• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWings

Did Crosby earn your respect?

Rate this topic

If anything this made me hate him more. The little ***** gets the story book ending for team canada? f*** that.

He's one of the best players in the world. Don't get me wrong. But he won't earn my respect unless he purposely breaks both of his own knees.

Not even gong to go talk Crosby because the guy on this team who was a ******* beast worked his way from line four to line two center...Jonathan Toews! He played awesome, he shut down ******* everyone. Won't lie though this made me a touch nervous for the playoffs this year :( because he was the best on the team.

Crosby didn't earn my respect, but Iggy sure did. Don't get me wrong, Crosby still has to put the puck in the net, but Iginla gift-wrapped him that one with his hard work.

Crosby was did more on that play then Iginla. Crosby brought it in the zone also...

According to the testimony of Iginla, it was the pitch in the voice of Crosby's call "Iggy" to ask for the pass from the left corner, which spurred the timing of the pass so that this magic moment did not miss its cue: "He yelled for it -- oh yeah, there's different pitches of yelling and I saw he had a step on the guy and I was just hoping it wasn't too late."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/2010wint...6409/story.html

Any NHL player could have scored that goal... No respect..

:lol:

Ovechkin can jump around after scoring and perform pre-concieved goal celebrations and he is celebrated for displaying emotion and a love of the game..Crosby throws his gloves off and jumps after scoring a goal that clinched an Olympic gold medal (a bigger goal than OV has ever scored) and he is a smug cocky *******. :blink:

Ovechkin makes brash statements on a regular basis and he is just speaking his mind..Crosby makes a statement saying he is surprised the game was that close (which shows that 1. he is even admitting he didnt give the US enough credit and 2. he is at least being honest, and i can't argue with him...given the rosters the game shouldn't have been that close) and you idiots jump all over that one statement and ignore seconds later when he said their win was a team effort and that it wasn't all about him, that anyone else on his team could've been the one to score, everybody worked hard and they really came together as a team, etc. You people see everything through a tainted view, there's no sense in arguing with you....As far as him getting attention here's his resume since 2003 :

2003: National Champion w/ Shattuck St. Mary's (Minn.)

2004: First player in history to win QMJHL Rookie of the Year, Player of the Year, Top Scorer in same season

2004 and 2005: CHL MVP

2005: QMJHL Champion, Memorial Cup runner up, led Memorial Cup tournament in scoring

2005: Wins Gold Medal at World Junior Championship

2006:Youngest player to win a World Championship scoring title, named WJC Best Forward

2007: Becomes youngest player to ever win a North American pro sports scoring title (Art Ross Trophy), as well as the youngest winner of the Lester B. Pearson Trophy, the youngest to be named to the NHL First-Team and wins the NHL MVP ( Hart Trophy)

2008: Ties for NHL playoff scoring lead with Henrik Zetterberg, makes first SCF appearance

2009: Leads NHL playoffs in goals scored, becomes only second player in 13 years to top 30 points in a playoff run, becomes youngest captain to ever win the Stanley Cup

2010: Averages a point per game, and has 2 game winning goals for Canada during Olympic Winter Games, including Gold-Medal winning goal in Overtime vs. the United States in the most watched television event in Canadian History

There's not one other hockey player in the world who can match the combination of team and individual success that Crosby has had over that time period (and he's still only 22!!) so I'm sorry but I have to disagree when people say he shouldn't be the NHL's number 1 posterboy.

Ovechkin can jump around after scoring and perform pre-concieved goal celebrations and he is celebrated for displaying emotion and a love of the game..Crosby throws his gloves off and jumps after scoring a goal that clinched an Olympic gold medal (a bigger goal than OV has ever scored) and he is a smug cocky *******. :blink:

Ovechkin makes brash statements on a regular basis and he is just speaking his mind..Crosby makes a statement saying he is surprised the game was that close (which shows that 1. he is even admitting he didnt give the US enough credit and 2. he is at least being honest, and i can't argue with him...given the rosters the game shouldn't have been that close) and you idiots jump all over that one statement and ignore seconds later when he said their win was a team effort and that it wasn't all about him, that anyone else on his team could've been the one to score, everybody worked hard and they really came together as a team, etc. You people see everything through a tainted view, there's no sense in arguing with you....As far as him getting attention here's his resume since 2003 :

2004: First player in history to win QMJHL Rookie of the Year, Player of the Year, Top Scorer in same season

2005: QMJHL Champion, Memorial Cup runner up, led Memorial Cup tournament in scoring

2006:Youngest player to win a World Championship scoring title, named WJC Best Forward

2007: Becomes youngest player to ever win a North American pro sports scoring title (Art Ross Trophy), as well as the youngest winner of the Lester B. Pearson Trophy, the youngest to be named to the NHL First-Team and wins the NHL MVP ( Hart Trophy)

2008: Ties for NHL playoff scoring lead with Henrik Zetterberg, makes first SCF appearance

2009: Leads NHL playoffs in goals scored, becomes only second player in 13 years to top 30 points in a playoff run, becomes youngest captain to ever win the Stanley Cup

2010: Averages a point per game, and has 2 game winning goals for Canada during Olympic Winter Games, including Gold-Medal winning goal in Overtime vs. the United States in the most watched television event in Canadian History

There's not one other hockey player in the world who can match the combination of team and individual success that Crosby has had over that time period (and he's still only 22!!) so I'm sorry but I have to disagree when people say he shouldn't be the NHL's number 1 posterboy.

This.

Love him or hate him the kid is a winner and his resume above shows it all.... AND he is only 22! I do not feel he was all that great for most of the Olympic tourny, there were more impressive showings for sure, BUT his hard work in OT won us the game. It is what it is!

And yet tons of people still hate him and NHL marketing is still sucking. Funny how that works. But please, show us more of his shiny things.

esteef

We get it. You think the sun shines out of the crack of his ass. We happen to disagree. Get over it.

You could always ignore the thread. Cause you know that if each side keeps going back and forth with "I disagree" then it isn't going to matter who "gets it".

Hey great I love it fantastic great stats , but the problem is not what he has achieved or what he may accomplish, it is the special treatment that tis kid gets by the league

and the constent barage of his name on the teli hockey fans and players are sick of it . let the kid play leave the hype alone and lets see were he stands at the end of it all

his career is a marathon not a sprint ( HE WILL NEVER CATCH GRETZ OR HOWE )

At least he played well in the Olympics and earned the medal. I can at least respect that (kind of).

He sucked in the SCF last year - yet paraded around with the Cup like he was the MVP (not) - all the while forgetting a little tradition that was started long before he was born.... <_<

And yet tons of people still hate him and NHL marketing is still sucking. Funny how that works. But please, show us more of his shiny things.

esteef

Have you ever considered that maybe the reason the NHL isn't making billions of dollars in America is due to the fact that most American sports fans have a terrible case of Attention Defecit Disorder and can only stand to see 10 seconds of continous action at a time (like you find in baseball and football) that invlove steroid enhanced animals trying to rip each others heads off or throwing a ball faster than a car only to watch another steroid enhanced freak hit that missile 500 feet? Because I do...hockey doesn't have the biggest or the strongest athletes, in fact part of the reason that makes it such a great sport is that you don't have to start out by being blessed with freakish size or strength to play it.... hockey will never be a top 2 sport in America and thus will never have the priveliged TV rights, adequate time of Sportscenter, etc. not because it is being marketed wrong, or because it is an inferior sport, but because the mass audience is largely made up of people who are too impatient or ignorant to realize what a great spectator sport it can be and have too may false pre concieved notions about it...it's just a sign of the times we live in. ( remember there was a time when most thought the world was flat, but that wasn't because the few scientists "in the know" were presenting their ideas "wrongly").

