• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Serapth

Canada vs USA - Women's Gold medal game - 6:30 EST

Rate this topic

To me the issue isnt THAT they did it... It's WHERE they did it. They have private rooms where all the athletes can go.

It was a International Competition and your the host country. Lead by Example?

On the ice makes it a public display, and I think that is where it's a "controversy"

DING DING DING.... we have a winner.

everyone is comparing them to the men...well when is the last time you seen the men do thatkind of display ON the ice. Its always in the back rooms locker rooms and such. there is no excuse for it. i would try and defend the USA team the same way but i would still feel somewhat embarrassed.

To me the issue isnt THAT they did it... It's WHERE they did it. They have private rooms where all the athletes can go.

It was a International Competition and your the host country. Lead by Example?

On the ice makes it a public display, and I think that is where it's a "controversy"

I haven't read through all of this so I don't know if its been stated before, but the arena was empty of everyone but the team and their family members and the cleaning staff when they came on the ice and did that. Its not like they came out right after the other teams were off the ice and started, they were celebrating in their locker room and when they learned the arena was clear they came out and started to skate around and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I haven't read through all of this so I don't know if its been stated before, but the arena was empty of everyone but the team and their family members and the cleaning staff when they came on the ice and did that. Its not like they came out right after the other teams were off the ice and started, they were celebrating in their locker room and when they learned the arena was clear they came out and started to skate around and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Nobody there??? How did I get this picture then?

post-6371-1267223643.jpg

There are pictures..... So Id say Media was there too... Bottom Line...take it to a "Private Room"... if it happend in the locker room....nobody gives a canadian crap!

Thats why this is even talked about... Media had to be there and you know they are gonna report it. and this is a WORLD WIDE EVENT.

I understand celebration.... I understand going back out there to do so..... But you have to police yourself. If there is one single camera, your gonna have your picture taken.

Nobody there??? How did I get this picture then?

post-6371-1267223643.jpg

There are pictures..... So Id say Media was there too... Bottom Line...take it to a "Private Room"... if it happend in the locker room....nobody gives a canadian crap!

Thats why this is even talked about... Media had to be there and you know they are gonna report it. and this is a WORLD WIDE EVENT.

I understand celebration.... I understand going back out there to do so..... But you have to police yourself. If there is one single camera, your gonna have your picture taken.

Lighten up. That's all I can say. Why does everyone have to be on their absolute best behavior all the time. God. A North America full of robots. The Canadian players themselves don't give two s***s what the IOC says anyways so who cares.

Who cares if they did it? In front of media or not. The one girl was under age. Underage drinking is hardly a problem. The media blows everything up, then people blame the players for having their picture taken.

Edited by zettie85

The Canadian players themselves don't give two s***s what the IOC says anyways so who cares.

Does anyone really care what the IOC has to say?

That said, im kinda staggered to see elite athletes smoking cigars, I thought smoking made you a pariah these days, triply so among the athletic crowd.

Said as an ex-smoker who remembers what sanctimonious pricks non-smoking health nuts could be.

I'm going to hold to form and say that: I 'personally' think Molsen in cans and cigars is an awesome way to celebrate a gold medal on home soil ...er ather frozen pond. If some body want's to fine them for giving an 18 year old a beer, then they are a jackass. The tournament (woman's) is over and the floors are being swept. The time is then to relish the moment on 'the top' of the mountain, not hiding in a hotel room. If the IOC can't recognize the magnitude of the human moment for it's participants, then it is a jackass too.

Lighten up. That's all I can say. Why does everyone have to be on their absolute best behavior all the time. God. A North America full of robots. The Canadian players themselves don't give two s***s what the IOC says anyways so who cares.

Who cares if they did it? In front of media or not. The one girl was under age. Underage drinking is hardly a problem. The media blows everything up, then people blame the players for having their picture taken.

Honestly.. I don't care what they did.... But in front of the cameras is gonna ask for scrutiny.

Don't tell me that the Media takes pictures for the team to make a scrap book....

and No they don't have to be on their best behavior.... when behind closed doors.

Im not making a issue out of it.. I don't care. This is being made a news story because of these pictures...that's THEE only reason it was even brought up and in the news,

Pictures.

Howie? Is that you? I ask this because this reaction was pretty over-blown, ya know?

