• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zettie85

Gold Medal Game Offciating

Rate this topic

They weren't the best "All-Star" team, But they were definitely the best All-Heart team.

Canada was the favorite, USA wasn't even picked to medal. That same attitude is what got Canada beat in the prelims and almost beat in the Medal game. Quit gloating and enjoy that you beat a team that was expected to finish in 4th or 5th place. USA taking a stacked Canada team to overtime, may not win a Gold medal, but they won a moral victory of large proportions. And to dump the loss on Broduer, give me a break. That team should have won with Osgood in goal. Enjoy your victory. 2014 is right around the corner.

:clap::thumbup:

After you beat us the first time, you guys were chirping the s*** out of us Canadians and giving us a hard time on this board. We're merely just going to, you know, return the favour. Next time don't jump the gun, the gold medal game is the one that counts in the end, sucka.

I guess you missed my point that we weren't even supposed to be playing for a Gold Medal, where Canada was the odds on favourite to win the Gold. Team Canada walked into the tourneyment thinking that they would take everyone to the clinic with there play. They just forgot to play with the heart that they needed to. By all rationale, the score should have been 8-2 Canada. But USA played with a nothing to lose attitude and even though they only took the Silver, they still won in the hearts of many Americans. I'm celebrating your victory with a La Fin DU Monde, a big upgrade from the Red White and Blue that I was drinking earlier in the day. Congrats to you and the Country that is due South of Detroit. :) Cheers. :beerbuddy:

lol how is he crying about last week?. he is clearly stating that if Orpik or Gleason or even Malone were Canadian they wouldn't make our 3rd team

He was crying about Brodeur gift wrapping the goals in his previous post.

It is indisputable what you say about Orpik or Gleason, but I think that it just goes to show that the USA team actually played better as a "team" in defeat than the hoards of All Stars that Canada iced. Their end performance was greater than the sum of their parts, while the Canadian team nearly blew it. Canada definitely has more talent by leaps and bounds, and in the end that made the difference only in the slightest of terms. The game was played and the result stands, so I take nothing away from the Canadian team and their gold - they are a team of amazing talent. If ever they were to truly gel as a cohesive unit rather than an all star team then no one could stop them.

Guest Four
I guess you missed my point that we weren't even supposed to be playing for a Gold Medal, where Canada was the odds on favourite to win the Gold. Team Canada walked into the tourneyment thinking that they would take everyone to the clinic with there play. They just forgot to play with the heart that they needed to. By all rationale, the score should have been 8-2 Canada. But USA played with a nothing to lose attitude and even though they only took the Silver, they still won in the hearts of many Americans. I'm celebrating your victory with a La Fin DU Monde, a big upgrade from the Red White and Blue that I was drinking earlier in the day. Congrats to you and the Country that is due South of Detroit. :) Cheers. :beerbuddy:

You cannot compare your team to Germany :P

Guest Four
Officiating was as good as it could get. Wished for a different result but it was about as fair a game as it could've been called. Good job officials! :thumbup:

When Parise scored, I thought we'd lose in OT for sure and I was bummed as hell. I never questioned the officiating though.

no major penalties? What about when Perry started throwing punches at the end of the first? Hits to the head are pretty much a no-no, especially when the guy getting hit is facing the other way and doesn't see it coming.

Missed calls are a part of hockey and will be until we have robot refs some time in the future, but blatent things like that from hockey players that have reputations for douchey moves like that should NOT be allowed in an Olympic gold medal game.

Call it sour grapes all you want, but to say that Canada didn't get the better end of the officiating is ignoring a lot.

And let's remember that Dan Boyle didn't get a suspension for his very illegal slew footing that could have seriously injured Alex Semin a few games ago.

I'm not going to say the US would have won if the refs had been from a neutral country or if these refs had just made better calls, but the missed calls did not even out, and that had an effect on the game at some level.

When are you people going to figure out that the Canadians will always get the better end in the officiating because 80% of the officials are CANADIAN. Any day of the week watch an NHL game and it is so f***in obvious you gotta be blind to not see it.

