• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWings

Did Crosby earn your respect?

Rate this topic

(Regarding Ovechkin's performance during the Capitals 6-3 win against the Penguins on January 21)

"You've seen Ovi this year....Did you notice anything different about his game or was it pretty typical Ovechkin?"

"No, I think it's pretty typical he drives hard, he shoots the puck, I think he always could make plays I don't think anyone ever doubted that...he's dangerous when he is out there."

Man, never gives other players credit.

This quote earned my respect

My hat goes off to Brian Burke, Ron Wilson and the USA team. What a tremendous team they put together, a young team, and they were fantastic. We feel very fortunate to have won the gold.

The quote is from Ken Holland.

You will never hear anything like that from Syd. Until he grows up if he ever does.

THAT is why I don't like him.

This sums it up for me too. No way I'm going to argue his ability and passion for the game, he's displayed both consistently throughout his career. But it takes more than traits like those to garner my repsect for somebody being paid millions to play a game. I realize he is only what? 22 years old right now? So maybe the humility and maturity that Holland displayed above will take a few more years to develop in Crosby.

As far as the diving and whining, I think a lot of that has already tapered off since his rookie campaign he completed as teenager entering the league with the most attention and hype in years...

In short, I respect his ability, but to put him in the same category as say Yzerman or Sakic, not by a long shot. At least not yet.

Crosby is a helluva talent and I still dislike him. But it's not just Wings' fans who don't "appreciate" him. I'm guessing you'd find a pretty wide range of hockey fans, at least in the USA, who are sick to death of him because of the media and NHL hype.

The ironic thing here is that in TV especially, if a celebrity/actor is hyped too much they actually disappear over time beCAUSE everyone's sick of reading about them/seeing them. Or because they have really strong personalities (ala Jim Carrey). Not with Sydney though. He will around for a long time and I am just not ready for that. Don't have a clue what to do about it since I can't ignore him, but when he won in OT I did almost literally puke because it will be ad nauseum probably till he retires or gets seriously injured.

Guest micah

Wait - there are Red Wings fans who disapprove of Crosby because he dives? Seriously?

Edited by micah

Don't have a clue what to do about it since I can't ignore him, but when he won in OT I did almost literally puke because it will be ad nauseum probably till he retires or gets seriously injured.
LOL, this made me think of the Gold Medal ceremony following the game Sunday. As a fan, I wanted to watch ALL the players of both teams receive their medals, watch everybody's reactions during the anthem, etc. However, it was INSANE how much the camera was on Sidney vs the rest of TEAM CANADA that just won the (team sport) game. I was actually consciously trying to ignore Crosby during the coverage to the point where I was watching Rick Nash's shoulder that was imposing on Sid's shot or looking away from the tv completely instead of seeing a closeup of Sid for the 30th time in 20 seconds. Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Guest micah
pfffffffffff! no! He got lucky.

Totally. Over and over again.

Edited by micah

No. Great player, great talent....I'll give him that for sure. So he's had my respect from day one.

Just not the type of player (in regards to character) and person off the ice that I can really support and cheer for. Kind of a tool.

No. I dislike him at times because despite his talent and domination at times, he comes across like an arrogant and whiney boy at times like expalined above, and that he gets way too much attention when there are other good players in the league as well, and the attetnion he gets from outlets, people completely igonre his questionable traits.

Not jealousy at all.

This has been explained to you countless numbers of times, and you still do not get it or purposefully ignore this.

Try harder next time, or if believing that makes you sleep easier at night, knock yourself out.

You should have just posted this as a rebuttal to everything he's said:

foghorn.jpg

Just to throw in my two cents here - To me, Crosby is the new Patrick Roy. No matter how successful, how talented, how valuable to their teams and to hockey they are, I hate them and everything they stand for and I'm not sure there is anything they could say or do to change that.

:hysterical: Ya, invisible the entire tourney and he is in the right place at the right time!!! That's like saying McCarty was all-world for his goal against Philly waaaaay back in 1997...

He'll earn my respect when you stops diving, whining, crying, bitching, moaning, smacking his lips when he interviews and actually outplays REAL stars in the NHL. I would Choose Malkin or Staal ocver him ANYDAY!