Edited by StevieY'sguy

He didn't "earn" my respect by scoring the GWG for Canada because he already had my respect as a player. As a sportsman or as a human being, I don't know, but I don't really know that about anybody. He is a little bit of a whiner and the handshake thing from last June wasn't great (but it was also way overblown). I was watching NHL Live today and they had Phil Borque on the phone, who I guess does TV or radio for the Penguins. He couldn't stop glowing about how great of a model citizen Crosby was, and how he finds himself asking "What would Crosby do" during his day-to-day routine (he wasn't joking). That's a little over the top.

But you can't deny that this guy is 22 years old, and already he's led a team that basically should have collapsed and moved to Kansas City to two straight Finals and one Cup, and now Canada to an Olympic Gold medal. And he's done it all despite the pressure of being annointed by Gretzky at age 16, a #1 overall pick in the draft, an extremely young captain, and the "face of the new NHL". As much it pains me as a Wings fan, you have to acknowledge that for all the absurd hype around this guy, about 95% of it has already come true, and that's really pretty remarkable.

Yes, he has tons of help on both Pittsburgh and Canada, but it doesn't make me any less of a Wings fan to acknowledge his accomplishments. If it were the Red Wings who ended up with the 2005 #1 overall in that jerry-rigged lottery system, LGW would already be talking about him like the next Yzerman.

Have you ever considered that maybe the reason the NHL isn't making billions of dollars in America is due to the fact that most American sports fans have a terrible case of Attention Defecit Disorder and can only stand to see 10 seconds of continous action at a time (like you find in baseball and football) that invlove steroid enhanced animals trying to rip each others heads off or throwing a ball faster than a car only to watch another steroid enhanced freak hit that missile 500 feet? Because I do...hockey doesn't have the biggest or the strongest athletes, in fact part of the reason that makes it such a great sport is that you don't have to start out by being blessed with freakish size or strength to play it.... hockey will never be a top 2 sport in America and thus will never have the priveliged TV rights, adequate time of Sportscenter, etc. not because it is being marketed wrong, or because it is an inferior sport, but because the mass audience is largely made up of people who are too impatient or ignorant to realize what a great spectator sport it can be and have too may false pre concieved notions about it...it's just a sign of the times we live in. ( remember there was a time when most thought the world was flat, but that wasn't because the few scientists "in the know" were presenting their ideas "wrongly").

Yes! Thank you!

This is why I don't exhaust myself trying to convince football and baseball fans how awesome my favorite sport is. Who cares? Even my wife (who is a casual football and baseball fan, at best) doesn't understand the sport of hockey in the sense that you need to sit down and watch a 20-minute period, and enjoy it for what it is. While I really want the sport back on ESPN (for marketing and availability reasons), in some ways I'm glad that I don't see hockey highlights forced into the same SportsCenter format you see for football, baseball, and basketball highlights.

A real hockey fan (which usually means somebody who either played the sport at some level or at least grew up with it enough to understand it) understands that a scoreless period doesn't mean "nothing happened".

The kid is great at hockey, just sucks at life.

As a player I respect his skills.

As a human being, I feel that he has a long way to go to earn my respect.

He could have earned it by changing his statement from "I didn't think it would be that close," to be "I hoped it wouldn't be that close."

Confidence is fine. Blatant cockiness is another.

OR they picked a s***ty poster boy. I mean look at his resume, he should be raking in the fans right?

esteef

Guest micah
OR they picked a s***ty poster boy. I mean look at his resume, he should be raking in the fans right?

He's been an effective poster boy - either that, ot you're smarter than ESPN, the NHL, SI, TSN and everyone else who slobs on his knob.

Everyone who is putting their money up for a poster boy is buying into Sid. I think they know something that webforum losers don't. It could just be that this is the best the league is capable of today - maybe most people have seen hockey and just plain don't like it as much as you do. Maybe I'm of the oppinion that there has never been a greater band than the Old 97s, yet they don't top the Billboard charts. That doesn't mean their frontman isn't charasmatic enough, it could mean that most people disagree with me about how enjoyable they are.

The NHL would be in a worse place today if not for Sid. Who would they use in advertisements, the greasy Russian who hasn't won s***? The triangle headed mutant from the Wings who leaves viewers wishing that Dr Rhamani were around to blind them?

