• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Kirk Maltby has shoulder surgery

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...y_has_shou.html

Red Wings' Kirk Maltby has shoulder surgery, not expected to return for playoffs

By Ansar Khan

March 02, 2010, 3:23PM

The Detroit Red Wings don’t expect to have forward Kirk Maltby for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, after surgery Tuesday on the 37-year-old forward’s right shoulder revealed more damage than anticipated, general manager Ken Holland said.

“The damage to the shoulder is a lot worse than we anticipated,’’ Holland said. “There is bone chips, micro fracture.

“If we make it to the third or fourth round of the playoffs, there is a chance he could be back, but we anticipate his season is over.’’

Maltby’s career as a Red Wings, which began in March 1996 when the club acquired him in a trade for defensive prospect Dan McGillis, could be over as well.

“From talking to him, I think he’s like to play (next season),’’ Holland said. “I have interest in him coming back. A lot depends on if his shoulder is in good shape. We’ll address it in June.’’

I hope that shoulder is good in time for the golf course in April. :hehe: Just kidding.

Seriously, though, he's been one of my favorite players throughout the years and it sucks that he's stuck around a little bit longer than he should have. If he comes back next year, I just don't know what he can add to the team.

Maltby was an important part of this team for a long time but I think its time to move on and I hope they do not re-sign him to anything. Miller and Eaves have both fit into this team and I would rather see the ice time given to either of them or Abdelkader. Good luck Malts, hope you get better fast amd i also hope you decide to go into another direction. I think once retired the Grind Line should reunite to host a Wings game talk show or maybe a Grind Line segment similar to Coaches Corner!

Maltby took one for the team here. We needed the cap, he needed the surgery. He is a valuable part of the PK unit but there are also good replacements for him.

It would be a shame to think that his career is over, he has been such a huge part of the team for so long. I'd like to think they could sign him for minimum next year and he can play in GR and some games up here when we need him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was done too.

Best of luck with the shoulder Maltby, thanks for all the good service.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...y_has_shou.html

Red Wings' Kirk Maltby has shoulder surgery, not expected to return for playoffs

By Ansar Khan

March 02, 2010, 3:23PM

The Detroit Red Wings don’t expect to have forward Kirk Maltby for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, after surgery Tuesday on the 37-year-old forward’s right shoulder revealed more damage than anticipated, general manager Ken Holland said.

“The damage to the shoulder is a lot worse than we anticipated,’’ Holland said. “There is bone chips, micro fracture.

“If we make it to the third or fourth round of the playoffs, there is a chance he could be back, but we anticipate his season is over.’’

Maltby’s career as a Red Wings, which began in March 1996 when the club acquired him in a trade for defensive prospect Dan McGillis, could be over as well.

“From talking to him, I think he’s like to play (next season),’’ Holland said. “I have interest in him coming back. A lot depends on if his shoulder is in good shape. We’ll address it in June.’’

he is retiring?? depending if his shoulder is better, holland wants him bck next season..

If this is truly the end for Malts it’s a sad way to go. He took one for the team and for that we should be grateful but it’s much more than that. This signifies the end of an era.

I’ll never forget the Grind Line and what they have done for this franchise on and off the ice. Malts, Drapes, and D Mac, a band of brothers that worked just as hard as the blue collar fans who’ve supported them over the years. Whether they were scoring cup clinching, drought ending goals, killing penalties without sticks and throwing their bodies in front of shots or mucking it up in the corners, these 3 guys defined the Red Wings just as much as the Captain, Norris Nick, and Scotty.

Take a moment and think about it, they may have hung around a little longer than most but we the fans got to witness 4 championships because of it.

I suspect we have seen the last game by Mr. Maltby in the winged wheel. Hats off to you Kirk, may the grind line live forever.

In my mind, it will. :(

No hockey team has ever had the "group" dynamics the Red Wings have had. The Grind Line, and the Russian Five. No one, not anywhere - can ever match what we got to enjoy as Wings' fans.

If this is truly the end for Malts it’s a sad way to go. He took one for the team and for that we should be grateful but it’s much more than that. This signifies the end of an era.

I’ll never forget the Grind Line and what they have done for this franchise on and off the ice. Malts, Drapes, and D Mac, a band of brothers that worked just as hard as the blue collar fans who’ve supported them over the years. Whether they were scoring cup clinching, drought ending goals, killing penalties without sticks and throwing their bodies in front of shots or mucking it up in the corners, these 3 guys defined the Red Wings just as much as the Captain, Norris Nick, and Scotty.

Take a moment and think about it, they may have hung around a little longer than most but we the fans got to witness 4 championships because of it.

This is a great post. The only thing I would add is that he had to be playing with a lot of pain. But he DID.

Beautifully put.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back as a 13th next year for minimum wage. He would be a healthy scratch unless someone is injured, but as an injury replacement, he's still fine for the job, especially with the new, improved shoulder. Then he and Drapes can go out together.

I've thought all along this year that he'd be back for one more year to retire with Draper. He may not add a ton these days, but for the money, it's not a bad deal. He's still a solid odd guy in/out who's not a liability and he provides a veteran presence that you can't really minimize, especially with this team. I don't think it's going to be as easy as some think to put together a solid team front to back again come the off-season, and at that point, Maltby for around the league minimum probably won't seem like such a bad deal after all. We'll see how it all really goes, but I really do think he'll be back and that he'll retire with Draper next year.