• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWings

Did Crosby earn your respect?

Rate this topic

:hysterical: Ya, invisible the entire tourney and he is in the right place at the right time!!! That's like saying McCarty was all-world for his goal against Philly waaaaay back in 1997...

He'll earn my respect when you stops diving, whining, crying, bitching, moaning, smacking his lips when he interviews and actually outplays REAL stars in the NHL. I would Choose Malkin or Staal ocver him ANYDAY!

Eric Staal? Please tell me why...

Guest micah
Actually, Crosby is very similar in many ways to Yzerman when Yzerman broke into the league. I know many of you aren't old enough to remember those days, but he was touted as the next greatest thing to save hockey, the golden boy to break Gretzkys records and was the face of hockey, like it or not. I remember seeing Yzermans face plastered on just about every fast food container you could buy and frankly, it took a few years for Yzerman to mature. I have nothing but the highest respect for Yzerman now, but I sure didn't when he debuted. Thing is, Yzerman has almost 20 years more experience at this point than Crosby.

Me too. I'm old enough to remember Yerman being a crappy captain (but without all of the potential of a Crosby). The kid is 22. I remember how I was at 22 - Sid seems to be a better person and he can play pretty good hockey:)

Pretty much this. The OP said himself, the little bastard was invisible most of the tournament. He was in the right place at the right time, lucky as f***. Canada didn't win because of Sidney Crosby, he was the last one of the scoresheet, it really could have been anyone.

I hate that either way, if Canada won it was going to be about Crosby, this couldn't have made it any worse. Like after Pitt won the cup, you didn't hear about Conn Smythe winner Malkin or Maxime Talbot, it was the Sidney Crosby show. You honestly think this was going to make people love the biggest whiny brat in the league?

Half of the problem with Sid is the exposure to the point of nausea, now it's only going to get worse.

Ditto. Cannot believe he scored the winner. Murphy's Law strikes again. Edited by ZataforCaptain

Eric Staal? Please tell me why...

No Jordan Staal, because he is a better two-way player, actually hits, doesn't whine or cry, and was one of the ONLY Penguins that I enjoyed watching last Finals. Oh BTW, he and Hossa were the only Pens to not complain about obstruction in 2008 as well...

Crysby may be the poster boy for that team, but Malkin and Staal are the work horses behind it. Much like Obama, poster boy, but doesn't run crap, there are far smarter minds behind running the free world...

Guest micah
No Jordan Staal, because he is a better two-way player, actually hits, doesn't whine or cry, and was one of the ONLY Penguins that I enjoyed watching last Finals. Oh BTW, he and Hossa were the only Pens to not complain about obstruction in 2008 as well...

Steve Yzerman says that Crosby is the best player on the team. You say otherwise. I can't decide who to believe.

Steve Yzerman says that Crosby is the best player on the team. You say otherwise. I can't decide who to believe.

Not only Yzerman, but look at this gem I've found.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060/1039404-123.stm

Ryan Getzlaf.

"That's Sid for you," Canada forward Ryan Getzlaf said. "There's a reason he's the best player in the world. He always shows up in those big moments and scores those big goals."

Crysby may be the poster boy for that team, but Malkin and Staal are the work horses behind it. Much like Obama, poster boy, but doesn't run crap, there are far smarter minds behind running the free world...

:lol:

Thank you for the laugh.

Actually, Crosby is very similar in many ways to Yzerman when Yzerman broke into the league. I know many of you aren't old enough to remember those days, but he was touted as the next greatest thing to save hockey, the golden boy to break Gretzkys records and was the face of hockey, like it or not. I remember seeing Yzermans face plastered on just about every fast food container you could buy and frankly, it took a few years for Yzerman to mature. I have nothing but the highest respect for Yzerman now, but I sure didn't when he debuted. Thing is, Yzerman has almost 20 years more experience at this point than Crosby.

I am no Crosby fan, but I think he did an admirable job couping with an unrealistic level of pressure put on his shoulders by the likes of Hockey Canada and Gary Butthead.

WTF? Yzerman was NEVER touted to be the next greatest thing to save hockey, EVER. He was a after thought draft pick when LaFontaine was taken by the Islanders. If he was supposed to be the next Gretzky, he would've gone first overall instead of Brian Lawton. Crysby has played in a post lock-out, no obstruction era of Hockey, along with some pretty great talent on his team. Who did Yzerman have on his team when he was scoring 60 goals? Exactly! Gerard Gallant was the next best player. Plus Yzerman played in whole different NHL along with the two greatest players to ever play the game in Gretzky and Lemeiux. Even while being "Number 3 With A Bullet" (that's for those of you who remember the SI article) he was NEVER touted to be anything better than #3. The first time you ever heard "The Next One" is when Eric Lindros was drafted. Then you heard, Fedorov, the Russian Greatzky, Selanne, the Finnish Gretzky, etc, etc...

Took how many years for Yzerman to mature? Yzerman was tearing up the league until his neck injury in 1994 (the year Fedorov won Hart and Selke) and was nearly traded to Ottawa in that off season by Bowman. Bowman took him aside after Ilitch nixt that trade and told him you have one more chance to play my way or its the highway, that is when he became a Selke-Type player.

You said you didn't have respect for him when he debuted, but at the time, there wasn't much respect for the Wings all-together. You look at their number 1 picks for the previous few years and couple that along with their continuous ineptness, there was no reason to think another high draft pick was going to change that. But, me being old enough to remember Steve when he first played here, he may not have scored over 100 points as a rookie (although 87 wasn't too bad for that era) GURANTEE he didn't dive, whine and cray as much as the Golden Boy did in his first couple of season's. Comparing Crysby to Yzerman is like comparing Gretzky to Howe, two different types of NHL, I would LOVE to see a 22 year old Gretzky, Lemeiux or Yzerman in today's NHL, you be saying Crysby who?

