• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Original-Six

KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Rate this topic

John Anderson was on some sports show a few weeks back and he said he has heard Kovy is going to the KHL on like a 2-3yr contract at like 10-15mill....and then come back to the NHL and will not want as much money when he does come back and will only be 30yrs old

Guest Lidstromboli

Quick question. Can't KHL draft players or sign kids?

i think the KHL does have a draft

Frolov is another player the KHL is targeting but I believe Kovalchuk said he wants to stay in the NHL and win a cup.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322799

Only time will tell.

As for the KHL having a lower tax and offering all this $. I say go right ahead if they can actually sustain it. You have Lada Togliatti droping out cause they couldn't meat financial requirements from what I read and you also have teams merging in HC MVD and Dynamo Moscow.... so how healthy is that league? Granted 2 new teams were added as well apparently for next season.

Oh and the Stanley Cup is way better than the Gagarin Cup.

John Anderson was on some sports show a few weeks back and he said he has heard Kovy is going to the KHL on like a 2-3yr contract at like 10-15mill....and then come back to the NHL and will not want as much money when he does come back and will only be 30yrs old

Doesn't Jagr make like $10M? Kovie could probably demand upwards to twice that if the rules allow it. He can get a long $10M per year contract in the NHL - more taxes though I suppose.

horrible assumption

Can you show that teams in the KHL are profitable. From everything I've read, they aren't. Ticket prices are low, stadiums are (relatively) small, advertising is abundant but not enough, etc. It seems that, for now, the KHL is almost a status symbol for the owners. They seem to be losing money each year, but many of the owners have money to lose.

Seems like we've got an expanding Russian contingent here at LGW - every time a discussion of the KHL's financial insolvency comes up, a Russian shows up to debate the assertion. Maybe they don't understand how capitalism works yet, it hasn't been long enough. WorkingOvertime is spot on, KHL teams only exist because of parent companies (and their state-run monopolies, in this case) that can afford to overpay players. That league doesn't make anywhere near enough on attendance to work otherwise, not with these bloated super-contracts. If Gazprom was a legitimately private enterprise and they started losing money tomorrow, they'd cut their losses and another team would be folding that same day.