• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

NHL Martketing Opportunity

Rate this topic

I'm a Business Administration Marketing Graduate, and I was thinking about this today...

If the NHL still thinks they can gain fans in the USA, they may have a great opportunity here to market their US born players to Americans. This isn't an anti-Crosby comment, as much as I don't like the guy, but I think maybe it would be wise if they took attention away from Crosby and put it towards guys like Miller, Parise, Kane, Stastny, Ryan, etc..

Two reasons why the Southern Markets have failed, is the lack of snow in those cities and lack of American talent. Think of all the excellent young American talent in the NHL now, plus the American Juniors are Champions. These are guys Americans can back and follow.

Also, the Crosby thing, even more so now, he's probably not very popular in the USA right now. Again, not an anti-Crosby rant, but I'm just seeing a excellent opportunity here for the NHL to market their product to Americans.

Edit: ooops to the typo in the title :)

Edited by Barrie

I'm a Business Administration Marketing Graduate, and I was thinking about this today...

If the NHL still thinks they can gain fans in the USA, they may have a great opportunity here to market their US born players to Americans. This isn't an anti-Crosby comment, as much as I don't like the guy, but I think maybe it would be wise if they took attention away from Crosby and put it towards guys like Miller, Parise, Kane, Stastny, Ryan, etc..

Two reasons why the Southern Markets have failed, is the lack of snow in those cities and lack of American talent. Think of all the excellent young American talent in the NHL now, plus the American Juniors are Champions. These are guys Americans can back and follow.

Also, the Crosby thing, even more so now, he's probably not very popular in the USA right now. Again, not an anti-Crosby rant, but I'm just seeing a excellent opportunity here for the NHL to market their product to Americans.

I think you're dead on, even removing the hatred for Crosby, the league would do better marketing someone like Kane (who I also cannot stand) or Bobby Ryan, who's life is pretty much a script you can't write...

I have been saying that exact thing over and over again.... Not on here but in my head and to my friends... It makes no sense to try to save a country struggling to grab the concept of hockey... by force feeding them a player that isnt even from there country.... Bettman needs a guy like Parise or Kane, a young player that is really starting to make a statement in the NHL and on the International Level... Every fan that jumped on to the crosby band wagon finally just realized they were rooting for the enemy when it came to the olympics...

Yea after Crosby scored, even though I joined in on the celebration :hehe:, my first thought was, "Crap! The Crosby thing is going to get more annoying now". But thinking about it, it may force the NHL to change their marketing strategies.

If their smart though, because the NHL isn't to smart most of the time.

If the league decides to make Patrick Kane the face of the league for marketing, I might decide to give up NHL hockey.

Better American faces for the league:

Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise, Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Ryan Miller, Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Tim Connolly, Ryan Malone, Brandon Dubinsky, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson, Matt Carle, Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader.

If the league decides to make Patrick Kane the face of the league for marketing, I might decide to give up NHL hockey.

Better American faces for the league:

Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise, Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Ryan Miller, Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Tim Connolly, Ryan Malone, Brandon Dubinsky, Keith Yandle, Erik Johnson, Matt Carle, Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader.

Ok, lets break this down:

Good: Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise

Not Marketable enough: Ryan Miller, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Jamie Langenbruner

Not Enough Star Power: Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Tim Connolly, Ryan Malone, Brandon Dubinsky, Keith Yandle, Matt Carle, Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader.

Way too quiet and shy: Dustin Brown

Yea after Crosby scored, even though I joined in on the celebration :hehe:, my first thought was, "Crap! The Crosby thing is going to get more annoying now". But thinking about it, it may force the NHL to change their marketing strategies.

If their smart though, because the NHL isn't to smart most of the time.

Yeah, I read a headline that referred to the Gold Medal Game as "The Crosby SHow".

NHL marketing in southern non-traditional hockey markets needs to include a lot of different strategies and actions than the rest of the NHL. The OP's idea is but one of them.

Hockey will never be as big as basketball or football in the US. Without a frozen pond near by, there are simply too many barriers to entry for a kid to learn to play hockey. It's f***-all expensive on every level, for one thing. My buddy's kid just finished Junior A and realized he's not good enough to keep going, so he told his parents he wanted to go to college instead of pursuing a hockey career. They said, "Sorry, but we spent all your college money on hockey over the last 13 years." So now he's in Afganistan.

You can buy a basketball for $10 and go to the park and play for years for free, at anytime of day, with any number of people including solo,for as long as you want, during which time a kid can build dreams, skills, and competitive drive that will last him a lifetime. In years to come, he will get tickets to the KNicks game because of the passion hebuilt for the game as a kid. He will relate to basketball.

You need to be able to play a game spontaneously, when you feel like it, for as long as you feel like it, in order to really build that skill level. Following the rink schedule, even if your parents can afford it and are willing to sacrifice their free time to drive you there all the frikin time, is uncomparatively limiting.

Thats why the US inner city's produce the most skilled baskteball players; they do it all day every day.

Thats why Latin America produces the most skilled baseball players; they do it all day every day.

Thats why Canada produces the most skilled hockey players; they do it all day every day.

Not Marketable enough: Ryan Miller, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Jamie Langenbruner

Not Enough Star Power: Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Tim Connolly, Ryan Malone, Brandon Dubinsky, Keith Yandle, Matt Carle, Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader.

Spoken like a true engineer.

I could market the living hell out of any of those guys.

Even this attempt is a mere taste of what could be done.

"Jack Johnson Saves the Day"

Edited by T.Low

I think Parise or Ryan would be perfect, I think Ryan Miller would be great also. But the NHL would need to do it right now. Ryan Miller stood on his head for the USA and really endeared himself to America, even in losing. He was far and away the best player in the tournament and I think even the Canadians fell in love with the guy a bit.

