In this case it's a little different because covering the NHL, he already knew all these players well. But the Olympics is more than medalling and money.

I'm glad a few people are honest enough to realize that we all say stupid s*** from time to time. People need to lighten up and stop being so damn touchy. I think Mike Milbury's a f***stick for many reasons, but I don't care that he said "Eurotrash." Sure, fine, whatever...I'm sure the Russians have some choice words for us and so on and so on...who gives a s***?!? Seriously, anyone upset needs to lighten up, and anyone wanting to throw him under the bus for it just because they don't like him need to find more important things to think about.

I guess if we're going to get mad at Milbury for anything, we might as well be mad at the fact that he's allowed to express his opinion on national tv when he has this kind of a track record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Milbury

Milbury has also been criticized for the many decisions he made in which payroll or orders for upper management were not factors. Many young players and prospects that Milbury traded away went on to have distinguished careers, often eclipsing those of the players he received in return. He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goalies Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Tim Connolly, and Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade.