• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Wow... this forum feels... awkward

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!

An awkward forum is better than no forum at all. Give it a while and Matt will get everything back to normal.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

So how can Matt prevent this from happening again?

I don't honestly know much about this kind of thing and how the whole "hacking" thing works and how easy it is to do it.

Outside one or two instances over the last couple of years the ads have not been a security problem. The issue, in the hacking attack that took down the forums, was solely due to outdated forum software that had a security vulnerability. That has been eliminated, as promised.

The Google "blacklist" issue that popped up is due to the same thing -- outdated programming (in this case the content management system that controls the areas of the site outside the forums). That hole is still there but it's affecting only one file as the others have been permanently disabled. That issue will be rectified shortly as well.

Don't worry, it's going to happen this weekend! I'm currently trying to see if I can just keep this one live for a day or so while I develop the "main" skin on a hidden forum, then release it finished. (Rather than piecemail it in.)

I'm excited for it. Although it's not what I'm worried about right now, any idea if we'll see a March wallpaper schedule posted? Until then, I'm using one I found on another site. It's just not the same as yours though. :hehe:

So how can Matt prevent this from happening again?

By keeping the programming up to date. The problem was that the jump from the previous version to this is large (not a 2.3.4 to 2.3.5, but a jump from 2.X to 3.X) and there were several intricate modificatons to the previous version that may have "broken" the upgrade process. That's gone now.

As long as there is an internet, there'll be hackers. You've just got to be diligent in staying ahead of the game.

I'm excited for it. Although it's not what I'm worried about right now, any idea if we'll see a March wallpaper schedule posted? Until then, I'm using one I found on another site. It's just not the same as yours though. :hehe:

The March wallpaper I intended to get finished tonight, but that was before what went down yesterday. I'll probably be pushed to sometime next week. I had to pull my laptop out of the repair shop this evening when I received notice that the backup was restored and the upgrade was in progress. (My laptop isn't completely fixed yet, but I can use it in the interim.)

The focus this weekend is to get the forum looking more like itself (though an "updated" look I've been wanting to do) and then get the wallpaper out. I've had to re-prioritize in the interim.

Yes. :) Just need to do some remodeling this weekend.

Let's go with some earthtones. The red and white causes by monitor to clash with the wall in the computer room. Maybe with some soft Chopin in the background.

As an aside, the forum software that was being run here was very outdated. I purchased a license (that ad revenue at work, mindfly) for the latest version last August but was unable to a response from my host at the time. The events of Thursday morning I think will have an overall positive outcome: updates to the site that weren't completed earlier on are now getting attention, and that's good news for everyone.

:thumbup: way to be positive about the site being hacked!

I notice the information underneath each poster's name has changed, with the hobbies and post count being included.

Is that going to stay?

Also the 150x150 avatar size. Is that staying? 150x150 is way better than 150x100 or whatever.

So somebody actually took the time to hack this site? So... they literally studied computers and technology for years of their life, all leading up to the point where they could... hack the LGW forums? To post a picture of a black chicken? I cannot even possibly imagine a much more pitiful and pathetic existence than one where you would feel compelled to take the trouble to hack this site. What a world we live in.