Anyway, here's my response to your "by-god-hookers-are-here-in droves-anyway-and-it's-all-their-fault-so-we-can-say-whatever-we-want-about-them-whenever-we-want" tirade. You boys have pretty much control of this board for approximately 364 days out of the year and that includes those who control this board. You outnumber women responders here maybe at least 15 to 1? (That's obviously a sheer guess.) And yeah, I understand it's a sports board that deals mostly with men's hockey. And you know what? In spite of those odds, I have lots of fun on this board and seldom have any problem with most of the guy-responders here. Most are bright and witty and I indeed, learn a lot from them. And the vast majority of you guys are kind and sensitive. And most of you even know that sometimes you understand you might want to moderate your comments. NOT just because there are some women who show up here, but because it's just.the.overall.class.thing.to.do.and.you.look.cool.doing.it. :)

But then comes the Olympics and every four years, the women hockey players get to shine - after working their asses off to get where they are. Many of them have husbands and families. And after working their asses off - win or lose - they go back to NOTHING sports-wise. The men can go back to their respective teams, whether they be NHL or whatever. And yes, that's the women's choice.

What I wanted and hoped to think is that at least every four years, you all can show some class and sensitivity to the gigantic effort they put forth and if you don't like women's hockey, fine. But at least show some perspective and give them credit for what they've accomplished?

I really know now it is simply not possible because there's always someone or some people/guys who do not see it this way. They think that humor and timing should have priority over anything else in spite of the real situation.

But it's over now for another four years. The women will all head home and do their thing, whatever that might be. But the fact remains that I will always be damn proud of ALL of them and what they've accomplished on every level. And for those of you who simply chose not to see them for who they really are, I feel bad for you but that doesn't mean I have to pay attention to whatever you say from here on.

I do show them respect. I watched the Women's games whenever they were on. i watched the gold medal game twice. I bet I could name more women players off this team off the top of my head than you could. I bet I could name more women's players off the top of my head from the 1998 team off the top of my head than just about everyone here (not gonna do it, cause anyone could just look it up....but I really could)

The point is, they're women. Tough. They're gonna get made fun of in life. Women are going to get ripped on especially when the obvious stereotypical set up line is there, because it's funny. Guees what? black people get made fun of too. And so do Mexicans, and so do Asians. My sister Married an American, and when we go over there, if there's a set up for a Canadian joke, they'll take it. If it's funny, everyone laughs. White male Canadians get made fun of. If there's an american joke up for grabs, you can be sure I'm taking it. And guess what? if it's funny, everyone laughs. White american Males get made fun of too. There's two ways you can react to it. Throw a fit, get in people's faces about insensitivity, and making fun of others and ruin everyone's good time....Or not take yourself so seriously and laugh. amybe it wasn't funny to you. If I hear a joke about Canadians in Igloos, I don't think it's funny. I've heard it a million times. It's not original, it's not accurate, and not funny. If there was a nice set up to where somone could throw a funny Canadians in igloos joke, and the timing of the joke is there, and the creativity is there.....guess what, I'm going to appreciate it, rather than start telling the joke teller all the great things about canada, and the climate here in Windsor is actually warmer than a decent percentage of the US, and get all bothered by the fact that he is saying all canadians live in Igloos, and he should show some decency and respect for People that build and work on houses up in Canada. I do heating and cooling for a living, and I could choose to be offended that my job is being overlooked.

"Really? they have heating and cooling in Canada? I could understand the Cooling, But wouldn't a Furnace melt your igloos?"

If someone came up with that on the spot, I'd think it was pretty good. I wouldn't say "you know, I work hard for a living. I wake up early in the morning, and I go to work so I can provide for my 2 year old little girl. I lift heavy things up stairs, I do dirty jobs, there are Families who, in the middle of the winter, their Furnace breaks down, and I go and provide them with heat, so 90 year old women and infant children don't have to sleep in sub zero temperatures, get sick and die. You'd think when I'm around, you could show a little class, if not for my sake, but for the sake of being a civilized dignified person."

I could take it that way, but If I did, I'd come across as a pretty big ****** bag, and a lot of people probably wouldn't like me.

