• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don't expect much from the Wings during Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

per DetNews:

"Our trade deadline was Franzen, Lilja and Kronwall," he said, referring to the healthy return of Johan Franzen, Andreas Lilja and Niklas Kronwall. "Not too many teams are going to do any better than that."

While its awesome that we got back injured players, there are always opportunities to make the team stronger. Other teams do it and we should also consider options as well. Holland plays the safe card waaay too often. I'm also getting a little tired of Holland saying "We already had our tradedeadline when we.....blah,blah,blah nothing to do with tradedeadline". Seriously. He used the exact same line when it came to last year deadline as well. "We had our tradedeadline when we signed Franzen (long term)/Hossa in the offseason." Holland, buddy, those are not tradedeadline acquisitions. I for one would like to see a little shake up and excitement once in a while.

Anyyyyyway, this is the Wings team going into (if we make) the playoffs.

Edited by ShanahanMan

I'm fine with that. The only question I really have leading up to this point is the goaltending come playoff time, because we all know that Howard is going to be starting between the pipes for Detroit. Will he falter? Will he rise to the occasion? Will he be of no consequence to the Wings' chances?

No need to acquire a goaltender when you have a rookie playing great and a two-time Stanley Cup winning vet backing him up.

Tough to say.

In one sense, we are and 8th place team and teams in that situation usually make trades to move up.

In another sense, this team looks good on paper, and there's no telling whether they'll bring it together or not. Holland seems to think they will and feels like they have the best team possible.

If I was him, I'd entertain some options and see what's out there instead of making these sweeping announcements.

First of all, don't question Holland please... he's Ken ******* Holland. (no offense to you OP)

We're right up against the cap. What salary do we trade, and who's (equal) salary do we add? Unless Holland gets offered a deal he can't refuse, then I say do nothing. I just think it would be really hard for Holland to make a trade that he would "win".

I read on that NHLSourcesSay twitter account that the wings are 'very' interested in Kozlov.

Can't happen unless we send nearly 4 million back to ATL.

Those stupid rumor mills always say that former teams are interested in the players that are being traded.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I have a feeling Bert will heat up right before the PO's. Like him or not, you have to admit that when he is on a hot streak he shows why he used to be a top 5 forward in the game.

Guest Crymson
per DetNews:

While its awesome that we got back injured players, there are always opportunities to make the team stronger. Other teams do it and we should also consider options as well. Holland plays the safe card waaay too often. I'm also getting a little tired of Holland saying "We already had our tradedeadline when we.....blah,blah,blah nothing to do with tradedeadline". Seriously. He used the exact same line when it came to last year deadline as well. "We had our tradedeadline when we signed Franzen (long term)/Hossa in the offseason." Holland, buddy, those are not tradedeadline acquisitions. I for one would like to see a little shake up and excitement once in a while.

Anyyyyyway, this is the Wings team going into (if we make) the playoffs.

We had the best team in the league on paper last season, and we had no cap space for anything. The year before that, he played it safe... and we won the Cup.

Trading players isn't like pressing a series of buttons in NHL 10. There are many, many more considerations to it.

trade Bertuzzi. He's had some nice stretches but not consistent enough.

I'd take some Afinigenov for some Bert.

Bertuzzi's contract expires at the end of this season. Who would take him? The trade deadline doesn't work that way.

He also costs zip and produces.

Those stupid rumor mills always say that former teams are interested in the players that are being traded.

Ya. I remember all the rumors about the Wings being interested in Fedorov, Lapointe etc. at the deadline in the last few years.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Four

Can we just fix the bottom pairing for the trade deadline :/

Lilja and someone else, PLEASE.

Can't happen unless we send nearly 4 million back to ATL.

You're incorrect. Kozlov makes 3.66 mil but the Wings would only be on the hook for about a 1/4 of that. If my math is right thats less than 1 mil. He's UFA next year.

You're incorrect. Kozlov makes 3.66 mil but the Wings would only be on the hook for about a 1/4 of that. If my math is right thats less than 1 mil. He's UFA next year.

UPDATE: I found this on NHL.com:

How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the deadline?

The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (187). The amount ($10,695) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (41 days if trade is on deadline day) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($438,502).

