• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Official Poll: Filppula at 3 Mil. or Hossa at 5.4 + return for Filppul

Rate this topic

Filppula vs Hossa  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't want to read through this whole thread, but has it been mentioned that Chicago also signed Kopecky for $1.2 million (overpayment) in addition to Hossa? The two are best friends and I'd bet there was a "package deal" type thing going on there. You're essentially paying Hossa $6.4 million for the duration of Kopecky's contract since Kopecky brings nothing to the table. Granted, Hossa at $6.4 million is still somewhat of a bargain but the Wings weren't going to bring back both of them.

Wait, I am reading that Holland OFFERED Hossa a 12 year 4-point-something million dollar cap hit, but he chose to sign in Chicago for more than 5 mil. Doesn't this mean that we should be discussing Holland letting Hossa walk for the 5+ million figure instead of the 4+ million?

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/07/tsn_marian_hossa_close_to_sign.html

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/06/talks_continue_between_red_win.html

EDIT: It seems the OP meant for that, but people are throwing around the 4 million figure as if Hossa wasn't offered that contract. How much would the Wings have had to lose to gain Hossa for 5.4 million?

A) Of course the agent is seeking a $6 million contract. Hossa's proved that his agent doesn't run the show when he signed with the Wings in the first place. His agent was negotiating for more money than Lidstrom made, and Hossa apparently got on the phone himself and said, "Pay me less than Lidstrom, I don't care." And again, do you think his agent was thrilled about him walking away from all the monster-deals being thrown his way for a 1-year deal? I'm not saying Hossa doesn't believe he's worth good money, but I don't think one can say it's a priority of his at this point, even when considering the Chicago deal.

B) I'm almost positive Holland went on the record saying that they didn't even offer him a $4 million cap hit deal. As I said, I distinctly recall this because I remember saying that the amount was almost an insult to Hossa. As in, why even bother negotiating when you're offering far lower than rock-bottom dollar for a legitimate star. Holland played it like a low-baller on Craigslist.

C) I absolutely think Hossa would have signed the deal with the Wings for a $4.5 million cap hit. He suggested being willing to many times throughout the season, and I really don't believe he was simply playing the PR game. I think it's very obvious that he loved playing here. Remember, he was shocked because he was expecting to be traded to Detroit over Pittsburgh before the 2008 run. Pittsburgh came in with a better deal last minute, but they were already negotiating a 1-year extension. That was suggested mildly in a few places beforehand, but blatantly discussed in the Detroit News (I think) mid-season last year. Perhaps you recall. Bottom line, Hossa wanted to be a Wing, I don't think anyone can argue that and I have not a single, solitary shred of doubt that he would've signed a deal with the Wings for $4.5 million, and I think it would've been wrong if he signed for anything less than that. As I said, anything less is just insulting in the context of the rest of the NHL.

D) We needed to get through one year of cap hell. Sacrifices would have to be made, but in return you get one of the best wingers in the game who fits into the Wings system as well as anyone at a great price. This summer, things ease up and we can balance things out a bit better again. Plus, the cap will probably keep increasing. Even at $5 million, this was a no-brainer deal to me for the long-run.

E) Honestly, a $6 million cap hit over 5-6 years would not have even bothered me. This year would be a bit rough, but ummm, this year has been a bit rough. And I think to anyone looking at it objectively, you knew it was going to be an adjustment, "scrape by" kind of year any way it went.

F) So give me Hossa for the long haul, damnit!

C) I absolutely think Hossa would have signed the deal with the Wings for a $4.5 million cap hit. He suggested being willing to many times throughout the season, and I really don't believe he was simply playing the PR game. I think it's very obvious that he loved playing here. Remember, he was shocked because he was expecting to be traded to Detroit over Pittsburgh before the 2008 run. Pittsburgh came in with a better deal last minute, but they were already negotiating a 1-year extension. That was suggested mildly in a few places beforehand, but blatantly discussed in the Detroit News (I think) mid-season last year. Perhaps you recall. Bottom line, Hossa wanted to be a Wing, I don't think anyone can argue that and I have not a single, solitary shred of doubt that he would've signed a deal with the Wings for $4.5 million, and I think it would've been wrong if he signed for anything less than that. As I said, anything less is just insulting in the context of the rest of the NHL.

First of all, you're assuming Hossa would've played here for $4.5 million. You can't assume that. Secondly, it seems to me he really wanted to play with Kopecky, as I mentioned in my other post in this thread. He earned Kopecky a pretty solid raise, a raise the Wings wouldn't have been able to afford.