• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWings

Did Crosby earn your respect?

Rate this topic

To the above:

Wasn't there a big controversy with the media acting like the two skiers hated each other, when in reality they had the utmost respect for one another? I remember a female Olympian talking about how the media was making up a conflict between her and another US athlete.

Exactly. This is what I'm talking about. And if we give a s***, rather than having a knee-jerk reaction one way or the other (and I personally don't care which way anyone goes, with Crosby or anybody else), we need to understand how we are being used and abused. Over and over and over again. Then we can make better decisions and wiser personal choices.

This is a good and interesting thread. Most of us have pretty strong feelings about Crosby, but thought-provoking points are being made on both sides without personal attacks being a priority.

I've thought of something else about him that's kind of hard to admit. The kid is what, 22 years old now? If I had had that much attention, adulation, ass-kissing, higher-ups worshiping me, how would I behave at that age? I can only guess but I really don't want to. :shocking: Furthermore, the fact that Lemieux has him under his wing is probably part of why Crosby isn't totally obnoxious as hell.

Thing is that's how the media works. They build an athlete/celebrity up till you either hate them or adore them. Extenuating circumstances don't enter in as much as they should, such as how young Crosby is - and with ALL that talent.

There's another example right from the Olympics. Lindsey (sp?) Vonn, the skier, was hyped as the second coming of women's downhill skiers. She's also pretty, which doesn't hurt. THEN about a week ago while the Olympics were still going on, there's this huge column about maybe Vonn isn't so hot as "she" thinks she is, and Mancuso may be the next golden girl of the slopes. So on one hand, the media builds up Vonn to the Extreme, and then decides they need more news and conflict so they tear her down and suggest a rivalry that may have never been as dramatic as they suggested it was.

OK, this is too long and very philosophical. But I firmly believe that the media and marketing in general is one of the biggest crimes happening in society today. And Crosby is just one sport-related example of that.

*stepping off platform*

Well said... and I agree. The media makes and breaks things to have something to talk about. This is going on page 15 of the billionth Crosby thread on a red wings fan board. People love to hate him and that keeps them talking about him.. negative press is still press and keeps people talking! Man I probably would have died by now had I been in his position at his age!

Crosby didn't play well at all in the Olympics.

Invisible at times, even.

But:

He scored the game winning goal in overtime, in the Olympics, in Canada, against the USA.

It's utterly sad, but that makes up for everything.

I still hope he drowns in burning oil one day...

Crosby didn't play well at all in the Olympics.

Invisible at times, even.

But:

He scored the game winning goal in overtime, in the Olympics, in Canada, against the USA.

It's utterly sad, but that makes up for everything.

I still hope he drowns in burning oil one day...

Wow. Hadn't thought of that one. I have thought of him being torn limb from limb from four tractors pulling different directions.

Have you ever considered that maybe the reason the NHL isn't making billions of dollars in America is due to the fact that most American sports fans have a terrible case of Attention Defecit Disorder and can only stand to see 10 seconds of continous action at a time (like you find in baseball and football) that invlove steroid enhanced animals trying to rip each others heads off or throwing a ball faster than a car only to watch another steroid enhanced freak hit that missile 500 feet? Because I do...hockey doesn't have the biggest or the strongest athletes, in fact part of the reason that makes it such a great sport is that you don't have to start out by being blessed with freakish size or strength to play it.... hockey will never be a top 2 sport in America and thus will never have the priveliged TV rights, adequate time of Sportscenter, etc. not because it is being marketed wrong, or because it is an inferior sport, but because the mass audience is largely made up of people who are too impatient or ignorant to realize what a great spectator sport it can be and have too may false pre concieved notions about it...it's just a sign of the times we live in. ( remember there was a time when most thought the world was flat, but that wasn't because the few scientists "in the know" were presenting their ideas "wrongly").

Oh sorry lost my train of thought :rolleyes:

As was mentioned before and I would like to reiterate. Scoring the GWG in OT earns my respect for a player, (although he already had it) but it takes way more than that to earn my respect for a person.

Not bad, but where's the endless suffering ?

:blink: Damn. You're right. I think somebody smarter than me already brought it up but for starters, force him to watch an endless loop of Ovechkin highlights. And we could add the following (taken from our local paper this morning):

"Pittsburgh 3, Buffalo 2 - Ruslan Fedotenko had a goal and an assist and Sidney Crosby - in his first game since winning the Olympics for Canada - set up Sergei Gonchar's 200th career goal to lead the Penguins past the Sabres. For perhaps the first time in his career, Crosby drew fewer cheers than an opposing player in his own arena. The ovation given Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, the USA goalie named Olympics MVP who did not play Tuesday, was noticeably louder and longer."

