• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Crashnburnluder

How Many....

Rate this topic

I wanted to get a thread going that I will update everynight that will tell us exactly how many points we need to guarantee a playoff position.... Please keep in mind at first the numbers are going to be incredibly high and unrealistic, but as we win games and other teams lose games the numbers will begin to fall (aka... this is going of the idea that the current ninth seed would go undefeated the rest of the season)

Current as of 3/3/2010 (IF Calgary loses)

GR = 19

Points Needed = 38

Minimum amount of wins = 19

GO WINGS....

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Current as of 3/5/2010 (IF Calgary Wins)

GR = 18

Points Needed = 36

Minimum amount of wins = 18

Once again with Calgary most likely going to get the W tonight we really haven't had much help in the standings situation... hopefully NJ pulls of a miracle and can at least just keep them to one....

but on a good note... MUCH better performance tonight.

As long as we beat teams that are right behind us, we really just need to stay at .500 and we'll probably be in.

But we probably won't make it out of the first round.

This is probably true but I do SO enjoy reading about how none of the top teams really want to play us if it comes to that. Keeps my spirits up. :)

If you're interested in things like these, a good site to check out is http://sportsclubstats.com. They run a massive number of simulations to the end of the regular season to calculate the probabilities that a team will make the playoffs. What's great about this is that it takes into account things like two teams that are both battling for a spot playing against each other.

So it seems that mathematically, we need to go about 13-3-2 to guarantee a spot in the playoffs. The worst we could do and still sneak in seems to be 5-11-2.

In a real world scenario, I believe that we need at least 95 points to make the playoffs.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/02/red_wings_face_uphill_playoff-.html

21 points in 17 games...

So that means that we need to win 11 of the next 17 games.

yea.... my numbers are really high because of the fact I'm going of the fact that Calgary will go the rest of the season winning every game... this what happened... but like I said... this is following what we need to guarantee playoffs... If the Flames lose today that would help us out....

The answer is one more than 9th place team.

Forget trying to calculate how many ... you never know how things will pan out, just keep on winning and we're in control of our destiny.

yea i know... but if we win a couple and they lose a couple... it could give us a lot of breathing room especially since we play the flames twice.... and anaheim and dallas losing helps our cause....

Vancouver just had a surge and is beating Nashville 3 to 2 in the waning minutes of that game. Calgary is beating Minnesota by one with less than ten minutes to go.

I hope Vancouver does to Nashville what they did to us. If not, I'll hate Vancouver.

As for Calgary, I knew they'd win as soon as we did.

Can't wait till we play these teams again. That will make or break us.

Calgary seals it with a second goal from their captain.

No team is helping us right now.

That's O.K.

At least we've pulled away from teams like Dallas, Minnesota, Anaheim and St. Louis.

Like I said, now it's three teams fighting for two spots. We just need Nashville to lose, so that we can remain one point ahead of them.

Just look at it this way, Calgary losing would have meant us losing. That's how it seems to work.

Nashville just lost, so we're one point away from 7th now. Unfortunately we're also one point away from 9th with the inevitable Flames' win.

That's fine.

We have a big advantage on those 2 teams in terms of talent. If we bring it every game, we'll make the playoffs. Those teams probably can't say the same with their rosters.

We just can't have any games like the Vancouver game where we don't try hard. If we show up every game, we'll make it in.

Beating Chicago will be huge for this team. As long as the team breaks even in wins and losses, and other teams don't go on huge win streaks the team can make it in. Just to make it more comfortable they should win like what, 60-75% of their remaining games?