When are you people going to figure out that the Canadians will always get the better end in the officiating because 80% of the officials are CANADIAN. Any day of the week watch an NHL game and it is so f***in obvious you gotta be blind to not see it.

I really have to wonder sometimes why people insist on wearing tinfoil hats. I mean really, if you watch the game with such a mindset, why do you watch at all, I can't imagine you get much enjoyment out of it?

To this thread, I was going to reply bravo, what a civil thread. People from both sides pretty much agreeing that the refs were a relative non-factor in the game, which most people viewed as a good thing.

... then it went down hill.

Guest Four
And let's remember that Dan Boyle didn't get a suspension for his very illegal slew footing that could have seriously injured Alex Semin a few games ago.

Bobby. Ryan.

Both teams got away with a LOT of stuff that should have been called. I do like that the refs let them play, but there were some obvious calls that should have been made just to keep things in check. I don't mind the "let them play" philosophy if both teams get really rough like they did in the game, but if it is completely one sided with "dirty plays"/excessive roughness, then I would like to see some calls.

This was probably one of the best games since Game 6 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals.

Did most of you guys who said it was bad reffing just start watching in 2005??? It seems like it because, this was a perfect example of what made hockey so great, pre-lockout. There's maybe a little more holding and interfering but the game was decided by the players not by a too many men call. Not by a borderline crosscheck. Not by someone feeling a stick near their feet and and folding it in to get the call. They didn't call anything chincy. Obvious trips by Toews and Ryan were called. Staal and his blatant away from play interference. The hit to head on Perry, that they were generous to not give it a hit to the head. 2 powerplays a piece and then the guys settle it

If you want fouls for every little contact you should watch basketball. The gold medal game was a prime example of a great game played by both teams and reffed even better by the officials. How often can you say that these days?

The non-interference calls on team Canada were ******* ridiculous. They got away with it every time. Disgraceful.

Really... I mean, really? Are you going to be "that guy"?

Sure seems like it.

Oh, by the way... nobody likes "that guy".

i love this thread:

part 1) all canadians think the reffing was perfect

part 2) some americans say that reffing was crappy as usual

part 3) all canadian posters call out all american posters as whiney crybaby losers

did i miss anything?

Part 1: I admitted there were a few mistakes and I'm a Canadian.

Part 2: True, some are.

Part 3: I again as a Canadian didn't call anyone out.

As you can see I inluded my original post before for you to check over and confirm facts. I simply wish people wouldn't make blanket statements that are not true. Anyways this is the last time i'll comment in this thread.

It's time to move on.

A few mistakes throughout the game but it was a nail bitter of a game and overall I thought it was a good one. Personally id rather have flow than whistle after whistle of penalties but to each their own I guess.

Not like anything said here will change the end result as well.

Anyways back to the business at hand.... Detroit and the playoffs.

Part 1: I admitted there were a few mistakes and I'm a Canadian.

Part 2: True, some are.

Part 3: I again as a Canadian didn't call anyone out.

As you can see I inluded my original post before for you to check over and confirm facts. I simply wish people wouldn't make blanket statements that are not true. Anyways this is the last time i'll comment in this thread.

It's time to move on.

Sweeping generalisms seem to be the order of business in these parts.

It's been said here before, but this has boiled down to:

1) Canadians think the reffing was awesome

2) Americans aren't bitching, but point out a few inconsistencies

3) Canadians think that any criticism of the officiating is "bitching"

First off--I agree, to a certain extent, with some things here. Luongo had the benefit of a very quick whistle vs. what Miller was getting. On both sides, calls were missed, but the missed calls favored Canada slightly.

What I find funny about this is that Canadians act like they've accomplished something. My wife and I have had this discussion multiple times throughout the games--- what the hell is wrong with Canada and these games? If there is anything that I will take away from this, it's that the Canucks built a (literally) killer luge track for the sole purpose of saying it was the world's fastest (and don't try to argue that, what other course would have a curve that killed a guy and was referred to as a 50/50 curve for those who didn't die).