Actually, Getzlaf and Lucic would be fine choices - they're both likable lunchbucket types, and who doesn't love that? Sadly, Lucic hasn't won s*** either, and Getslaf - well, I don't know why he doesn't get more love from the press. He seems to have it all - he's in that group of elite forwards who are 2nd only to Crosby and Ovy in skill.

Edited by micah

He's been an effective poster boy - either that, ot you're smarter than ESPN, the NHL, SI, TSN and everyone else who slobs on his knob.

Everyone who is putting their money up for a poster boy is buying into Sid. I think they know something that webforum losers don't. It could just be that this is the best the league is capable of today - maybe most people have seen hockey and just plain don't like it as much as you do. Maybe I'm of the oppinion that there has never been a greater band than the Old 97s, yet they don't top the Billboard charts. That doesn't mean their frontman isn't charasmatic enough, it could mean that most people disagree with me about how enjoyable they are.

The NHL would be in a worse place today if not for Sid. Who would they use in advertisements, the greasy Russian who hasn't won s***? The triangle headed mutant from the Wings who leaves viewers wishing that Dr Rhamani were around to blind them?

Actually, Getzlaf and Lucic would be fine choices - they're both likable lunchbucket types, and who doesn't love that? Sadly, Lucic hasn't won s*** either, and Getslaf - well, I don't know why he doesn't get more love from the press. He seems to have it all - he's in that group of elite forwards who are 2nd only to Crosby and Ovy in skill.

So the people who pay to make him the poster boy say he's effective so therefore he is? A large portion of the hockey fanbase doesn't like him, regardless of his accomplishments. How is that effective?

As has been said for years, there are a lot of great players in the league, spread the attention around. I'm with you on Getzlaf, unfortunately he plays for a West coast team, so the East could care less about him.

And of course I'm smarter than them! :P

esteef

I really don't see how much of a difference there is.

You have Crosby and Ovechkin getting the main attention when there is a game.

Then lower tier stars (check out the NHL network commercials. Jordan Staal, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Michael Cammeleri, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, and Tim Thomas all get little spots during breaks in the action).

Then you have teams like San Jose, Detroit, and New Jersey who have had very good teams for some time.

Then teams with young talent (Colorado, Tampa Bay, NYI)

And the more hockey you watch/listen to, the more attention everyone gets. Crosby and Ovechkin may get the most, but they aren't the ONLY ones who are getting media attention (Remember how much of the limelight was on Hossa last year?).

This is a good and interesting thread. Most of us have pretty strong feelings about Crosby, but thought-provoking points are being made on both sides without personal attacks being a priority.

I've thought of something else about him that's kind of hard to admit. The kid is what, 22 years old now? If I had had that much attention, adulation, ass-kissing, higher-ups worshiping me, how would I behave at that age? I can only guess but I really don't want to. :shocking: Furthermore, the fact that Lemieux has him under his wing is probably part of why Crosby isn't totally obnoxious as hell.

Thing is that's how the media works. They build an athlete/celebrity up till you either hate them or adore them. Extenuating circumstances don't enter in as much as they should, such as how young Crosby is - and with ALL that talent.

There's another example right from the Olympics. Lindsey (sp?) Vonn, the skier, was hyped as the second coming of women's downhill skiers. She's also pretty, which doesn't hurt. THEN about a week ago while the Olympics were still going on, there's this huge column about maybe Vonn isn't so hot as "she" thinks she is, and Mancuso may be the next golden girl of the slopes. So on one hand, the media builds up Vonn to the Extreme, and then decides they need more news and conflict so they tear her down and suggest a rivalry that may have never been as dramatic as they suggested it was.

OK, this is too long and very philosophical. But I firmly believe that the media and marketing in general is one of the biggest crimes happening in society today. And Crosby is just one sport-related example of that.

*stepping off platform*

To the above:

Wasn't there a big controversy with the media acting like the two skiers hated each other, when in reality they had the utmost respect for one another? I remember a female Olympian talking about how the media was making up a conflict between her and another US athlete.