• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

New Orleans Chris

Hi all... new to hockey...

Rate this topic

Hi. I am a New Orleans resident who is fairly new to hockey. I attended a few ECHL (extreme minor league) games when we had a team in New Orleans, and have been missing it ever since. My one NHL experience was a Blues game in St. Louis.

I have chosen to follow the Red Wings, mainly because I have always been fascinated by Detroit, and also because they are playing the Blackhawks today. I already hate Chicago because of the Bears (Saints fan), and I think they may be one of the Red Wings' main rivals?

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself, and apologize in advance for any forthcoming dumb questions (I'll try to keep them to a minimum).

And please, no Katrina jokes. :cool:

Welcome! You're not the only New Orleans Wings fan around these parts.

You made a sound choice.

EDIT: The boards don't typically look like this. Site just got hacked this week, which is why the boards look generic.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Welcome! You're not the only New Orleans Wings fan around these parts.

You made a sound choice.

EDIT: The boards don't typically look like this. Site just got hacked this week, which is why the boards look generic.

ok. I was wondering about the site. I can't seem to find on it a lot of the things I am used to on my Saints' site.

Again, thanks for the welcome guys. Looking to learn a lot about hockey. The Olympics really drew me back in, and I am thinking about getting some kind of hockey package if my cable provider has it. :cool:

Hi. I am a New Orleans resident who is fairly new to hockey. I attended a few ECHL (extreme minor league) games when we had a team in New Orleans, and have been missing it ever since. My one NHL experience was a Blues game in St. Louis.

I have chosen to follow the Red Wings, mainly because I have always been fascinated by Detroit, and also because they are playing the Blackhawks today. I already hate Chicago because of the Bears (Saints fan), and I think they may be one of the Red Wings' main rivals?

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself, and apologize in advance for any forthcoming dumb questions (I'll try to keep them to a minimum).

And please, no Katrina jokes. :cool:

Welcome! We need more hockey fans in your area :) Thanks for dropping in and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Congrats on the Superbowl win, by the way.

Welcome! We need more hockey fans in your area :) Thanks for dropping in and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Congrats on the Superbowl win, by the way.

I'd love it if we could get back a minor league team. Those games were so fun.

Thanks for the SuperBowl congrats. I'd say it was a dream come true, but I honestly don't even think that describes it.

I'd love it if we could get back a minor league team. Those games were so fun.

Thanks for the SuperBowl congrats. I'd say it was a dream come true, but I honestly don't even think that describes it.

and now to I guess the biggest question(s)- what are the chances the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup this year? I have been reading the site some, and I think I saw somewhere that they haven't won since 1993, but I also saw that they are 11-time champions. I don't mind rooting for a team that isn't great (I am a lifelong Saints fan, after all), but looking at the standings, the Red Wings seem to be pretty good.

Edited by New Orleans Chris

The wings won in 97, 98, 02 and in 08. We have been super lucky. This is the first year that the Wings have not been a dominant force in 20 years. Chances of winning the cup this year not very great. They need to make the post season which is what they are on the brink of right now.

We have been spoiled as Wing's fans. We have an amazing franchise. It is a shame you missed out on the great Steve Yzerman though. He was definitely one of a kind. #19 :clap:

Edited by zettie85

The wings won in 97, 98, 02 and in 08. We have been super lucky. This is the first year that the Wings have not been a dominant force in 20 years. Chances of winning the cup this year not very great. They need to make the post season which is what they are on the brink of right now.

Cool. I am going to go to the Red Wings site and try to learn the history. How many teams from each conference (?) get to the playoffs?

Hmmmm, site gets hacked, and as soon as it comes back up, we get a new member? Sounds a little fishy...

All (unfunny) kidding aside, welcome to the boards. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only things you'll get crucified for are:

Saying Ozzie sucks

Saying Ozzie is awesome

Saying Filppula sucks

Saying Filppula is overpaid

Saying Filppula is great

Saying Filppula is OK

Saying we should trade Filppula

Saying Babcock is a good coach

Saying Babcock isn't a good coach

Saying we won't make the playoffs

Saying we don't deserve to make the playoffs

Saying Bertuzzi sucks

Saying Holland is the best GM

Saying Holland isn't that great, that he's just lucky

I'm sure I'm missing some, but I think you get the point :lol: Questions about the game and about the team are always welcome though :thumbup:

Edit:

Cool. I am going to go to the Red Wings site and try to learn the history. How many teams from each conference (?) get to the playoffs?

8 teams from each conference. The winner of each division gets seeded 1,2,or 3 automatically, then the 5 next best teams from each conference, regardless of division get seeded 4-8.

Edited by SeeinRed

8 teams from each conference. Right now the Wings are in the final playoff spot in the western conference right now.

Well, the history on the official site isn't working, but at least I got to see all the Stanley Cup banners.

I'll try to steer clear of having opinions on players until I at least know all the rules of the game. Point taken.

Wikipedia has an extensive team history on them if you want to check that out.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Ok. How does the points system work?

On a more personal note, I'm glad the colors are just red and white, and not red and black. I have some personal animosity against the Atlanta Falcons which would have been hard to get over.

Well, the history on the official site isn't working, but at least I got to see all the Stanley Cup banners.

I'll try to steer clear of having opinions on players until I at least know all the rules of the game. Point taken.

:lol:

I was (half) joking about that stuff. It will actually be refreshing to see what someone newer to the game thinks about certain players, about the officiating, about everything really.

For example, clearly I can't view anything Filppula does with any sort of objectivity. Since I have him in my signature, I must be in love with him. And there's a whole bunch of reasons other people have unreasonable expectations of other players, or aren't hard enough on them. But you aren't tainted by the same things we are yet.

Basically what I mean is, it's good to have opinions and share them here, even if you're not Scotty Bowman. You'll soon learn who the trolls are, who the *insert player here*-slappies are, who the stupid ones are, and who the intelligent, knowledgeable hockey fans are.

Does that all sound jaded? I feel like it kinda did.

On a more personal note, I'm glad the colors are just red and white, and not red and black. I have some personal animosity against the Atlanta Falcons which would have been hard to get over.

2 points for a win.

1 point for an overtime loss or a shootout loss.

0 points for a regular loss.

After 60 minutes if the game is tied they play 4 vs 4 for 5 mins which is the overtime. If you lose you still get 1 point. If it is still tied after that it goes to a shootout. You still get a point for losing in the shootout.

2 points for a win. If the game ends in a tie, each team gets a point. They go to a 4 on 4 5-minute overtime then. If there still is a tie after overtime, there is a shootout and whoever wins the shootout gets the extra point.

Edited by Hockeymom1960