• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don't expect much from the Wings during Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

I don't disagree, and I'm all for "maintaining" in many ways. I don't expect to have a Hossa fall into our lap every year while Hank and Franzen are still making next to nothing. But I don't think Holland planned well for Hank and Franzen making the big bucks. As opposed to maintaining a balanced team, he basically sat on the sidelines and watch the team fall apart in the off-season last year. There wasn't much maintenance to it so much as scrambling done after losing all your free agent's in a "shocking" turn of events.

I don't know if there's anyone better at getting the big guys to sign great contracts for the TEAM. But the last few years he seems to be struggling with the mid-level guys. It's been overshadowed by having guys like Zetterberg and Franzen playing for such low contracts, but now that he's got to get creative with a whole team, some of the deals and the chemistry aren't looking so hot, and again, to call last off-season a disaster certainly isn't an understatement, but it's not much of an overstatement either.

It'll be a huge test in the coming off-season as he'll have more opportunities to get creative with more cap space opening up and possibly some guys retiring. Furthermore, we're well into the cap era now so there won't be any surprises. It's put up or shut up. You adapt or you fail. There's something to be said for a conservative approach to be certain, but there's also something to be said for being progressive and aware of an ever-changing world. Sitting back again will only hurt this team more than they were hurt after last year.

I really don't see how he could have done much better.

Sammy was gone. Holland picked Franzen over Hossa for less money and Hossa had to walk for being a UFA. Hudler bolted for another league. You can't magically trade free agent's rights away for assets. People act like it was such a big deal because of the fact that Detroit lost so many goals. Well for starters Hossa was going to be out for half the year (how many goals has he scored this year? 17), Franzen wasn't expected to be out (and he would have had more than 17 at this point), Hudler wasn't expected to bail (Holland had no choice because of salary cap restrictions and he retains his rights when he comes back to the NHL. Sammy was simply a casulty of the salary cap because he was asking way more than Holland could offer.

The injuries came at the worst time, and there is no way Holland could have known. Datsyuk and Zetterberg's fall from grace also weren't exactly predictable (however they have been playing much better). Lidstrom was useless offensively for half the year.

This year is a result of s***ty s***ty luck. The injuries, the no-goal calls, and the vets just losing their touch for a good part of the year. Holland didn't do a "great" job (Williams) but he didn't do so bad that it will be looked back as the offseason that will live in infamy either.

This year is a result of s***ty s***ty luck. The injuries, the no-goal calls, and the vets just losing their touch for a good part of the year. Holland didn't do a "great" job (Williams) but he didn't do so bad that it will be looked back as the offseason that will live in infamy either.

Exactly, it's called adversity and many people around here have never been faced with it being a fan of this team. 20 years I've been a fan and I look back and see how spoiled I've been. A rash of bad luck and injuries, some under performing and we are fighting for a playoff spot. It's funny though, get on a good run for 20 games and then pick that magical 2 month window to play our best hockey and we could be hoisting the cup again.

For anyone and everyone waiting to get Poniko...

...http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

The Toronto Maple Leafs have a deal in place to trade forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenceman Martin Skoula and prospect Luca Caputi.

per DetNews:

While its awesome that we got back injured players, there are always opportunities to make the team stronger. Other teams do it and we should also consider options as well. Holland plays the safe card waaay too often. I'm also getting a little tired of Holland saying "We already had our tradedeadline when we.....blah,blah,blah nothing to do with tradedeadline". Seriously. He used the exact same line when it came to last year deadline as well. "We had our tradedeadline when we signed Franzen (long term)/Hossa in the offseason." Holland, buddy, those are not tradedeadline acquisitions.

Although not quite a deadline acquisition, Holland said the same thing a couple years ago and then went out and got Stuart.

For anyone and everyone waiting to get Poniko...

...http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

The Toronto Maple Leafs have a deal in place to trade forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenceman Martin Skoula and prospect Luca Caputi.

Back-2-back Cups for the Pens.

I agree.

While I don't expect anything, I'm not opposed to a move and would likely try to make one myself as I simply don't like or believe in the chemistry on this team as is. There won't be any splashes and that's fine, but some tweaks to balance things out and possibly achieve better chemistry would be nice.