Edited by LeftWinger

Actually, Crosby is very similar in many ways to Yzerman when Yzerman broke into the league. I know many of you aren't old enough to remember those days, but he was touted as the next greatest thing to save hockey, the golden boy to break Gretzkys records and was the face of hockey, like it or not. I remember seeing Yzermans face plastered on just about every fast food container you could buy and frankly, it took a few years for Yzerman to mature. I have nothing but the highest respect for Yzerman now, but I sure didn't when he debuted. Thing is, Yzerman has almost 20 years more experience at this point than Crosby.

I am no Crosby fan, but I think he did an admirable job couping with an unrealistic level of pressure put on his shoulders by the likes of Hockey Canada and Gary Butthead.

:hysterical: Ya, invisible the entire tourney and he is in the right place at the right time!!! That's like saying McCarty was all-world for his goal against Philly waaaaay back in 1997...

He'll earn my respect when you stops diving, whining, crying, bitching, moaning, smacking his lips when he interviews and actually outplays REAL stars in the NHL. I would Choose Malkin or Staal ocver him ANYDAY!

Are you seriously implying that Crosby's success is simply a matter of luck and being at the right place at the right time and that he hasn't faced real competition?

If this is the case, you really are letting your hatred delude you. Say what you will, but you can't lead a team to the Stanley cup and then win Olympic gold, not to mention the scoring title, without more than a small bit of talent.

Frankly, you just sound kinda dumb, especially trying to draw parallels between McCarty and Crosby!

Oh, and for the record, I still dislike Crosby and I dislike the attention Crosby has received and this game winning goal sure isn't going to make things better.

That said, I don't kid myself that he isn't one of the top 10, probably top 5 hockey players in the world.

I just thank dog that Miller got MVP and not him, that would have made me puke a bit in my mouth.

Edited by Serapth

Are you seriously implying that Crosby's success is simply a matter of luck and being at the right place at the right time and that he hasn't faced real competition?

If this is the case, you really are letting your hatred delude you. Say what you will, but you can't lead a team to the Stanley cup and then win Olympic gold, not to mention the scoring title, without more than a small bit of talent.

Frankly, you just sound kinda dumb, especially trying to draw parallels between McCarty and Crosby!

The question was, did Crysby's game winning goal all of a sudden earn my respect for him as a player. NO, Hell NO... First of all he did not LEAD a team to the Stanley Cup, if anyone (other than Bettman) did, Malkin did. He was virtually non-exsistant in that game and most of the tourney and was in the right place and the right time to score the game winner. Nothing he did in that tourney made me change my mind about him, he still is too big of a prissy, crybaby, diving idiot to earn my respect. Until he changes that in his game, then he gets none from me. And oh, wiping his nose then shaking hands with the USA in the first game, thats VERY respectable.... He's a ****** whom Canada should be ashamed of. Cannot wait until the amateurs get back into this tourney.....

I do not share the blind hatred that some on this board display, but the answer to the OP question is a resounding NO, scoring the GWG in OT in the gold-medal game does little if anything to improve his image in my eyes. Is he a talented hockey player? Yes, no one can rationally deny that. Does he receive a lot of media attention? Yes, again no one can rationally argue that. Has he earned the amount of attention he receives? Not yet IMO, but winning the Cup and now the Gold go a long way in that respect. Does he display a lack of humility and respect for his opponents at times? Yes, many here can give specific examples, and while that is not the only reason I dislike him, it is one of the biggest.

That being said, I do not dislike him any more or less than other players who have similar attitudes, and I doubt anything will change that, but I am not jaded or deluded enough to actually think he is not one of the best players of his generation and may go down in history as one of the greatest of all time, but that does not mean I have to like him, nor do I expect others to agree or disagree with me, this is the internet and everyone has an opinion.

I would love crosby if he stopped the whining on&off the ice and stopped being so boring and predictable with the media.. come on lad say something out of the ordinary! just once please... and why does he live with Lemieux when he's 22 and makes almost 9million per year?

Maybe he is Mario's pet twink?

One goal won't change my perception, no matter the situation. And it didn't help that the camera was on him permanently from when that goal was scored for the next 30 minutes.

That is a different conversation... I mean, I don't think you will find someone that doesnt think there was too much coverage of Crosby ( and Ovechkin ). But, you can't blame a player for that.