But, for some reason, in today's world, the person that chooses to be offended is always in the right, and the person that's just trying to have some fun is villified and is supposed to feel guilt and shame.

Sorry, I'm against the Pussification of North America. I think people in General should grow a thicker skin, and let a person tell a joke without having to feel the need to be the morality police and make an issue out of it. If you want people to be on your side, just take what anybody says, and then claim to be offended by the sub meaning of what he said, and their insensitivity personally angers you. You'll never be in the wrong.

To me, that's wrong.

So, If I've offended anybody here, Tough. That's my view and I should be able to explain it with logic, and speak with Honesty. I shouldn't have to feel any guilt or shame from my true feelings.

The Canadian women propbably could have handled it better in hindsight but no doubt they saw all the fans had left and they thought they had the place to themselves. That being said the real thing that makes me dislike the Canadian's women's team was back in Salt Lake City where they invented the story that the US women had taped a Canadian flag to the floor in their dressing room and were wiping their feet on it and spitting on it. All made up but Don Cherry and some on CBC ran with it to trash the US team. That was a sad ploy.

The Canadian women propbably could have handled it better in hindsight but no doubt they saw all the fans had left and they thought they had the place to themselves. That being said the real thing that makes me dislike the Canadian's women's team was back in Salt Lake City where they invented the story that the US women had taped a Canadian flag to the floor in their dressing room and were wiping their feet on it and spitting on it. All made up but Don Cherry and some on CBC ran with it to trash the US team. That was a sad ploy.

Made up? Source?

If the USA team won and did this there would be a massive s*** storm about Americans being arrogant, stuck up, bla bla bla...

Bah, not in Canada.

The headlines would read " American celebration confirms, even Americans think American beer tastes like piss! Olympians drink Canadian"

Ironically, I can actually see a few papers running that story.

I do show them respect. I watched the Women's games whenever they were on. i watched the gold medal game twice. I bet I could name more women players off this team off the top of my head than you could. I bet I could name more women's players off the top of my head from the 1998 team off the top of my head than just about everyone here (not gonna do it, cause anyone could just look it up....but I really could)

The point is, they're women. Tough. They're gonna get made fun of in life. Women are going to get ripped on especially when the obvious stereotypical set up line is there, because it's funny. Guees what? black people get made fun of too. And so do Mexicans, and so do Asians. My sister Married an American, and when we go over there, if there's a set up for a Canadian joke, they'll take it. If it's funny, everyone laughs. White male Canadians get made fun of. If there's an american joke up for grabs, you can be sure I'm taking it. And guess what? if it's funny, everyone laughs. White american Males get made fun of too. There's two ways you can react to it. Throw a fit, get in people's faces about insensitivity, and making fun of others and ruin everyone's good time....Or not take yourself so seriously and laugh. amybe it wasn't funny to you. If I hear a joke about Canadians in Igloos, I don't think it's funny. I've heard it a million times. It's not original, it's not accurate, and not funny. If there was a nice set up to where somone could throw a funny Canadians in igloos joke, and the timing of the joke is there, and the creativity is there.....guess what, I'm going to appreciate it, rather than start telling the joke teller all the great things about canada, and the climate here in Windsor is actually warmer than a decent percentage of the US, and get all bothered by the fact that he is saying all canadians live in Igloos, and he should show some decency and respect for People that build and work on houses up in Canada. I do heating and cooling for a living, and I could choose to be offended that my job is being overlooked.

"Really? they have heating and cooling in Canada? I could understand the Cooling, But wouldn't a Furnace melt your igloos?"

If someone came up with that on the spot, I'd think it was pretty good. I wouldn't say "you know, I work hard for a living. I wake up early in the morning, and I go to work so I can provide for my 2 year old little girl. I lift heavy things up stairs, I do dirty jobs, there are Families who, in the middle of the winter, their Furnace breaks down, and I go and provide them with heat, so 90 year old women and infant children don't have to sleep in sub zero temperatures, get sick and die. You'd think when I'm around, you could show a little class, if not for my sake, but for the sake of being a civilized dignified person."

I could take it that way, but If I did, I'd come across as a pretty big ****** bag, and a lot of people probably wouldn't like me.

But, for some reason, in today's world, the person that chooses to be offended is always in the right, and the person that's just trying to have some fun is villified and is supposed to feel guilt and shame.