And I think Holland screwed up fairly bad this last off-season. I liked the recover with Williams/Bert/Eaves, but watching so many guys walk and being wholly unwilling to make moves in order to ice the best team for the money really bit this team in the ass. I don't know if I believe him when he said he didn't anticipate all of our FA's leaving, but the bottom line is that it happened and he sat back and watched.

And to be honest, I was really surprised they announced the Franzen deal without the Hossa deal. Right before the playoffs, you send a message to Hossa that they likely won't be bringing him back. Why? If he signed both of the guys, maybe announce the deals, but maybe not too. Agree to terms if you can and save the announcement for the summer. If you do announce signings, some guys will know they're gone after the season, but no clear lines will be drawn and you'll have everyone working not only for a Cup but for a spot on next years roster. Guys like Sammy would assuredly see the writing on the wall, but I think you had to figure he was gone any way things went down so no real concern there. He wanted a payday.

Ugh...I could go on and on about all this, but the whole situation really frustrated me. I think letting Hossa go when you could've had him at a $5 million deal was nothing short of insane. Ten times more so after losing everybody else that he did! I don't think he's being honest about this teams needs, and I hope this season has taught him a lesson on the matter because our scoring is flat out embarrassing.

"Maintained" is a good word to describe Holland's stance the last few years, but now that the cap is really weighing heavy, he needs to get a little more open-minded. Some guys we could stand to let go to strengthen other areas. Some guys you have to just write off from the start (Sammy for example). And when you have a great opportunity to sign a superstar like Hossa for $5 million, you do what you have to do on all these fronts to make that happen.

If he plays it the same way this off-season, next season could be even rougher than this one. Our saving grace this year has been Jimmy Howard and unfortunately, based on how things go for so many young goalies, we have to be honest and recognize that there's a reasonable chance that he'll struggle next year. If he and Osgood struggle in the regular season and our scoring doesn't improve (or gets worse, possible...) this season will feel like the fun season...

Good post :thumbup:

Yeah, thats a hell of a deal for them. Glad to see we're quiet as usual <_<

This kinda burns me. Thats the equivalent of us giving out Lebda and Abdelkader in exchange for him. .In exchange, a 20+ goal scorer and 50+ point producer. You're telling me we don't need a consistent winger, plus player, who stacks up points? Ugh

Looking at his contract, though it is a bit high, considering he's in his final year, which means we would only be paying him about 750,00, for sure we could have made it work. Aren't we struggling to score goals?

Meh, don't mind me, I just get like this sometimes.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Crymson

Poni has 23 goals playing on the power play and playing first line minutes with Kessel. We'll see how well does on the 3rd line with no power play time. Of course, having him will help more than hurt---but note that he's far from a defensive stalwart.

Edited by Crymson

This kinda burns me. Thats the equivalent of us giving out Lebda and Abdelkader in exchange for him. .In exchange, a 20+ goal scorer and 50+ point producer. You're telling me we don't need a consistent winger, plus player, who stacks up points? Ugh

And how do you plan on getting a consistent winger, plus player, who stacks up points?

If you can't provide a solution then just don't try the armchair GM bit.

And how do you plan on getting a consistent winger, plus player, who stacks up points?

He did say, don't mind him.

Guest Crymson

I'm going to go ahead and remind you that you don't know all the facts about what's going on behind the scenes.

Now that Maltby is on LTIR, we have roughly (according to NHL numbers) 2.5 mil in cap space. We give up Abs and Lebda, thats about 275,000 and 200,000 (from 850,000 and 710,000 contracts) and would only be paying about 325,000 more to have had Ponikarovsky. Is it that hard?

March 3, 2010 // 2:05am ET

Red Wings may not be too active

TheFourthPeriod.com

Even though the Red Wings are looking for a depth forward, GM Ken Holland acknowledges he may not make a move, the Detroit Free Press reports.

"I don't see us being active," Holland told the paper.

Holland indicated that with all the injuries the team has been faced with this season, last night "was really the first time we've seen our entire team together."

With Kirk Maltby out for up to 12 weeks because of shoulder surgery, the Wings may try to replace him, but would need to move a roster player -- Brett Lebda and Derek Meech may be candidates -- in order to do so.

The Wings have been linked to Thrashers forward and former Red Wing Slava Kozlov, who has requsted a trade out of Atlanta.

"If we do anything, it'd be with a really small-salaried player," Holland said. "I've had a few people call me, but ... if someone offers me a player of significant dollars, there's no chance. We consider our depth to be in the minors, in the Justin Abdelkaders and Brad Mays and Mattias Ritolas."