If and when Crysby passes Yzerman in points and awards and Stanley Cups, then MAYBE we can talk about comparisons, but still put Crysby in the league circa 1988 and he isn't half the player he is in todays NHL.

This is what I don't get.

I understand hating Crosby for his attitude, interviews etc.

But to say Jordan Staal is better?

I mean I can't even fathom how you could talk yourself into believe it.

I was listening to 97.1 tonight, and hearing the radio guy say he doesn't even have Crosby in his top 10 for current players.

This is what is unbelievable to me, I had much more faith in this fan base. Obviously there are going to be a few bad apples here and there but come on Detroit. You are better than this.

He has always had my respect as far as being a great player. I just get sick of hearing how great he is and seeing him on tv when there are players just as good if not better. Not to mention the non hand shake was pretty lame.

:lol:

Thank you for the laugh.

I am glad to have amused you. Staal is a +16, Crysby a +9. Crysby has 42 goals, Staal 16, with 42 goals if you were a great two-way player, you have a much better +/- than only +9. The last time Yzerman was near 42 was in 2000 with 35 goals and finish with a +28. In direct comparison, Ovechkin has 42 goals and is a +43! I think it's obvious who is a one way player and who is a two-way player. For $4MM, Jordan Staal is MUCH better than Crysby at $9MM, for the money, a team full of Staal type players would be more successful than a team full of Crysby type players...

But go ahead, laugh out loud. You can have you 42 goals while giving up 33, I'll take 16 goals while giving up 0...

edit: Not to mention out own Datsyuk, who last year had 32 and was a +34 and as that argument will forever go on here, a team full of Datsyuk destroys a team for of Crysby's... two-way ALWAYS beats ONE-WAY

Edited by LeftWinger

Using +/- as stat to judge defensive play is hilarious.

If Ovechkin was as good defensively as you say he is, he wouldn't have cherry picked all Olympics.

Not to mention Jeff Schultz is apparently the best defenseman in the league now.

I am glad to have amused you. Staal is a +16, Crysby a +9. Crysby has 42 goals, Staal 16, with 42 goals if you were a great two-way player, you have a much better +/- than only +9. The last time Yzerman was near 42 was in 2000 with 35 goals and finish with a +28. In direct comparison, Ovechkin has 42 goals and is a +43! I think it's obvious who is a one way player and who is a two-way player. For $4MM, Jordan Staal is MUCH better than Crysby at $9MM, for the money, a team full of Staal type players would be more successful than a team full of Crysby type players...

But go ahead, laugh out loud. You can have you 42 goals while giving up 33, I'll take 16 goals while giving up 0...

edit: Not to mention out own Datsyuk, who last year had 32 and was a +34 and as that argument will forever go on here, a team full of Datsyuk destroys a team for of Crysby's... two-way ALWAYS beats ONE-WAY

God you're an idiot

you're implying Ovechkin is better than Crosby when it comes to two-way hockey

that's just laughable get the f*** outta here haha

isn't it funny how stats don't mean s*** unless it pertains to the player you are pining for? Why was Vladdy one of the best defensmen in 1996? Points? No he was a +60, which led the league, that is why he was considered one of the best the short time he was playing, because of his defensive play. I'll take a team full of Staal's with one Ovechkin and win tons more Cups than your Crysby team....

BTW, you get the f*** out of here.... lets see Crysby play ANYWHERE near the game Ovechkin plays, Crysby would hit anyone with his tampon, and if he did, he would cry about being one who falls...

I can't tell if LeftWinger is serious?

Did he really say +/- is the only reason Vladdy was good?

Btw if we want to use fringe stats, Crosby has many more block shots then Ovechkin so Crosby >

No, Crosby did not earn my respect....until I watched the game for myself this evening. Even when he scored the winning goal on a pass from Iginla, I still hated the guy.

Then I changed my mind when he was awarded with the gold medal, and "Canada Place" chanted his name over and over. Fine, Crosby....you win. I'll stop making fun of you....for now. :cool:

Oh, and for the record, I still dislike Crosby and I dislike the attention Crosby has received and this game winning goal sure isn't going to make things better.

That said, I don't kid myself that he isn't one of the top 10, probably top 5 hockey players in the world.

I just thank dog that Miller got MVP and not him, that would have made me puke a bit in my mouth.

:siren:

Nicely stated.

I don't like him all that much or the over-attention he receives when media seems to ignore his quesitonable traits, but to say he is lucky or crap like that is absurd. Was he a savior or god's gift to earth like some media perceived after the 2009 Stanley Cup or the Olympics? No. But he's still one of the best players in the world presently. And people that are saying he is lucky or whatever is just downright hilarious.

Crosby didn't earn my respect, but Iggy sure did. Don't get me wrong, Crosby still has to put the puck in the net, but Iginla gift-wrapped him that one with his hard work.

Even more so, Toews certainly earned more respect with me in that tournament.. about as offensively effective as those two -and- excellent defense.

In any case, Crosby's one of the top 5 players in the world. Already had my respect before this tournament, and it's not like he needs to earn it.

Never has, never will, probably not his fault, he probably didnt want to be shoved down all our throats, but since he has been, I can never look at him with anything near respect. Not fully his fault, but his ******* antics don't help my preceptions.

Hell no no way he is a worm boy and Gwarys boy, he will never be anything close to The Great One, Mr. Hockey, The Captain, Hull, Lucky Luc, Super, Mario, Jagr and Messier. Mr Bettman created this little cry baby lets see what his numbers are when his career is done before we label this botox lipped ***** :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY