• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zettie85

Gold Medal Game Offciating

Rate this topic

I don't know about the rest of you but that was probably the best reffed game I have seen all year. It was like the old NHL. They put the whistles away and let them play. Didn't call anything unless it was blatantly obvious.

I would love to see this type of officiating back in the NHL. I can't believe they were Buttman's refs.

Edited by zettie85

I don't know about the rest of you but that was probably the best reffed game I have seen all year. It was like the old NHL. They put the whistles away and let them play. Didn't call anything unless it was blatantly obvious.

I wouldlove to see this type of officiating back in the NHL.

HI ZETTIE, ITS BIGRED19

HI!!!!!!!!!

totally agree though. THey let the boys play. THe way it should be

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

It was decent, however, I have never been a fan of "letting teams play". Power Plays are a part of the game. You shouldn't limit them just because they could change the game. atleast there were no weak calls

I especially loved it when they let Corey Fairy get away with a hit to the back of the head. NOT ejecting him was a great decision. And not calling penalties when Canadian players dragged Jamie Langenbrunner down from behind was a great way to just let the teams play.

Also, having different amounts of time the goalies had to have the puck before they got a whistle really evened things up, given Miller's far superior tournament.

But yeah, I think having 3/4 of your officiating crew on the ice be from one of the two countries playing led to a wonderfully fair game.

It was decent, however, I have never been a fan of "letting teams play". Power Plays are a part of the game. You shouldn't limit them just because they could change the game. atleast there were no weak calls

Agreed, but PP's can be weak, Im Old School

I especially loved it when they let Corey Fairy get away with a hit to the back of the head. NOT ejecting him was a great decision. And not calling penalties when Canadian players dragged Jamie Langenbrunner down from behind was a great way to just let the teams play.

Also, having different amounts of time the goalies had to have the puck before they got a whistle really evened things up, given Miller's far superior tournament.

But yeah, I think having 3/4 of your officiating crew on the ice be from one of the two countries playing led to a wonderfully fair game.

Get over it. It could have easily been a call when JJ elbowed the canadian player in the head at the end of the 1st

Agreed. I thought opening this thread that it was going to be a bunch of people bitching about teh refs but I'm glad not many see it this way. By far the best game of the tourny was played tongiht and the refs played a part in it by letting them play.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Officiating did not affect the game. Couldn't ask for anything more.

What a ***** ^

Officiating did not affect the game. Couldn't ask for anything more.

I counted at least 5 cross checks to the back or head by Canada during regulation that were not called. There were also a couple slashes either way not called, and Dustin Brown being offsides on Ryan Kesler's goal. Luongo was given the quick whistle even when the puck was loose near him, while Canadians were allowed to whack away at Ryan Miller, and the US was called for a questionable crease violation when an American player was in the crease for a fraction of a second early on, but Canadian players were not called when entering the crease later in the game. How does that rule work exactly? Interference was another call that was ignored; when one player would pass the player up out of the zone, and another player would try and skate around an opposing player to get to the puck and be hit there would be no call. That happened all night.

The officiating was one of the worst called games I have seen in years, both from one team getting more breaks and from inconsistency throughout the game.

I counted at least 5 cross checks to the back or head by Canada during regulation that were not called. There were also a couple slashes either way not called, and Dustin Brown being offsides on Ryan Kesler's goal. Luongo was given the quick whistle even when the puck was loose near him, while Canadians were allowed to whack away at Ryan Miller, and the US was called for a questionable crease violation when an American player was in the crease for a fraction of a second early on, but Canadian players were not called when entering the crease later in the game. How does that rule work exactly? Interference was another call that was ignored; when one player would pass the player up out of the zone, and another player would try and skate around an opposing player to get to the puck and be hit there would be no call. That happened all night.

The officiating was one of the worst called games I have seen in years, both from one team getting more breaks and from inconsistency throughout the game.

worst

ever

it was not always great there were good and bad moments, once there was a tripping call but the ref did not make the call until he heard the reaction of the crowd.. terrible also they should not have three canadian refs, in soccer they never have that the refs are always neutral. its bad they need neutral refs the game must grow

Guest mindfly

It will all be back to "normal" on monday, handing out ghost calls on a daily basis, in the NHL that is :(

Edited by mindfly

I was expecting an excuse thread and was pleasantly surprised. This game had absolutely excellent officiating and hopefully the NHL can take a cue in realizing how great the game can be without all the chincy calls.

This is the kind of comment I don't really understand.

If a penalty is committed, it should be called. If your team commits a penalty, the opposing team should get a power play because of that. Not calling valid penalties, meaning a game is played more at even strength and thus "not decided on the power play" does not mean it was good officiating. You are sitting and wondering why I say that? Because if a team is allowed to commit penalties, trip and slash the opposition, hook them, interfere, etc. not making a penalty call on the penalty is the same as calling a penalty on the team that should have the PP.

Do you comprehend that, or are you too busy thinking "Let people cross check other people in the back and no whistle be blown on the play"

If a penalty is committed, it should be called. If your team commits a penalty, the opposing team should get a power play because of that. Not calling valid penalties, meaning a game is played more at even strength and thus "not decided on the power play" does not mean it was good officiating. You are sitting and wondering why I say that? Because if a team is allowed to commit penalties, trip and slash the opposition, hook them, interfere, etc. not making a penalty call on the penalty is the same as calling a penalty on the team that should have the PP.

Do you comprehend that, or are you too busy thinking "Let people cross check other people in the back and no whistle be blown on the play"

And thats why the game was well officiated

Hmm you seem to be forgetting Langenbrunner hacking away for about 5 seconds after the whistle when the puck was behind Luongo. That easily could have been a slashing penalty and the whistle should have went 5 seconds earlier. I'm not complainging because the refs let them play both ways and called it fair both ways.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

winter_2010-vancouver-olympics-medals-gold-silver-bronze.jpg

Do you have any concept of what a sour-grapes crybaby you sound like right now? The only calls made in this game were ones that clearly needed to be made, which is how officiating should go. This "parallel to the body hooking" type of officiating needs to be expunged from our game as soon as possible. The best games are the ones where the players decide them, not the officials. This was a terrific game where the teams were allowed to truly decide it, the penalty calls were even and fair and the better team won in the end.

You must love the New NHL and it's reffing then because you ust added 10 more penalties to that game.

two post in a row from canadians breaking out the crybaby argument, terrible, the reality is 3/4 refs were canadian which is bad and if it was sweden vs finland and there were three swedish refs even the swedes would have said it was unfair

the refs was bad it was too much physical play but it was going both ways which i guess makes it fair, but just because it was fair does not make it good. it was a different style of play from the rest of the tournament which was annoying

i am glad we got the silver at least but i do not think it was good and i will be annoyed until we get revenge

Hmm you seem to be forgetting Langenbrunner hacking away for about 5 seconds after the whistle when the puck was behind Luongo. That easily could have been a slashing penalty and the whistle should have went 5 seconds earlier. I'm not complainging because the refs let them play both ways and called it fair both ways.

I didn't say the US was never allowed to get away with anything; I said it largely favored Canada in the calls that weren't made. If all of those cross-checks that weren't called are called, who knows what happens? If Brown's offsides is called, does the US still tie it up? The game is over, so we'll never know. But it was not even officiating.