TheFourthPeriod.com

Even though the Red Wings are looking for a depth forward, GM Ken Holland acknowledges he may not make a move, the Detroit Free Press reports.

"I don't see us being active," Holland told the paper.

Holland indicated that with all the injuries the team has been faced with this season, last night "was really the first time we've seen our entire team together."

With Kirk Maltby out for up to 12 weeks because of shoulder surgery, the Wings may try to replace him, but would need to move a roster player -- Brett Lebda and Derek Meech may be candidates -- in order to do so.

The Wings have been linked to Thrashers forward and former Red Wing Slava Kozlov, who has requsted a trade out of Atlanta.

"If we do anything, it'd be with a really small-salaried player," Holland said. "I've had a few people call me, but ... if someone offers me a player of significant dollars, there's no chance. We consider our depth to be in the minors, in the Justin Abdelkaders and Brad Mays and Mattias Ritolas."

Yes Holland, cause we all know how much they contribute.

worf.gif

TheFourthPeriod.com

By complete idiots who SHOULD NOT BE COVERING THE NHL!!

Slava Kozlov = 3+Million Contract which means we'd be sending ATLANTA a player w/ a Cap Hit similiar like, Flip, Kronwall, Franzen, etc.

I can totally see it now............Franzen for Kozlov strait up!!! Or how about Kronwall and Lebda, and some picks, or how about Flip plus Meech and some picks????

The people that write for the papers and their editors that allow this trash should all be fired. There is no way that the Red Wings can take on a Contract like Kozlov's this year. We'd have to send dollar for dollar the other way (Franzen, Kronwall, Flip, etc) and as Holland has said for MONTHS now, it's not going to happen.

Why do these writers still have a job??? I mean seriously. I know a good guy that has a Degree from CMU that can write better than these idiots.

You must understand what you are writing about before...................yeah, I give up...........

By complete idiots who SHOULD NOT BE COVERING THE NHL!!

Slava Kozlov = 3+Million Contract which means we'd be sending ATLANTA a player w/ a Cap Hit similiar like, Flip, Kronwall, Franzen, etc.

I can totally see it now............Franzen for Kozlov strait up!!! Or how about Kronwall and Lebda, and some picks, or how about Flip plus Meech and some picks????

The people that write for the papers and their editors that allow this trash should all be fired. There is no way that the Red Wings can take on a Contract like Kozlov's this year. We'd have to send dollar for dollar the other way (Franzen, Kronwall, Flip, etc) and as Holland has said for MONTHS now, it's not going to happen.

Why do these writers still have a job??? I mean seriously. I know a good guy that has a Degree from CMU that can write better than these idiots.

You must understand what you are writing about before...................yeah, I give up...........

Yeah, Kozlov is no way gonna happen. We could have sneaked in Poni's 2 mil salary (which at this point would have been about 750,00) nut Kozlov would just be too much. Its sad, cause if he had signed for perhaps 1.5 mil (which would be about 550,000 at this point), I would have welcomed him back.

The way I see it we won't be doing much of anything today except a waiver drop or draft pick pickup. And really, aside from those who want to see something done just to make a move, this team is coming back to 100% healthy and that alone means Holland is figuring let's see where we are at with a complete roster at Babcocks disposal.

I may be in the minority here as well, but I expect alot more this playoff coming up than a first or second round exit. For f%#^ sakes the media knowitalls are picking LA PHI and NJ over us. I expect to see a healthy lineup produce this year, not next. We've had it hard the first half but if there's any team who isn't really a true 7th or 8th seed, it is us. Now get on a roll, and win some damn games and a top 4 Western Conference seeding. Possible Cup winners I keep hearing are Pittsburgh? Chicago? San Jose? ...... how about Detroit?? Am I alone on this???

Go Wings!!!

Edit: these TSN clowns just compared Osgood to Huet saying if Detroit could win with Osgood why can't Chicago??? And the annual 'SHARKS are the team to beat' has also started. SMFH

Edited by motorcitykid

I would like to thank Ken Holland for signing Jason Williams to a $1.5 million deal.

That $1.5 million under the cap would be about $5 million annual salary today that we could take on.

But thanks for Jason Williams, Kenny. Hopefully Hakan Andersson can bail you out again with a European find.