He is soft spoken just like Parise, but they both have that humble awesomeness to them. I think the best way to promote them is to do it gently and make them a symbol of U.S. work ethic, same with Bobby Ryan. The worst thing they could do is use the Sidney Crosby marketing model "HEY THIS GUY IS AWESOME!!!! HE IS THE BEST, NO ONE IS BETTER!!!!! LOVE HIM!!!! NOW!!!!", be subtle.

Thats why the US inner city's produce the most skilled baskteball players; they do it all day every day.

Thats why Latin America produces the most skilled baseball players; they do it all day every day.

Thats why Canada produces the most skilled hockey players; they do it all day every day.

this is the answer :thumbup:

Yeah, I read a headline that referred to the Gold Medal Game as "The Crosby SHow".

NHL marketing in southern non-traditional hockey markets needs to include a lot of different strategies and actions than the rest of the NHL. The OP's idea is but one of them.

Hockey will never be as big as basketball or football in the US. Without a frozen pond near by, there are simply too many barriers to entry for a kid to learn to play hockey. It's f***-all expensive on every level, for one thing. My buddy's kid just finished Junior A and realized he's not good enough to keep going, so he told his parents he wanted to go to college instead of pursuing a hockey career. They said, "Sorry, but we spent all your college money on hockey over the last 13 years." So now he's in Afganistan.

You can buy a basketball for $10 and go to the park and play for years for free, at anytime of day, with any number of people including solo,for as long as you want, during which time a kid can build dreams, skills, and competitive drive that will last him a lifetime. In years to come, he will get tickets to the KNicks game because of the passion hebuilt for the game as a kid. He will relate to basketball.

You need to be able to play a game spontaneously, when you feel like it, for as long as you feel like it, in order to really build that skill level. Following the rink schedule, even if your parents can afford it and are willing to sacrifice their free time to drive you there all the frikin time, is uncomparatively limiting.

Yea even in Canada Ice Hockey is turning into a rich kid's sport.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The NHL has a marketing department? Could have fooled me.

I don't know the upcoming NBC Sunday afternoon games, or the NHL schedule, but they should show Chicago, Buffalo, and New Jersey in the upcoming weeks.

Edit: Oh, and the Red Wings too, because we're awesome, and we have Rafalski :hehe:

Edited by Barrie

but I think maybe it would be wise if they took attention away from Crosby and put it towards guys like Miller, Parise, Kane, Stastny, Ryan, etc..

lol thats what all the fans around the league have been saying for the past 5 years. If the NHL hasn't got it by now they never will.

Edited by Original-Six

Yea even in Canada Ice Hockey is turning into a rich kid's sport.

This is true. It is simply too expensive a game... 300$ for skates, 100$ for a stick, 100-200$ for pads, 100-2000$ for membership fees, to say nothing of travel costs. Hell, even a weekend tournament could easily cost a family 400$+ ( gas, meals, hotel, etc... ). Even on the cheap, I doubt you could play hockey ( other than at the youngest ages ) for less than a grand a year, without some kind of support program.

As to marketing the NHL, I don't know that nationality it important, just stop playing up unlikable people... I mean really, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Crosby have been the faces in most NHL commercials, and non of those people are really likable.

I can help but think Jarome Iginla should have been the face of the NHL. Well spoken, physical and talented and yes, black. That said, he plays for a small market Canadian team and that doesn't work for Buttman. I think if Jarome ended up in New York or similar, he could have been the face of the New NHL.

Hard to market a sport that isn't on television.

It would be like marketing the English Premiere League here in the USA. Actually, that's not a good example, because espn frequently shows soccer games from around Europe. :)

Anyway, you get the point.

This is true. It is simply too expensive a game... 300$ for skates, 100$ for a stick, 100-200$ for pads, 100-2000$ for membership fees, to say nothing of travel costs. Hell, even a weekend tournament could easily cost a family 400$+ ( gas, meals, hotel, etc... ). Even on the cheap, I doubt you could play hockey ( other than at the youngest ages ) for less than a grand a year, without some kind of support program.

As to marketing the NHL, I don't know that nationality it important, just stop playing up unlikable people... I mean really, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Crosby have been the faces in most NHL commercials, and non of those people are really likable.

I can help but think Jarome Iginla should have been the face of the NHL. Well spoken, physical and talented and yes, black. That said, he plays for a small market Canadian team and that doesn't work for Buttman. I think if Jarome ended up in New York or similar, he could have been the face of the New NHL.

Iginla has been really funny in the few commercials I've seen him in. He's a natural in front of the camera and I agree, he's a great guy to market on many different levels.

Market Miller or Parise.

Market Miller, that guy is pure gold. They should realistically market a variety of players. It would be more effective if they marketed players who play in the region for that region I think.

For some reason it reminds me of all the old hockey comercials in the late 90's. I never see similar ones much anymore.

Market Miller, that guy is pure gold. They should realistically market a variety of players. It would be more effective if they marketed players who play in the region for that region I think.

For some reason it reminds me of all the old hockey comercials in the late 90's. I never see similar ones much anymore.

Yeah, they've traded the Fedorov, Sundin, Forsberg, Sakic, Roenick commercials for Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, fans of Crosby commercials :P

I said almost this exact same thing to my wife heading home after yesterday's game. This is the NHL's big chance to market the game to US fans. We should be getting a STEADY stream of Kane, Parise and Miller. Commercials, endorsements, ect. What are we going to get instead? Crosby shoved in our faces times 10.