Always start with the Ego Thing, Then if necessary, move on from there. :ph34r:

im starting to get sick of this crosby s***. its going too far. this guy does not need a headline on NHL.com cause he stick handled the puck on his knees are you ******* for real. who cant do that? all you hear is sidney crosby and the penguins. he comes before the team huh. well atleast hes not a cocky ***** about it. not his fault media is on his dick.

Ovechkin can jump around after scoring and perform pre-concieved goal celebrations and he is celebrated for displaying emotion and a love of the game..Crosby throws his gloves off and jumps after scoring a goal that clinched an Olympic gold medal (a bigger goal than OV has ever scored) and he is a smug cocky *******. :blink:

Ovechkin makes brash statements on a regular basis and he is just speaking his mind..Crosby makes a statement saying he is surprised the game was that close (which shows that 1. he is even admitting he didnt give the US enough credit and 2. he is at least being honest, and i can't argue with him...given the rosters the game shouldn't have been that close) and you idiots jump all over that one statement and ignore seconds later when he said their win was a team effort and that it wasn't all about him, that anyone else on his team could've been the one to score, everybody worked hard and they really came together as a team, etc. You people see everything through a tainted view, there's no sense in arguing with you....As far as him getting attention here's his resume since 2003 :

2003: National Champion w/ Shattuck St. Mary's (Minn.)

2004: First player in history to win QMJHL Rookie of the Year, Player of the Year, Top Scorer in same season

2004 and 2005: CHL MVP

2005: QMJHL Champion, Memorial Cup runner up, led Memorial Cup tournament in scoring

2005: Wins Gold Medal at World Junior Championship

2006:Youngest player to win a World Championship scoring title, named WJC Best Forward

2007: Becomes youngest player to ever win a North American pro sports scoring title (Art Ross Trophy), as well as the youngest winner of the Lester B. Pearson Trophy, the youngest to be named to the NHL First-Team and wins the NHL MVP ( Hart Trophy)

2008: Ties for NHL playoff scoring lead with Henrik Zetterberg, makes first SCF appearance

2009: Leads NHL playoffs in goals scored, becomes only second player in 13 years to top 30 points in a playoff run, becomes youngest captain to ever win the Stanley Cup

2010: Averages a point per game, and has 2 game winning goals for Canada during Olympic Winter Games, including Gold-Medal winning goal in Overtime vs. the United States in the most watched television event in Canadian History

There's not one other hockey player in the world who can match the combination of team and individual success that Crosby has had over that time period (and he's still only 22!!) so I'm sorry but I have to disagree when people say he shouldn't be the NHL's number 1 posterboy.

Nobody (ok a few LGW posters) said he wasn't a great talent. This thread was about if we respected him. As a hockey player - yes. As a person - no. So you can stop praising his hockey ability and post some things that he has said or done that should garner our respect for him as a person.

I'll give you a hint.

Things that he SHOULD have done:

1. After "forgetting" to shake hands after game 7 last year, he should have called Nick the following week and basically said that he wasn't intentionally trying to slight him.

2. After winning the gold medal in OT last week, he should have said something to the effect that the U.S. played a great game and Canada was fortunate to get the OT winner.

When he grows up and starts doing these kind of things, he will have my respect.

One last thing. When Yzermann retired, he said that his sucess was the result of playing with great teamates. That is class.

I'm waiting for Syd to grow up.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story%3Fid%3D4960646

PITTSBURGH -- Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller received a standing ovation in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night for leading the United States to an Olympic silver medal -- cheers louder than those given the Penguins' own Sidney Crosby.

|

|

|

Olympians for both teams were introduced before the game, with Miller drawing the loudest and most sustained cheering. Crosby also was given a standing ovation, but it was less enthusiastic than Miller's despite his vast popularity in Pittsburgh.

|

|

|

There was a mixed reaction when a replay of Crosby's game-winning goal was shown on the Mellon Arena scoreboard, with some cheering but also audible booing. Later in the game, when the replay was shown again during a break in play, there were noticeably more boos than cheers.

I actually hurt my ribs laughing when I read this article.

MCKENZIE: CROSBY'S OLYMPIC GEAR HAS GONE MISSING

Alert one of the many Royal Canadian Mounted Police, real and otherwise, at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics.

Sidney Crosby's gear has gone missing.

The man who scored Canada's Golden Goal to win Olympic gold in Vancouver returned home without the stick and gloves he used to score them. Maybe his helmet, too, although we're not quite sure on that just yet.

The good news is he did get his mouthguard back.

As soon as Crosby scored the game-winning goal in overtime, Crosby's helmet, gloves, stick and mouthguard all ended up on the ice at the national celebration began. Actually, one of this gloves ended up in the end zone mesh netting above the glass.