Using that formula, the Wings would have to pay Kozlov 803 k.

Edited by UP2HERE

I heard that Holland is spending today preparing his laurels for a nice, restful day tomorrow.

This team obviously needs help, but Holland likes to tout his off-season moves as his "deadline" and always, ALWAYS trots out the "we just got X player back. That's our deadline."

Listen, Holland is a good GM, but sometimes he sits back too much imo. I think being the GM of the Wings is actually an easier gig than most teams-- Hakan Andersson provides the players, and he's inherited some superstars over the past few years as GM (98-onward). Not bad for a former western scout whose claim to fame is finding Joey Kocur.

I for one would like to see a little shake up and excitement once in a while.

THIS is what is wrong with fans like you.

You don't care so much about the team actually getting better as you care about there being headlines and very, very short term "excitement".

And still: picking up Hossa last year wasn't exciting? Losing a ton of players and bringing in many new ones this year hasn't been enough of a "shake up" for you?

Trades for the sake of trading is NOT the way Holland operates. And it has worked pretty damn well the last 15 years. If there is a deal to be made, I'm sure Holland will do it.

But we have very, very few players that we can move and get something in return that makes our TEAM better.

trade Bertuzzi. He's had some nice stretches but not consistent enough.

I'd take some Afinigenov for some Bert.

In this dream land where the Thrashers would accept this deal why not do what makes more sense and deal Williams for Afinoganov?

Dude, think about it, if the Wings are only on the hook for a 1/4 of Kozlov's salary that means that whoever goes the other way only a quarter of his salary comes off the Wing's books. When you're pressed up against the cap Salary In = Salary Out. Think it through.

To get Kozlo, which in my opinion would be a HUGE waste, Detroit would have to ship $3.66M out to get his $3.66M in. No ifs, ands or buts.

THIS is what is wrong with fans like you.

You don't care so much about the team actually getting better as you care about there being headlines and very, very short term "excitement".

And still: picking up Hossa last year wasn't exciting? Losing a ton of players and bringing in many new ones this year hasn't been enough of a "shake up" for you?

Trades for the sake of trading is NOT the way Holland operates. And it has worked pretty damn well the last 15 years. If there is a deal to be made, I'm sure Holland will do it.

But we have very, very few players that we can move and get something in return that makes our TEAM better.

What you said right there is why you are ONE OF THE FEW posters I actually consider to know what they are talking about on this forum. I can't stand how ppl rip Holland for not making moves when the moves don't make sense in the first place.

4 Cups from '97 to present is more success than any other franchise and yet there are still fans who think it's not enough. Talk about ignorant, greedy ppl who think they know it all. If Holland made off the cuff moves like so many of these posters wished he would we would be in full rebuild mode before long. Hell, we may as well fire Holland and hire Mike Milbury if you want moves for the sake of moves.

What you said right there is why you are ONE OF THE FEW posters I actually consider to know what they are talking about on this forum. I can't stand how ppl rip Holland for not making moves when the moves don't make sense in the first place.

4 Cups from '97 to present is more success than any other franchise and yet there are still fans who think it's not enough. Talk about ignorant, greedy ppl who think they know it all. If Holland made off the cuff moves like so many of these posters wished he would we would be in full rebuild mode before long. Hell, we may as well fire Holland and hire Mike Milbury if you want moves for the sake of moves.

Holland was GM starting in 1998. The Cup in 1997 was under Bowman's watch.

In 1998, it was still the Bowman team. Holland added Dmitri Mironov and Jamie Macoun. Nice, but not much credit for doing it with someone else's team.

In 2002, he added some $20 mill in salary with Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, Olausson....not taking away that accomplishment, but adding that talent was not something each team could do--not exactly forcing him to make tough decisions.

In 2008, that was really the year you could argue he was THE guy in assembling the team-- but many players-- Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Lidstrom, Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk-- were Hakan Andersson finds that Holland drafted/signed. He did add Brad Stuart, and that was a good move.

To say that it's "all Holland" or that people shouldn't question him is silly. He's not a god. He's the GM of a team which has been very good for a long time-- he didn't assemble it, he's just (tried to) maintain it, and this year, it's obvious that he's not perfect.