• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Official Poll: Filppula at 3 Mil. or Hossa at 5.4 + return for Filppul

Rate this topic

Filppula vs Hossa  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Filppula is a redundant piece, not useless, but redundant. We have several players who play a strong two-way game, who are good passers. Until Flip develops the ability to finish, its Hossa hands down. The Wings need a sniper or two. Guys who can score at will. We have too many guys who are the same two-way defensively responsible forwards who are good passers. They need someone who is selfish, who shoots first, and thinks pass as a last ditch effort. Hossa had the swagger of a sniper. And he would have been the better choice.

It's not a straight flip + return vs hossa, theres much more to it that that. Of course right now the Hossa option looks better but what about when Hossa is 37-41 and still making 5.4 mil? The fact is that it doesnt make sense to have 3 players locked up for 10 years into their 40's. I'm a bit worried about having Z locked up for that long as I don't see him being an impact player when he loses a step, but that's another topic all together.

Also whats our 3rd line going to look like without flip and one of bert/willy. Flip is a solid 3rd line center

The way I see it if you resign Filppula to another contract you are essentially stuck with another long term contract only for an inferior player. I Doubt Hossa would keep playing at 38, and besides the way inflation works even a 38 year old Hossa would not be a DRASTIC overpayment.

True story. Especially considering the cap keeps rising a bit each year. You look at the market price of some of these mid-level guys and you think (and I forgot this but you're right) Hossa would've signed here for actually a lot less than he signed for in Chicago......lasdfjkjkl;asdfsdfjkl....PAIN AND ANGUISH!!!!!!

Here is a great stat to define the two players....

Last 3 years average.

Filppula - 109 shots on goal / season

Hossa - 303 shots on goal / season

I love players who WANT to score, there are so few in the league who play like a Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, players with a "Gimme the puck!" mentality. And Hossa can bury it.

Someone once called Filppula "Pine Furniture"......no finish.

It's not a straight flip + return vs hossa, theres much more to it that that. Of course right now the Hossa option looks better but what about when Hossa is 37-41 and still making 5.4 mil? The fact is that it doesnt make sense to have 3 players locked up for 10 years into their 40's. I'm a bit worried about having Z locked up for that long as I don't see him being an impact player when he loses a step, but that's another topic all together.

Also whats our 3rd line going to look like without flip and one of bert/willy. Flip is a solid 3rd line center

We got a real good idea of what the team would look like without Flip this year. The verdict? He's for the most part inconsequential. In fact, the team had their best stretch of time when he was OUT of the lineup.

When this team starts playing well, I have confidence that Filppula will grow into his contract and be a very valuable 60 point centerman. Hossa's contract is complete and utter garbage. The Hawks are going to enjoy it for a couple of years, but it's going to cripple them down the road. It was a very shortsighted play by the Hawks to overload their cup drive. I'm sure we all agree that he won't play until he's 42, but even if he retires at 40, they're still paying him a very large sum for his late 30's. We've already got enough chips tied up in long-term contracts for forwards and it was a very smart move by Holland to cut ties with Hossa rather than getting entwined in a contract that would cripple the team down the road.

Filppula.

^This

Hindsight is definitely 20/20.

Filppula was signed to the deal he was with the anticipation that he would be the 2nd line center, and when he plays that role he is worth the contract IMO. Am I opposed to the idea of moving him if the right deal came along? No, as much as I like him as a player I realize this is a business and with very few exceptions, no one is safe in the current climate of free agency, salary cap, and the forced parity that we must deal with as fans. I also don't think that trading him for draft picks would be smart, granted we have some of the best scouting in the world, draft picks are a crap shoot and for every late round gem that Hakan Andersson & co find, there are as many if not more players that do not live up to their scouting.

Hossa on the other hand, I never placed much faith in being able to keep him anyway. People say that it was a matter of a million dollars to keep him, but as others have pointed out, how many lifetime deals can one team afford to have?

I guess I do not see the direct correlation that others see between keeping Filppula and Hossa signing with Chicago, but maybe that's just me. I think that the worst thing that happened to us over the off-season was Hudler skipping on his arbitration, that situation really hand-cuffed Holland in a way that no one could have anticipated.

BTW, I voted for Filppula in the poll, too.