In hockey, I've never seen a more arrogant bunch with so little to be proud of. Congrats. You had a team of all-stars that BARELY sqeaked out a win playing trap hockey against 2nd-tier NHLers. And yet, the phrase "we won" is something that we "need to get over, blah blah blah."

Sidney Crosby is the new face of Canadian hockey, and the fans reflect it.

What I find funny about this is that Canadians act like they've accomplished something. My wife and I have had this discussion multiple times throughout the games--- what the hell is wrong with Canada and these games? If there is anything that I will take away from this, it's that the Canucks built a (literally) killer luge track for the sole purpose of saying it was the world's fastest (and don't try to argue that, what other course would have a curve that killed a guy and was referred to as a 50/50 curve for those who didn't die).

I listen to a fair bit of anti-Canada BS on this board, and a fair bit of Canadian swagger.

But after this comment, all I can say is.

f*** YOU. You are a ******.

I wont bother commenting towards the idiocy of your comments, including the ignorance behind the 50/50 comment. You are willing to spew out hateful and wrong comments like the above, and that is all I need to know about you. You are either ignorant, or a ******, or an ignorant ******. None of which is a trait I am willing to tolerate. If you don't realize the degree to which you just insulted my country and by proxy me, it just adds to your detriments.

Edited by Serapth

What is done is done. There is no point in getting bogged down in things which cannot be changed. As sure as the result, the Canadians will be sure not to underestimate the US next time. Hopefully the Swedes and the Russians can get their s*** together again in Sochi 2014 because that could be an even better tourney if Bettman doesn't throw it all away!

I counted at least 5 cross checks to the back or head by Canada during regulation that were not called. There were also a couple slashes either way not called, and Dustin Brown being offsides on Ryan Kesler's goal. Luongo was given the quick whistle even when the puck was loose near him, while Canadians were allowed to whack away at Ryan Miller, and the US was called for a questionable crease violation when an American player was in the crease for a fraction of a second early on, but Canadian players were not called when entering the crease later in the game. How does that rule work exactly? Interference was another call that was ignored; when one player would pass the player up out of the zone, and another player would try and skate around an opposing player to get to the puck and be hit there would be no call. That happened all night.

The officiating was one of the worst called games I have seen in years, both from one team getting more breaks and from inconsistency throughout the game.

The officals let a lot of calls go on both sides between offsides, to many men on the ice twice and what about when the whisle was blown and langenbruner kept wacking away at the luongos pads or jack johnsons elbow at the end of the first when the whistle went about 3 secs before he elbowed a canadian player . All these calls werent called but canada did do some things to that were let go to so in my eyes the refs did a good job and its time to get over it

Guest Four
Did most of you guys who said it was bad reffing just start watching in 2005??? It seems like it because, this was a perfect example of what made hockey so great, pre-lockout. There's maybe a little more holding and interfering but the game was decided by the players not by a too many men call. Not by a borderline crosscheck. Not by someone feeling a stick near their feet and and folding it in to get the call. They didn't call anything chincy. Obvious trips by Toews and Ryan were called. Staal and his blatant away from play interference. The hit to head on Perry, that they were generous to not give it a hit to the head. 2 powerplays a piece and then the guys settle it

If you want fouls for every little contact you should watch basketball. The gold medal game was a prime example of a great game played by both teams and reffed even better by the officials. How often can you say that these days?

Agreed

EPIC.

It's been said here before, but this has boiled down to:

1) Canadians think the reffing was awesome

2) Americans aren't bitching, but point out a few inconsistencies

3) Canadians think that any criticism of the officiating is "bitching"

First off--I agree, to a certain extent, with some things here. Luongo had the benefit of a very quick whistle vs. what Miller was getting. On both sides, calls were missed, but the missed calls favored Canada slightly.

In hockey, I've never seen a more arrogant bunch with so little to be proud of. Congrats. You had a team of all-stars that BARELY sqeaked out a win playing trap hockey against 2nd-tier NHLers. And yet, the phrase "we won" is something that we "need to get over, blah blah blah."

Sidney Crosby is the new face of Canadian hockey, and the fans reflect it.

You mean making excuses?

And actually, you are whining.

