• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Wow... this forum feels... awkward

Rate this topic

Does that mean I came off like an *******? Because I honestly wasn't going for that.

Pretty much. :lol:

No, I just likely wouldn't have come off as polite. I'm tired of people bitching about nickle and dime s*** when they're lucky the forum is up and running. That, and I see in red and white anyway.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Wow, a -114 rating for myself presently. :D

Seriously, I'm not all that special. Somebody honestly really needs to find better use of their time instead of just marking and spamming people's reputations on here up and down a bajillion points a day.

I'll restate like on the previous page, I really don't care about my own status/rep thingy on here, it's just pretty pitiful and humorous the attention somebody is giving me regarding it. More of me being curious.

Are there different filters or rules you can set on the reputation level if it is kept, or is this the best way the Web site environment works as it is presently laid out Matt? Because I wouldn't be too shocked if every now and then you're just going to have members who just don't like others (or overly like some people perhaps), and want to spam somebody's rep level to absurd numbers.

It's happened to me two days in a row now. And I personally don't care and am not crying about it in terms of bad reputation, I think it could actually be a fun feature if used better/not spammed, just something else possibly worth considering whenever you get close to wrapping the Web site up.

EDIT: To further and quickly add after I skimmed a few threads I typically go in most days being naturally curious, it's sad when you are the only one getting - rep posts, or reputation posts of any kind, in the Water Cooler when there is no other activity in there regarding the reputation status, either + or -. Random threads in the water cooler that have pretty much nothing to do with anything and are about as unharmful and non-offensive to people as it can get. There's no reason to really use the reputation feature in those threads over and over again since those threads aren't offending or don't have much to do with hockey talk typically.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I think Matt needs to scrap the Reputation System. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. While there are truly positive and fun uses for it, the dingbats who want to be petty and vindictive will spoil it for the rest of us and maybe you shouldn't give them a toy to play with if that's what they're going to do with it.

I gave you a "+" for your post, are you singing a different tune now? :P Joking aside, I agree with you. It's a great feature if the system was used responsibly, however that will probably never be the case.

I gave you a "+" for your post, are you singing a different tune now? :P Joking aside, I agree with you. It's a great feature if the system was used responsibly, however that will probably never be the case.

I do appreciate it. That doesn't mean I don't think this system is ripe for abuse, though. I feel bad for good posters who always make great contributions to this place only to find those contributions basically crapped on.

It sucks.

I do appreciate it. That doesn't mean I don't think this system is ripe for abuse, though. I feel bad for good posters who always make great contributions to this place only to find those contributions basically crapped on.

It sucks.

I'm fairly confident that's why Matt decided to only put each member's reputation within their profile and not under their posts. While the system can be abused, if its used properly it should be quite effective and beneficial for the boards.

We all have to keep in mind that its a going to be a work in progress and Matt and Co. will work out the kinks as we move on. As I said before, once the novelty of this wears off hopefully people will use it for what its meant for and not personal vendettas such as what one member (whom I know who it is) did to me in my Trade Deadline thread.

We all have to keep in mind that its a going to be a work in progress and Matt and Co. will work out the kinks as we move on. As I said before, once the novelty of this wears off hopefully people will use it for what its meant for and not personal vendettas such as what one member (whom I know who it is) did to me in my Trade Deadline thread.

See?! I TOLD you it wasn't me!

Wow, a -114 rating for myself presently. :D

Seriously, I'm not all that special. Somebody honestly really needs to find better use of their time instead of just marking and spamming people's reputations on here up and down a bajillion points a day.

I'll restate like on the previous page, I really don't care about my own status/rep thingy on here, it's just pretty pitiful and humorous the attention somebody is giving me regarding it. More of me being curious.

Are there different filters or rules you can set on the reputation level if it is kept, or is this the best way the Web site environment works as it is presently laid out Matt? Because I wouldn't be too shocked if every now and then you're just going to have members who just don't like others (or overly like some people perhaps), and want to spam somebody's rep level to absurd numbers.

It's happened to me two days in a row now. And I personally don't care and am not crying about it in terms of bad reputation, I think it could actually be a fun feature if used better/not spammed, just something else possibly worth considering whenever you get close to wrapping the Web site up.

EDIT: To further and quickly add after I skimmed a few threads I typically go in most days being naturally curious, it's sad when you are the only one getting - rep posts, or reputation posts of any kind, in the Water Cooler when there is no other activity in there regarding the reputation status, either + or -. Random threads in the water cooler that have pretty much nothing to do with anything and are about as unharmful and non-offensive to people as it can get. There's no reason to really use the reputation feature in those threads over and over again since those threads aren't offending or don't have much to do with hockey talk typically.

-114 is completely dumbfounding. But it can't be just one poster. Everyone has a limited amount of rep votes for each day. So it's definitely at least 4-5 posters, if not more. Getting into any heated debates lately or anything?

-114 is completely dumbfounding. But it can't be just one poster. Everyone has a limited amount of rep votes for each day. So it's definitely at least 4-5 posters, if not more. Getting into any heated debates lately or anything?

Nope. There have been moments in the past obviously being that I've been a member on here for a while but definitely not lately. Even if there were it'd probably be with people who could care less about the rating or rep thing that badly either.

Some may not like me, that's fine, doesn't bother me at all. Not looking for acceptance or a fan club. I am who I am and probably not much on here will change that, nor will I change people on here myself in all likelihood. I don't have personal vendettas against anybody here nor would have much of a worthwhile reason to have one, especially when it comes to rating somebody in an Internet forum.

Your guess is as good as mine is to what I might have done recently or over a lengthy period to warrant this, or over a lengthy period, because I don't have any grudges with people and nobody that I can think of has any beef with me to where I think I'm being stalked obsessively or where I should tell somebody to just leave me alone. If this is a revenge factor towards me for somebody or some people, knock yourself out I guess if it makes you sleep easier at night. It's pretty embarassing though.

I've never seen a reputation system abused on any other forum I use that has it, so seeing it abused here is rather mind-boggling. :blink:

One forum I go on goes by a "karma" system and has a lock down of two hours before you can give or take "karma" from that same person again, but there's no limit on how many times you can give it to different people in a day. Another forum with a similar reputation system to this won't let you give reputation the same person again until you've given some to other people (a button message will pop up saying "you must spread some reputation around before you give it to that person again!").

It works well on both sites and I think it could work well here too, but people need to stop being idiots about it and spamming people with negative reputation when they don't deserve it. That defeats the entire purpose. <_<

I've never seen a reputation system abused on any other forum I use that has it, so seeing it abused here is rather mind-boggling. :blink:

One forum I go on goes by a "karma" system and has a lock down of two hours before you can give or take "karma" from that same person again, but there's no limit on how many times you can give it to different people in a day. Another forum with a similar reputation system to this won't let you give reputation the same person again until you've given some to other people (a button message will pop up saying "you must spread some reputation around before you give it to that person again!").

It works well on both sites and I think it could work well here too, but people need to stop being idiots about it and spamming people with negative reputation when they don't deserve it. That defeats the entire purpose. <_<

Yeah, the ones I've used were like that too. And on top of that, whenever you rep'd somebody, you had to enter a reason, and it was viewable by everyone.

Yeah, one of my other forums makes you enter a reason too, but it's not viewable to everyone (except maybe mods, but I'm not sure on that), only the person you give the rep to (or take from, whichever is the case).