Rate this topic

Men's Semifinal #1 -- 3:00 PM ET

United States

usa_large.png

vs

Finland

fin_large.png

Live Stream

VANCOUVER (AP) -- The forward lines ran drills in different colored jerseys. The coaches diagrammed plays on a white board. The players jostled and cracked smiles.

Nothing about this practice suggested that the U.S. men's hockey team was just two wins from a most improbable gold medal.

The Americans meet Finland in a semifinal Friday, and some thoughts are starting to creep in about what could be in store if this unbeaten team keeps winning.

"That's only natural," said defenseman Brooks Orpik, a Stanley Cup champion with Pittsburgh last season. "If you're not thinking about that, then I think you're lying. I think that's good to kind of look ahead. You have to set your goals high, but at the same time not overlooking the game you have."

While few expected the U.S. to make such a deep run in this tournament filled with teams loaded with NHL talent, the same argument could be made for the Finns even though they captured the silver medal at the 2006 Turin Games.

Continued Here

Men's Semifinal #2 -- 9:30 PM ET

Canada

can_large.png

vs

Slovakia

svk_large.png

Stream Upcoming

What to watch -- Canada was expected to be in this game; Slovakia was not.

The Slovaks entered this tournament as underdogs in their pool, which also included Russia and the Czech Republic. Marian Gaborik, Marian Hossa and Miroslav Satan came to Vancouver with nagging injuries. Yet here are the Slovaks, in the medal round for the first time and just one win away from the gold medal game. They've already penned an incredible story are these Olympics. If they beat Canada, it would be like a bad fiction writer went far too deep into dreamland.

On the other hand, the Slovaks represent just another hurdle for the Canadian machine, which steamrolled Russia in what supposed to be the tournament's dream matchup. Canada has been getting better with each game -- and after a 7-3 shellacking of the Russians it found an identity, too.

Continued Here

LOL, what timing.

Mine's prettier.... plus, my times are right. :)

Oh sure.... ninja edits to fix the times and flags added... where did you get the flag idea.... hmmmmm.... hmmmmm?

( /s for those that don't realize it )

Edited by Serapth

direct link to the nbc stream like last time, please! not everyone subscribes to a "partner" of nbc.

The direct link to the stream won't be available until 3:00 ET. I'll post it then.

LOL, what timing.

Mine's prettier.... plus, my times are right. :)

Oh sure.... ninja edits to fix the times and flags added... where did you get the flag idea.... hmmmmm.... hmmmmm?

( /s for those that don't realize it )

No worries, my flags look better than yours anyway. :P

If for whatever reason the NBC feed is bad, or you just like Canadian hockey coverage better, you can generally use a program called "Modify Headers" that plugs in to Firefox and allows you to fake where you are coming from. The same should work for Canadians that for some unfathomable reason, want to watch NBC hockey coverage. It works for most TV sites, but not all ( for example Hulu ).

If however, that still doesnt work and you want to watch TV in another country ( or want to watch NetFlix or Hulu from Canada ), you need to run a VPN like hotspot, which is completely free, mostly safe and a lot of annoying.

Well, that concludes todays public service announcements.

NOTE: Live Stream now Available!

Feed will be coming soon.

I want a USA/Canada rematch so badly. It would be one for the ages.

You think? I'm not so sure it would be. I'm fairly sure Canada learned its lesson and would take care of business should the rematch arise.

Make no mistake, I 100% hope I'm wrong!

Despite their penchant for upsets, I have a feeling Slovakia is going to be handled easily by Canada. USA-Finland on the other hand is probably going to be another nail-biter, oh boy. I hope the situations end up being reversed, though. :patriot:

Yeah, I think Slovakia is going to just get rolled over, especially if Canada keeps the momentum they had from the Russia game. Unless of course Canada runs into a super hot goalie, who manages to keep them off the board for a period or two or if the Canadians have been reading the papers and let the press go to their heads, Canada should roll over Slovakia. Of the 4 teams remaining, they are easily the weakest.

Finland has just enough offense and you wings fans obviously know what Kippy can do... I would be scared based on Kippy alone. He has the ability to completely own a game and Finland easily has enough offence to get one or two past Miller. I think the FIN-USA game will be the most exciting of the two.