When all was said and done, and the yard sale was cleaned up, it was believed both of Crosby's gloves, including the one in the mesh, were put in a bin in the Team Canada dressing room area, as well as his stick.

But somewhere, sometime, between then and when Crosby left, the gloves and stick were nowhere to be found.

Hockey Canada says they are launching a full investigation to see where the equipment may be.

Crosby's mouthguard was returned to him and there's talk that his helmet made it way back to Pittsburgh, but Crosby is the only one who can confirm that and he's playing right now.

lulz

Nobody (ok a few LGW posters) said he wasn't a great talent. This thread was about if we respected him. As a hockey player - yes. As a person - no. So you can stop praising his hockey ability and post some things that he has said or done that should garner our respect for him as a person.

I'll give you a hint.

Things that he SHOULD have done:

1. After "forgetting" to shake hands after game 7 last year, he should have called Nick the following week and basically said that he wasn't intentionally trying to slight him.

2. After winning the gold medal in OT last week, he should have said something to the effect that the U.S. played a great game and Canada was fortunate to get the OT winner.

When he grows up and starts doing these kind of things, he will have my respect.

One last thing. When Yzermann retired, he said that his sucess was the result of playing with great teamates. That is class.

I'm waiting for Syd to grow up.....

This is hilarious...what does he dial directory assistance and ask for the "Nick Lidstrom residence somewhere in Michigan near Detroit probably" or does the NHL provide a player phonebook to everyone in the case that they miss a handshake so they can call and explain that is was not intentional... the intent to shake was there?!

Even better... after a tough tournament and right after scoring the GWG in OT to win the Gold medal on home ice he would have been better to think and say say to the local media that they were lucky to score and didn't deserve to win!

Guest micah
This is hilarious...what does he dial directory assistance and ask for the "Nick Lidstrom residence somewhere in Michigan near Detroit probably" or does the NHL provide a player phonebook to everyone in the case that they miss a handshake so they can call and explain that is was not intentional... the intent to shake was there?!

Even better... after a tough tournament and right after scoring the GWG in OT to win the Gold medal on home ice he would have been better to think and say say to the local media that they were lucky to score and didn't deserve to win!

Lidstrom is classless for not calling up Crosby on the phone because he never got a chance to shake his hand and personally congrtulate him on winning the Stanley Cup. ;)

I have an aquaintence who worked for a well known reality TV show. He told me "when you have enough film of someone - you can make them look like Hitler or Mother Theressa". the wrote rough scripts ahead of time and knew who they wanted to be the hero and who the villian. I think we see a bit of that with Crosby. The guy has cameras on him at every moment - the league tries to make him like a clean cut (North) American kid. At the same time, there is plenty of film that could cause one to decide that he's a bum, if they choose to only look at the questionable things he's done. I think that most honest people would say "he's a great tallent and he's conducting himself better than I would have as a 20 year old multi-milionaire."

Edited by micah

This is such a joke.

Why not just create a thread that says "I hate Crosby because".

There's no pleasing Crosby haters. None. The kid can't do anything right no matter how he acts.

And let me get this straight, he was supposed to say "I got lucky with that goal"? Give me a break!

First it wasn't luck, it was skill.

Second, I wouldn't expect anyone on the ice to say that trash if they scored.

And really, we're still on the handshake deal?

Chelios went out of his way not to shake hands in 07 but that's okay.

But Crosby gets stuck in an interview and genuinely forgets and he's vilified. Even after Lidstrom said it was an oversight by Sid, not a slight.

I wish these haters wouldn't try to mask their reasons. Just say you hate him because you hate him.

If anyone else in the league did these things (ie Ovechkin, Carter, Marleau, Savard) nobody would say boo.

But everyone hates Sid.

He didn't demand to be the NHL's poster boy. He didn't ask to be on every commercial.

I can guarantee you people would hate him if he asked to stop being profiled. If he pushed a kid with a camera he'd be boiled and feathered. Why does AO get a pass on that?

The kids insanely talented, has respect for the game and others and is humble.

Stop nitpicking every incident trying to find dirt on him. Get a life.

Guest micah

How do you know that he didn't?

How do you know that he didn't?

Excellent point.

In my mind, Crosby doesn't have to earn anyone's respect.

Yes, he was a whiner and diver in the beginning of his career. Big deal. So was Gretzky and Lemieux. And so was Forsberg.

He's far more mature now and he's only 22.

Just look at how insanely immature many act on this message board. Now imagine giving some of us $20M and a Cup. I imagine the douchery that would take place would eclipse anything we saw on Jersey Shore.

I mean, look at this ridiculous thread. Who's calling the kettle black?