Sorry, I'm against the Pussification of North America. I think people in General should grow a thicker skin, and let a person tell a joke without having to feel the need to be the morality police and make an issue out of it. If you want people to be on your side, just take what anybody says, and then claim to be offended by the sub meaning of what he said, and their insensitivity personally angers you. You'll never be in the wrong.

To me, that's wrong.

So, If I've offended anybody here, Tough. That's my view and I should be able to explain it with logic, and speak with Honesty. I shouldn't have to feel any guilt or shame from my true feelings.

I wonder if people will be offended by hearing the truth? Probably.

Edited by zettie85

I'm going to hold to form and say that: I 'personally' think Molsen in cans and cigars is an awesome way to celebrate a gold medal on home soil ...er ather frozen pond. If some body want's to fine them for giving an 18 year old a beer, then they are a jackass. The tournament (woman's) is over and the floors are being swept. The time is then to relish the moment on 'the top' of the mountain, not hiding in a hotel room. If the IOC can't recognize the magnitude of the human moment for it's participants, then it is a jackass too.

:siren: Bingo.

This world has gotten so sanitized with what a person can or cannot do, wtf, man.

After our last high school football game, a few of us close friends did the same exact thing, minus the stogies. We'd been playing football together for 9 seasons. A couple of the under classman joined us. Still in our uni's, we went back out onto the field and drank beer. Couple guys thru the ball around, but mostly we sat or layed on the turf looking up at the sky and the lights talking about games and practices and whatnot. Mr Weber, the janitor left the lights on for a long time. We knew we'd never be back playing ball on our field again. We didn't get rowdy or anything, it was just really reflective and realized that one of the things most important to us was done and over for ever. We didn't want to leave our field yet. We still talk about that night when we talk to each other.

It's too bad the people that took those pics couldn't have realized what a priveledge it was to see and share the moment with the Canadian Team. I think it was awesome. It was a once in a lifetime moment for those girls; one of the biggest moments of their lives. They made history for f***sakes. They're names will live on forever. Of course they'd want to celebrate like that.

Edited by T.Low

:siren: Bingo.

This world has gotten so sanitized with what a person can or cannot do, wtf, man.

After our last high school football game, a few of us close friends did the same exact thing, minus the stogies. We'd been playing football together for 9 seasons. A couple of the under classman joined us. Still in our uni's, we went back out onto the field and drank beer. Couple guys thru the ball around, but mostly we sat or layed on the turf looking up at the sky and the lights talking about games and practices and whatnot. Mr Weber, the janitor left the lights on for a long time. We knew we'd never be back playing ball on our field again. We didn't get rowdy or anything, it was just really reflective and realized that one of the things most important to us was done and over for ever. We didn't want to leave our field yet. We still talk about that night when we talk to each other.

It's too bad the people that took those pics couldn't have realized what a priveledge it was to see and share the moment with the Canadian Team. I think it was awesome. It was a once in a lifetime moment for those girls; one of the biggest moments of their lives. They made history for f***sakes. They're names will live on forever. Of course they'd want to celebrate like that.

I only read a little ways in.....did you say 9 seasons of HS football? lol I'm sure I'm not getting the actual meaning of it but I thought it was funny.

I only read a little ways in.....did you say 9 seasons of HS football? lol I'm sure I'm not getting the actual meaning of it but I thought it was funny.

Dude, that is kinda funny. :blink:

But what I meant was that some of us actually played organized football together since 4rd grade (Canadian translation: Grade 4)

Yeah, nobody ever reads my enitre post, I know, I bore you guys. :rolleyes:

Glad you atleast got a chuckle out of it.

After our last high school football game, a few of us close friends did the same exact thing, minus the stogies. We'd been playing football together for 9 seasons.

... you took a long time to finish High School.... :D

EDIT: DAMNIT, I need to read to the bottom before hitting reply! :(

Edited by Serapth

Dude, that is kinda funny. :blink:

But what I meant was that some of us actually played organized football together since 4rd grade (Canadian translation: Grade 4)

Yeah, nobody ever reads my enitre post, I know, I bore you guys. :rolleyes:

Glad you atleast got a chuckle out of it.

Don't worry I continued to read it after I posted. :hehe:

Edited by zettie85