Crying about luge (although tragic, obviously it wasn't anyone's intention to kill Nodar), crying about our attitude, crying about everything Canadian. Maybe if you and your fellow Americans didn't say so much garbage after you won the prelim, we wouldn't celebrate like we are and brag about it. Kharma is a *****, isn't it? If you can't see how your whining, I'll narrow it down to one bloody sentence. "On both sides, calls were missed, but the missed calls favored Canada slightly."

Nitpicking referees when they made sure they didn't hand the game to one team. Want to call Perry? Call the late hit too and then both teams don't gain s***. Why do Americans always have to make excuses? And don't reply saying I was whining when Canada lost, because I didn't say s*** about that game and kept my mouth shut and waited for the opportune moment. When America would fold and resort to acting like we did and look like complete asses, being hypocrites and sore losers. To all the Americans who were respectful to us, I thank you and am glad we are cheering for the same team outside of the Olympics. For everyone else,

lolamerica.png

I listen to a fair bit of anti-Canada BS on this board, and a fair bit of Canadian swagger.

But after this comment, all I can say is.

f*** YOU. You are a ******.

I wont bother commenting towards the idiocy of your comments, including the ignorance behind the 50/50 comment. You are willing to spew out hateful and wrong comments like the above, and that is all I need to know about you. You are either ignorant, or a ******, or an ignorant ******. None of which is a trait I am willing to tolerate. If you don't realize the degree to which you just insulted my country and by proxy me, it just adds to your detriments.

Wow. Congrats on setting the record for most uses of "******" in a post.

BTW, your country should be held accountable (or at least the officials) for that track. Ignoring it is just stupid. They called that turn the 50/50 turn because, literally, 50% of sledders made it....and 50% crashed. One died. Horrible, horrible, regrettable thing-- and why was the course that fast? Oh yeah, any question of it is obviously anti-Canadian. I guess being a 2nd tier country gives you an inferiority complex that makes you lash out.

Agreed

EPIC.

You mean making excuses?

And actually, you are whining.

Crying about luge (although tragic, obviously it wasn't anyone's intention to kill Nodar), crying about our attitude, crying about everything Canadian. Maybe if you and your fellow Americans didn't say so much garbage after you won the prelim, we wouldn't celebrate like we are and brag about it. Kharma is a *****, isn't it? If you can't see how your whining, I'll narrow it down to one bloody sentence. "On both sides, calls were missed, but the missed calls favored Canada slightly."

Nitpicking referees when they made sure they didn't hand the game to one team. Want to call Perry? Call the late hit too and then both teams don't gain s***. Why do Americans always have to make excuses? And don't reply saying I was whining when Canada lost, because I didn't say s*** about that game and kept my mouth shut and waited for the opportune moment. When America would fold and resort to acting like we did and look like complete asses, being hypocrites and sore losers. To all the Americans who were respectful to us, I thank you and am glad we are cheering for the same team outside of the Olympics. For everyone else,

I said there were inconsistencies. I don't think it made the difference in the game, and I don't think the majority on here are saying as much. Canada should've won that game, they did, but there were some officiating inconsistencies. I was surprised that the US was even IN that game.

I don't think it's an accusation that anyone (ref-wise) was biased, just an observation.

Regarding the luger, it's like saying that the people at Sea World didn't intend for that trainer to get killed. Yeah, but you kept a whale that killed twice before. Likewise-- why have a track that was, by all accounts, THAT DANGEROUS. It was a mistake.

Guest Four
I said there were inconsistencies. I don't think it made the difference in the game, and I don't think the majority on here are saying as much. Canada should've won that game, they did, but there were some officiating inconsistencies. I was surprised that the US was even IN that game.

I don't think it's an accusation that anyone (ref-wise) was biased, just an observation.

Regarding the luger, it's like saying that the people at Sea World didn't intend for that trainer to get killed. Yeah, but you kept a whale that killed twice before. Likewise-- why have a track that was, by all accounts, THAT DANGEROUS. It was a mistake.

Fair enough, although unlike Shamoo, the track killed one person, not three.

@ being a 2nd tier country.. we sure did ******* well, no?

Edited by Four