So can we start a campaign to try and trade for Hossa in the off-season??? After all, Chicago is going to HAVE to shed salary somewhere. I don't know if Hossa has a NTC or NMC, though I hope he does in this case as he could then say he'll only play for Detroit making a trade slightly easier. Considering they've got guys like Campbell that simply aren't tradeable, if they want to trade a guy to create a lot of space, Hossa's the easiest guy to move, even if it's too a division rival!

I HAVE A DREAM!!!!!!!!!!

It's time to right our wrongs and bring Hossa back to Detroit!!!

In fact, the team had their best stretch of time when he was OUT of the lineup.

you've said stuff like enough this to make me believe you really think this team is BETTER without Filppula.

you hate him, it's okay, just admit it. wings7 hates him, redwingsabner hates him and lilja4mvp hates everyone. I don't care, but admit it to yourself, for yourself.

Depends on the deal Hossa would get.

If it is a long term, no thanks. Too many guys with long term contracts and the longer time goes on the harder it is to get rid of any of them if need be. It also will kill the Wings if the cap goes down and they are sidelined by all these expensive contracts (in time they will be expensive for the player behind them).

So, n/a for me.

you've said stuff like enough this to make me believe you really think this team is BETTER without Filppula.

you hate him, it's okay, just admit it. wings7 hates him, redwingsabner hates him and lilja4mvp hates everyone. I don't care, but admit it to yourself, for yourself.

You can't argue with the stats that back this all up. Just because you have a strange man-crush on Filppula, doesn't mean we do too.

He's an adequate 3rd line center that can't finish. Get over it.

You can't argue with the stats that back this all up. Just because you have a strange man-crush on Filppula, doesn't mean we do too.

He's an adequate 3rd line center that can't finish. Get over it.

What stats back what up? The wings playing their best hockey when 1/2 the team out has nothing to do with Filppula being it, it has to do with half the team being out. Learn hockey.

He's a good second liner that through some travesty is only playing on the third line. 16 points in 21 games on the second line. those are the stats that can't be argued against.

What stats back what up? The wings playing their best hockey when 1/2 the team out has nothing to do with Filppula being it, it has to do with half the team being out. Learn hockey.

He's a good second liner that through some travesty is only playing on the third line. 16 points in 21 games on the second line. those are the stats that can't be argued against.

Dude, Brett Lebda could probably tally 16 points in 21 games when your linemates are Z/D/H/F. The truth is the guy can't finish for the life of him and seems to miss even the EASIEST of tap in goals.

The bright "future" everyone seemed to talk about just never seemed to come for this kid.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Can someone bring up the numbers to show what the team would look like with Hossa for Filpulla?

Who would need to go for the Hoss to be a part of this team other than Fil?

Just losing Filppula obviously wouldn't do it. You'd probably have to lose Williams and Bertuzzi.

Hossa Datsyuk Homer

Franzen Z Cleary

Draper Helm Eaves

Maltby Miller May

Dude, Brett Lebda could probably tally 16 points in 21 games when your linemates are Z/D/H/F. The truth is the guy can't finish for the life of him and seems to miss even the EASIEST of tap in goals.

I'm really trying to hard to insult you here, because Filppula doesn't play with any of them...

In that stretch, Filppula has played with Cleary, Miller, Bertuzzi, Ritola. Give him Franzen and he arguably could have been a PPG player over that time. Filppula has not played with anyone better than him at even strength this year.

And no, Filppula is not a goal scorer, but he's a great setup man.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I'm really trying to hard to insult you here, because Filppula doesn't play with any of them...

In that stretch, Filppula has played with Cleary, Miller, Bertuzzi, Ritola. Give him Franzen and he arguably could have been a PPG player over that time. Filppula has not played with anyone better than him at even strength this year.

I remember him getting some top line minutes here and there but regardless, he's done very little to impact his team. It's prob. a good thing that he doesn't get many top line minutes. Do you remember when he WAS getting top linetime, like in the 09 finals, where his line got utterly DOMINATED by the Malkin line? I think he finished with like 1 or 2 assists? The guy can only match up against other mediocre players.

Also has no points in his last three just to boot.

I remember him getting some top line minutes here and there but regardless, he's done very little to impact his team. It's prob. a good thing that he doesn't get many top line minutes. Do you remember when he WAS getting top linetime, like in the 09 finals, where his line got utterly DOMINATED by the Malkin line? I think he finished with like 1 or 2 assists? The guy can only match up against other mediocre players.

Also has no points in his last three just to boot.

He gets top line minutes yes, but he doesn't play with anyone you mentioned. Sorry. You're wrong.

Malkin is a better player than Filppula. Go figure. Also, he's not the only player on his line.

The last two games he has played with a 4th liner and Williams. He isn't going to keep up the pace he was when he was playing on the second line.

Basically what it comes down to is your making idiotic arguments. Do the world a favor and just shut up.

Edited by Z and D for the C

And yet even though Hossa has only played TWO more games then Filppula, he has MORE assists and triple the amount of goals Filppula does.

Okay, Hossa has played 3 (three ;)) more games, has 2 more assists, and plays with the likes of Kane and teows, while filppula plays with Bertuzzi and Cleary. care to re-think your argument? s*** this comes out in my favor. Thanks.

But yeah, Hossa is 10 times the goal scorer flip is. I'm not disputing that.

He gets top line minutes yes, but he doesn't play with anyone you mentioned. Sorry. You're wrong.

Malkin is a better player than Filppula. Go figure. Also, he's not the only player on his line.

The last two games he has played with a 4th liner and Williams. He isn't going to keep up the pace he was when he was playing on the second line.

Basically what it comes down to is your making idiotic arguments. Do the world a favor and just shut up.

If he can't keep up with opposing top line players, then you have no business advocating he should be on a top line himself. Let him stay comfortable and deal with the other mediocre 3rd line players he's used to dealing with.

Oh and I did some digging and did find that there were indeed times he played on the top line (Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom), especially at the beginning of the season. So its not like he hasn't been moved around a bit.

I mean, Homer has played only 13 more games yet has stilled riled up more points. He's also a -7.

Don't get me wrong....he's not BAD, he's just no where close to as good as you see him and simply incomparable to Hossa. Overall, just not that impressive for guy who you see to be this top line phenom.

<!--quoteo(post=1909506:date=March 3, 2010 - 09:05PM:name=Z and D for the C)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ March 3, 2010 - 09:05PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What stats back what up? The wings playing their best hockey when 1/2 the team out has nothing to do with Filppula being it, it has to do with half the team being out. Learn hockey.

He's a good second liner that through some travesty is only playing on the third line. 16 points in 21 games on the second line. those are the stats that can't be argued against.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bright "future" everyone seemed to talk about just never seemed to come for this kid.

So your point is a 3 million dollar player can't put up 2nd line points with out having a top six teammates?? Stop playing complimentary 2nd liners with, 3rd liners and you will get what you pay for. Take that scrub Cleary off the top 6, put flip there and I bet he produces more.

Edited by ben_usmc

<!--quoteo(post=1909523:date=March 3, 2010 - 09:33PM:name=Z and D for the C)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ March 3, 2010 - 09:33PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He gets top line minutes yes, but he doesn't play with anyone you mentioned. Sorry. You're wrong.

<b>Malkin is a better player than Filppula. Go figure.</b> Also, he's not the only player on his line.

Basically what it comes down to is your making idiotic arguments. Do the world a favor and just shut up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If he can't keep up with opposing top line players, then you have no business advocating he should be on a top line himself. Let him stay comfortable and deal with the other mediocre 3rd line players he's used to dealing with.

Oh and I did some digging and did find that there were indeed times he played on the top line (Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom), especially at the beginning of the season. So its not like he hasn't been moved around a bit.

I mean, Homer has played only 13 more games yet has stilled riled up more points. He's also a -7.

Don't get me wrong....he's not BAD, he's just no where close to as good as you see him and simply incomparable to Hossa. Overall, just not that impressive for guy who you see to be this top line phenom. properly

Maybe you shouldn't be looking at this as having Flip cost us Hossa rather, Hollands horrible Raflawski/Cleary/hudler contracts are why we lost Hossa.

IMO, Holland's thinking was Filppula + Hudler > Hossa + picks at a similar cap hit.

I do not really disagree with that, but obviously he did not plan well with Hudler.

As it is, Filppula + Bertuzzi/Williams + Miller/Eaves is still arguably better than Hossa + picks... so I'm really not complaining.

If Hossa had a stronger playoffs, I would have been a hell of a lot more upset, however.