121 replies to this topic

#121 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ March 1, 2010 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find this hilariously ironic given there were a few Canadians saying this after the US prelim win over Canada. Interesting when, as I mentioned before, the tables are turned.

?What? Canadians saying the US roster was far better? No way. Conventional Wisdom had Canda competing int he Gold MEdal game while the US would be lucky to compete for the Bronze medal game.

#122 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (T.Low @ March 1, 2010 - 11:05AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No doubt. My wife started watching the game and said "how is that I know the enitire Candian team but only recognize Miller and Rafalski and Kane on the American team? I thought they must be all amateurs at first."

It just means she doesn't pay much attention to the teams the Wings play. I just want to point to the exaggeration that the Canadian team are pros and the US are amateurs.

The US team proved it was on par with the All-Star Canadian roster, not only by besting them in the pre-medal rounds, but having a better tournament record. The Canadian team was not leaps and bounds above the US team.. they were barely good enough to win in sudden death time. That being said, the US was beaten by a better team, even if only slightly better. If the US team can keep this up then certainly the development for US hockey has risen significantly, and perhaps they won't be rated so low. To be fair, I was under the assumption the US team would be lucky to medal, so a silver is certainly way above expectations. And they nearly won the gold.

QUOTE (T.Low @ March 1, 2010 - 11:07AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
?What? Canadians saying the US roster was far better? No way. Conventional Wisdom had Canda competing int he Gold MEdal game while the US would be lucky to compete for the Bronze medal game.

About gloating.

Edited by Shoreline, 01 March 2010 - 02:14 PM.