135 replies to this topic

#1 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

per DetNews:

"Our trade deadline was Franzen, Lilja and Kronwall," he said, referring to the healthy return of Johan Franzen, Andreas Lilja and Niklas Kronwall. "Not too many teams are going to do any better than that."

While its awesome that we got back injured players, there are always opportunities to make the team stronger. Other teams do it and we should also consider options as well. Holland plays the safe card waaay too often. I'm also getting a little tired of Holland saying "We already had our tradedeadline when we.....blah,blah,blah nothing to do with tradedeadline". Seriously. He used the exact same line when it came to last year deadline as well. "We had our tradedeadline when we signed Franzen (long term)/Hossa in the offseason." Holland, buddy, those are not tradedeadline acquisitions. I for one would like to see a little shake up and excitement once in a while.

Anyyyyyway, this is the Wings team going into (if we make) the playoffs.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 01 March 2010 - 11:48 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#2 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

While I wouldn't mind seeing a deal made to bring in some more scoring (and move out one of our extraneous defensemen), IIRC our cap situation will not really permit it.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#3 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

I'm fine with that. The only question I really have leading up to this point is the goaltending come playoff time, because we all know that Howard is going to be starting between the pipes for Detroit. Will he falter? Will he rise to the occasion? Will he be of no consequence to the Wings' chances?

No need to acquire a goaltender when you have a rookie playing great and a two-time Stanley Cup winning vet backing him up.

Posted Image

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

I really hope that is code for "We are going to make a move, we're just not revealing it yet."

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Tough to say.

In one sense, we are and 8th place team and teams in that situation usually make trades to move up.

In another sense, this team looks good on paper, and there's no telling whether they'll bring it together or not. Holland seems to think they will and feels like they have the best team possible.

If I was him, I'd entertain some options and see what's out there instead of making these sweeping announcements.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

I read on that NHLSourcesSay twitter account that the wings are 'very' interested in Kozlov.

#7 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ March 1, 2010 - 11:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was him, I'd entertain some options and see what's out there instead of making these sweeping announcements.

Who says he isn't?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#8 RedWingedKitten

RedWingedKitten

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

First of all, don't question Holland please... he's Ken ******* Holland. (no offense to you OP)

We're right up against the cap. What salary do we trade, and who's (equal) salary do we add? Unless Holland gets offered a deal he can't refuse, then I say do nothing. I just think it would be really hard for Holland to make a trade that he would "win".

#9 Pavel Hossyukstrom

Pavel Hossyukstrom

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

trade Bertuzzi. He's had some nice stretches but not consistent enough.

I'd take some Afinigenov for some Bert.

Edited by Pavel Hossyukstrom, 01 March 2010 - 11:58 PM.

Champions are made of metal!!

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Why couldn't Holland just come out and say "We're definitely looking to move Lebda"?

hehe.gif
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Pavel Hossyukstrom @ March 1, 2010 - 11:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#12 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Yzermania @ March 1, 2010 - 11:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read on that NHLSourcesSay twitter account that the wings are 'very' interested in Kozlov.

Can't happen unless we send nearly 4 million back to ATL.

Those stupid rumor mills always say that former teams are interested in the players that are being traded.

Posted Image

#13 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:30 AM

Even if he was looking to do something, he wouldn't say so.

Still though, there's not much he can do with the salary cap.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#14 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

I have a feeling Bert will heat up right before the PO's. Like him or not, you have to admit that when he is on a hot streak he shows why he used to be a top 5 forward in the game.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (ShanahanMan @ March 1, 2010 - 09:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
per DetNews:

While its awesome that we got back injured players, there are always opportunities to make the team stronger. Other teams do it and we should also consider options as well. Holland plays the safe card waaay too often. I'm also getting a little tired of Holland saying "We already had our tradedeadline when we.....blah,blah,blah nothing to do with tradedeadline". Seriously. He used the exact same line when it came to last year deadline as well. "We had our tradedeadline when we signed Franzen (long term)/Hossa in the offseason." Holland, buddy, those are not tradedeadline acquisitions. I for one would like to see a little shake up and excitement once in a while.

Anyyyyyway, this is the Wings team going into (if we make) the playoffs.

We had the best team in the league on paper last season, and we had no cap space for anything. The year before that, he played it safe... and we won the Cup.

Trading players isn't like pressing a series of buttons in NHL 10. There are many, many more considerations to it.

QUOTE (Pavel Hossyukstrom @ March 1, 2010 - 09:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bertuzzi's contract expires at the end of this season. Who would take him? The trade deadline doesn't work that way.

He also costs zip and produces.

QUOTE (rage @ March 1, 2010 - 10:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those stupid rumor mills always say that former teams are interested in the players that are being traded.

Ya. I remember all the rumors about the Wings being interested in Fedorov, Lapointe etc. at the deadline in the last few years.

Edited by Crymson, 02 March 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#16 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

Last year Hossa was our deadline acqusation when we signed him in July. Wouldn't mind if Holland did something.

Posted Image

#17 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

And if Holland does something to shake things up and it comes back to bite us in the ass for several years, then everyone will be calling for his head.

#18 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Can we just fix the bottom pairing for the trade deadline :/
Lilja and someone else, PLEASE.

O.o

#19 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (rage @ March 2, 2010 - 01:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't happen unless we send nearly 4 million back to ATL.

You're incorrect. Kozlov makes 3.66 mil but the Wings would only be on the hook for about a 1/4 of that. If my math is right thats less than 1 mil. He's UFA next year.

#20 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (UP2HERE @ March 2, 2010 - 10:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're incorrect. Kozlov makes 3.66 mil but the Wings would only be on the hook for about a 1/4 of that. If my math is right thats less than 1 mil. He's UFA next year.

UPDATE: I found this on NHL.com:

How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the deadline?

The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (187). The amount ($10,695) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (41 days if trade is on deadline day) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($438,502).

Using that formula, the Wings would have to pay Kozlov 803 k.

Edited by UP2HERE, 02 March 2010 - 09:35 AM.