• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Ok, explain this one to me. I understand the idea of "immediate payback" by having an enforcer. I've been a hockey fan for a long time, I grew up watching Probert and Kocur. But explain to me how eliminating the instigator rule gets rid of injuries.

Better yet, explain it to Cam Neely. Explain it to Pat LaFontaine. Explain to them about how enforcers protect star players from cheap shots. I bet they'd like to hear it as much as I would.

It's very easy to point out when, and where players were injured, and yet the enforcer didn't prevent it from happening thus giving ammo to the anti-enforcer crowd...It's hockey afterall, and yes nobody here including myself has ever claimed that enforcers will deter cheapshots by 100%...A more interesting question would be exactly how many attempts, or thoughts of going after guys like Yzerman, or Fedorov were deterred/thwarted because guys like Probert, Kocur, McCarty, Shanahan, etc, etc were out there?

As for the instigator rule - the vast majority who have to fear it's removal are those who have a penchant for taking liberties on their unsuspecting opponents...I watched an interesting interview of Shanahan talking about the instigator rule; he didn't have a problem with it...In fact he said that if he wanted to go after someone - he'd risk the extra 2 min pen, and rely on the teams strong pk to take care of business.

If anything - the teams tuff guy will make the opposition think twice about going after anyone - unless of course they don't mind having to answer for their actions...Not to sound redundant, but if tuff guys weren't needed - why do they exist on many teams rosters?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#82 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

It's very easy to point out when, and where players were injured, and yet the enforcer didn't prevent it from happening thus giving ammo to the anti-enforcer crowd...It's hockey afterall, and yes nobody here including myself has ever claimed that enforcers will deter cheapshots by 100%...A more interesting question would be exactly how many attempts, or thoughts of going after guys like Yzerman, or Fedorov were deterred/thwarted because guys like Probert, Kocur, McCarty, Shanahan, etc, etc were out there?

As for the instigator rule - the vast majority who have to fear it's removal are those who have a penchant for taking liberties on their unsuspecting opponents...I watched an interesting interview of Shanahan talking about the instigator rule; he didn't have a problem with it...In fact he said that if he wanted to go after someone - he'd risk the extra 2 min pen, and rely on the teams strong pk to take care of business.

If anything - the teams tuff guy will make the opposition think twice about going after anyone - unless of course they don't mind having to answer for their actions...Not to sound redundant, but if tuff guys weren't needed - why do they exist on many teams rosters?

My point was not that tough guys weren't needed; it was that if a guy like Cooke is going to throw a dirty hit, he's not going to say"Oh no, they have an enforcer on their roster. I'd better not." It's going to happen.

The secondary question I had was, of course, this one. You want to eliminate the instigator to allow enforcers to extract payback for dirty hits. What happens when it's a legal hit thrown by one team's star player at another team's star player, and the second player's enforcer extracts payback by going after the first guy, injures him, and puts him out for a week?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#83 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

My point was not that tough guys weren't needed; it was that if a guy like Cooke is going to throw a dirty hit, he's not going to say"Oh no, they have an enforcer on their roster. I'd better not." It's going to happen.

The secondary question I had was, of course, this one. You want to eliminate the instigator to allow enforcers to extract payback for dirty hits. What happens when it's a legal hit thrown by one team's star player at another team's star player, and the second player's enforcer extracts payback by going after the first guy, injures him, and puts him out for a week?

How do you know what Cooke thinks?

For all we know he might think twice about going after another teams top player? I could very well be wrong, but then again I may not be...Either way he's the villain everyone hates, and is the reason why many folks tune in with hopes he gets "his".

As for the star on star violence; I kinda see a guy like Mike Richards soon to be on the recieving end of a nasty hit; he's been dishing them out, and it's about time an opponent gives him a taste of his own medicine.

Most tuff guys believe in, and go by the "code" that more or less makes it a sin to go after an opponents skill players whom aren't accustomed to fisticuffs (from what I recall pre-instigator rule there weren't too many cases of skill guys getting jumped by the opposing enforcers - although the Yzerman/Maguire incident is the only 1 off the top of my head)...That said I dunno if the instigator rule would prevent a tuff guy from going after the opposing teams star player (if the guy is hell bent on getting revenge - he'll do it regardless of the rules).

If a guy known for his scrapping ability did in fact go after a star player (instigator rule, or no instigator rule) he'd most likely become a "marked man" by the opposition, and better have eyes on the back of his head.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#84 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

To be honest, once a player takes a cheap shot I don't even give a s*** about the "code". I'm absolutely fine with a player like Downey or whoever pummeling the s*** out of whoever takes a run at one of our players. I don't care if it's Orpik or Briere or Malkin. You step into the ring, you get your ass beat, end of story. That's an enforcer, not, you hit Zetterberg so I'm gonna fight your enforcer bulls***. Whoever commits the crime gets his ass beat hard, end of f***in' story.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."