The way I see it we won't be doing much of anything today except a waiver drop or draft pick pickup. And really, aside from those who want to see something done just to make a move, this team is coming back to 100% healthy and that alone means Holland is figuring let's see where we are at with a complete roster at Babcocks disposal.

I may be in the minority here as well, but I expect alot more this playoff coming up than a first or second round exit. For f%#^ sakes the media knowitalls are picking LA PHI and NJ over us. I expect to see a healthy lineup produce this year, not next. We've had it hard the first half but if there's any team who isn't really a true 7th or 8th seed, it is us. Now get on a roll, and win some damn games and a top 4 Western Conference seeding. Possible Cup winners I keep hearing are Pittsburgh? Chicago? San Jose? ...... how about Detroit?? Am I alone on this???

Go Wings!!!

Edit: these TSN clowns just compared Osgood to Huet saying if Detroit could win with Osgood why can't Chicago??? And the annual 'SHARKS are the team to beat' has also started. SMFH

While I admit I have been on the fence for awhile now in having my doubts of our playoff chances -- if we do make it I think we could make a deep run.. I mean think about it.. It's march and our team is finally healthy.. Most of the guys just got a 2 week break.. We're pretty rested, besides Z/Pavs/Lids/Raffy/Flip. There is potential as long as we A) make the playoffs and B)try to get up in the standings a little bit more.

I would like to thank Ken Holland for signing Jason Williams to a $1.5 million deal.

That $1.5 million under the cap would be about $5 million annual salary today that we could take on.

But thanks for Jason Williams, Kenny. Hopefully Hakan Andersson can bail you out again with a European find.

Finally someone who gets it.

Where have you been all my life?

Oh and before all you crazy Holland brown-nosers go nuts, please remember that Anderson, NOT HOLLAND, single-handedly found Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It had absolutely nothing to do with Holland.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Finally someone who gets it.

Where have you been all my life?

Oh and before all you crazy Holland brown-nosers go nuts, please remember that Anderson, NOT HOLLAND, single-handedly found Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It had absolutely nothing to do with Holland.

My friend, the problem is, people don't realize there are many pieces involved in a championship team. The Wings success=Ken Holland to many people. The reality is, he's a mediocre GM who has benefitted from an amazing scouting department.

Does that mean he's bad? Nah. But how many times has he actually been creative in getting things done? Hossa? Sure, that was nice, but he can't (typically) pull off much more than a scrub or prospect for 3rd liner/7th defenseman. He's too afraid.

I give him credit for perhaps having an out of body experience in 2008 with the Stuart addition. You know what was strange about that? The Wings had a need (defense) and he went out and got what we needed. How often do the Wings need a defensman and we end up with Cory Cross, or Todd Gill (part 2), or Jiri Slegr etc? How often to we address the need for a forward by adding Kyle Calder?

He's just not that into this...lol

My friend, the problem is, people don't realize there are many pieces involved in a championship team. The Wings success=Ken Holland to many people. The reality is, he's a mediocre GM who has benefitted from an amazing scouting department.

Does that mean he's bad? Nah. But how many times has he actually been creative in getting things done? Hossa? Sure, that was nice, but he can't (typically) pull off much more than a scrub or prospect for 3rd liner/7th defenseman. He's too afraid.

I give him credit for perhaps having an out of body experience in 2008 with the Stuart addition. You know what was strange about that? The Wings had a need (defense) and he went out and got what we needed. How often do the Wings need a defensman and we end up with Cory Cross, or Todd Gill (part 2), or Jiri Slegr etc? How often to we address the need for a forward by adding Kyle Calder?

Agreed. And whats even more funny about the Hossa signing was that Holland didn't even make a big push for him. In fact, Holland even admitted that he believed there was absolutely no chance of landing him, so didn't even try. He was actually at a gas station when he got a call from Hossa's agent saying Hossa wanted to play for the Wings. Caught by surprise, Holland then said he can be the 2nd highest paid player behind Lids and Hossa accepted. Wasn't really that amazing of a pull off.

1. trade is not "throw away scrubs", somebody must want them...dont treat other GMs like fools, fans

2. Red Wings is not the center of the universe, for good players there is tough competition.

3. when something did not happen it does not mean that GM did not try.

It irritates me that somebody must remind here very basic stuff.

Also, keep that in mind that next season deals depend on decision by Lidström. Practically Holland can't make any moves before Lidström has made up his mind.

Edited by hokike